This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 01:18:44 am    Post subject:

This is obviously only for those who have a decent knowledge of asm programming.

As I was looking through the z80 & assembly forum I noticed a ton of topics with questions from/about asm28days. A lot of them were started by many of the people who now answer most asm questions/are the ones making incredible asm games. I'm just curious to see how much of a monopoly Sigma has :)

(I put this in Open Topic since it's not really "Development and Programming")

Last edited by Guest on 20 Dec 2008 01:19:17 am; edited 1 time in total
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 05:41:14 am    Post subject:

asm in 28 days is, by far, the best tut i found on the web

the only "hard" thing about it is the first few lessons...
benryves

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 06:34:37 am    Post subject:

CoBB's Z80 guide and AsmGuru for me.
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 07:26:32 am    Post subject:

I likewise used CoBB's z80 guide.
Galandros

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 08:17:25 am    Post subject:

I learned all the basis and most I know from ASM in 28 days.

I tried at first ASMguru but it was bad organized and hard to get along who start from scratch. Giving an example, the direct input tutorial was kind of stupid to someone who knows nothing of low functioning. He didn't know how that worked and made the tutorial... And understanding how the things work is always the best way to learn. And because of that there was a legacy of people who just copy and paste the code of direct input from ASMguru... Besides I understand the author difficulty to find how that worked without easy documentation at that time...

After I read a little Cobb's which has some good complements to ASM in 28 days and other documentation around. I have to review many things from the TI-OS documentation but only after I get good habits in "no-stub".

There are more 2 or 3 tutorials around. One is similar to ASMguru. (reminds) The others are their own style. And there is some documentation of z80 around that served to me as complements. a I have to post my large links of calculator stuff.

The Sigma was and still is definitely a great contribution to ASM programming in TI83+/84. I have being watching his new tutorial. >_>

Last edited by Guest on 20 Dec 2008 08:20:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 09:35:59 am    Post subject:

AsmGuru meant nothing to me at first.... asmin28 is by far the best!
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 10:15:51 am    Post subject:

What happens if we learned by referencing ASMin28Days, AsmGuru, and CoBB's along with everything we guessed?
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 11:41:52 am    Post subject:

Harrierfalcon wrote:
What happens if we learned by referencing ASMin28Days, AsmGuru, and CoBB's along with everything we guessed?
[post="130535"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That makes you an educated, well-informed programmer, and that's your own a fault, not mine :P

Seriously, the point of this was I wanted to see for how many people ASM in 28 days had a significant part in their learning Asm. If that's you, vote "Asm in 28 days", if not, vote "other".
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 12:05:26 pm    Post subject:

I voted "other."

My major reference was the Wouter Demunyck tutorial at karma.ticalc.org. It's pretty fair to say it's the 82/CrASH equivalent of Asm in 28 days--yet it stands apart in a lot of ways. Even after all this time, I still reference it a couple times a year for its detailed Shift & Rotate Chapter. Or others.
CoBB

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 12:46:05 pm    Post subject:

If we’re talking about Z80 asm, I picked it up from various online sources and my own experiments, since there were no decent guides back then and one had to wade through an incredible mass of misinformation... Yes, I wrote my own guide out of sheer frustration. Very Happy But I already had several years of x86 assembly experience when I started playing around with Z80, so it was no big problem. As for x86, I learned it from a book and by looking at disassembled code in a debugger, since I hadn’t even heard of internet at that age...
Galandros

Posted: 21 Dec 2008 10:13:14 am    Post subject:

Now remains to know where sigma learned assembly for z80. xD

Talking about assembly made me curious about x86 and ARM assembly. Maybe I make a post for that discussion. I have already fed my curiosity in wikipedia Razz
Hopefully the syntax of x86 is similar with that we use for z80. But ARM seem to be quite different besides the instructions available seem similar. (I only saw a bit of ARM source)
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 21 Dec 2008 10:28:55 am    Post subject:

One thing that helped me learn z80 asm was learning asm for the RISC architecture. I found a book that teaches programming specifically for the spim simulator of a 32 bit mips machine. The biggest difference is that you have built in commands to multiply and divide and when you do a call, the value is not stored on the stack, but rather in a register. Therefore, if you want to make a call within a call you have to store the $ra register onto the stack yourself. It forces you to be rigorous in how you set up the frames on the stack for calling sub-routines.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Dec 2008 02:06:56 pm    Post subject:

Sadly, I learned off AsmGuru, since the 83+ didn't exist at the time and it really was the best you could do. It took a long time to learn because neither me nor the tutorial author knew what we were doing, but we stumbled along together until eventually we knew what we were doing. He eventually got hired by TI and wrote AppGuru, so it's hard for me to hate either him or AsmGuru.

If someone were to ask me to recommend something to use, though, it would be Learn TI-83 Plus Assembly in 28 Days. No one should even look at AsmGuru unless you're learning the 83.

Last edited by Guest on 21 Dec 2008 02:07:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement