This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 Dec 2008 08:49:48 am    Post subject:

I think that it might be interesting to see in what types of field different people here work.

Currently I have two different jobs. I work at a local restaurant as a cook. I started this job last year to pay the bills for college and the car. It's a pretty cook place. As a cook, I also get to take people's orders. We are a cafeteria style restaurant where you place your orders directly with the cooks. I will be leaving this job after Christmas break is done to make more room for my other job.

I also work at a local web-development firm called e4mediagroup. It is a pretty small firm and our entire office consists of one room in a reclaimed factory in downtown Grand Rapids, but it is really fun working with the other developers. I am the resident psd --> html / css cutter. If I finish up all of my sites than I also do some other odd tasks as well. They haven't let me mess around with the CMS yet, but I do know php quite well and can figure my way around javascript.

So that's what I do. I make enough money to pay for college and all my bills, with a little left over. Where do other people work?
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Dec 2008 09:40:30 am    Post subject:

I'm just a student... secondary school.
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 13 Dec 2008 01:10:30 pm    Post subject:

I'm not working right now (first semester in college) but next term I'll be a math tutor. I'll also be working on a research project, for which I'm getting a $2500 grant so I don't have to be a full-time student with a full-time job while working on this project.
Art_of_camelot

Posted: 13 Dec 2008 01:58:49 pm    Post subject:

Retail for now, and that's all I'll say. :ninja:
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 13 Dec 2008 02:18:05 pm    Post subject:

Coder of Tomorrow. Razz
lordofthegeeks

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Dec 2008 02:24:56 pm    Post subject:

work at my grandpa's box factory and am homeschooled. I am on my last year of highschool.
GloryMXE7
Puzzleman 3000

Posted: 13 Dec 2008 05:31:40 pm    Post subject:

student my parents would like me to start looking for a job
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 Dec 2008 05:35:55 pm    Post subject:

I'm finishing my first semester at Binghamton University, and I have so many club involvements that I don't have time for a job...
GloryMXE7
Puzzleman 3000

Posted: 13 Dec 2008 06:57:43 pm    Post subject:

well this kidas like a job well my highscool band makes subs as a fundraiser
so i have to sell subs then help make them and then distribute the one s that ive sold to their respective buyer before the subsale beggins there are donuts and the subs taste great
we had one sale this morning
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Dec 2008 07:03:19 pm    Post subject:

I "work" swiping people's cards to let them into the dining hall. It's ridiculously easy, but paid homework time is nice.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 Dec 2008 07:49:48 pm    Post subject:

I work at a pool store Total Pool Care I recoded the site from scratch it was some M$ Frontpage crap. but anyways yeah that's where I work. I Mainly do retail work and water tests I don't get nearly as much time to work on the site as I'd like but w/e.

Last edited by Guest on 13 Dec 2008 11:06:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 Dec 2008 08:16:25 pm    Post subject:

magicdanw wrote:
I'm finishing my first semester at Binghamton University, and I have so many club involvements that I don't have time for a job...
[post="130295"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Oh snap! We both go to Binghamton.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Dec 2008 10:01:33 pm    Post subject:

haha, always epic win when that happens.

umm, I spent the summer lifeguarding and looking for performance bottlenecks in the middlebury college supercomputing cluster, since then I've been doing a lot of freelance programming and computer repair. Doing my lifeguarding next week. If any of you guys do any work with CNC routers and want some software to speed up your workflow send me a PM
benryves

Posted: 13 Dec 2008 10:29:13 pm    Post subject:

Freelance programmer, chiefly working in web development.
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 Dec 2008 10:32:02 pm    Post subject:

I go to college and as of a recently am jobless.

While I should, I don't think I'll be getting a job over winter break.
nitacku

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Dec 2008 01:52:43 am    Post subject:

Currently I'm employed as a co-op at Delphi Automotive.
I use cad software to design and draft the components that go into making a halfshaft.

A halfshaft on a vehicle connects the differential to the drive wheels.
A typical halfshaft consists of:
1 C/V joint assembly
1 triglide joint assembly
1 axle bar
2 boots (one for each joint)
4 clamps (two for each boot)
1 spider (part of triglide joint)
90-120 roller needles (part of triglide joint)
3 roller balls (holds needles against spider)
6 ball bearings (part of c/v joint)
1 cage (holds bearings)
1 inner c/v joint (has 6 tracks for the bearings)
1 bushing (turns the triglide's trilobal profile into a cylindrical geometry for the boot to connect to)
8 various retaining rings to hold components together

There may be a few other components depending on the design, especially if the halfshaft assembly is using a female housing instead of a male housing.

I also prototype new designs for the company as well. They have a few 3D printers I can send cad models to and get a plastic replica created. I've always wanted to create a chess set using the printers, but I don't think my boss would allow that...
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Dec 2008 02:36:51 am    Post subject:

Currently:
Working full-time in Wisconsin as the Electrical Engineer for a manufacturing firm. I'm still in training but basically I make sure everything we churn out is up to spec. It's a little Quality Control, a little technical writing, a little maintainence & repair, and a dab of applied polymers. Benefits don't kick in for another month, but they're on the way.

I did freelance reverse engineering this summer. Basically on a contract-by-contract basis. It's cool cause you set your own hours, negotiate your own pay, etc.
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 14 Dec 2008 01:44:55 pm    Post subject:

I used to do some freelance web-development and that was pretty sweet. I'm happy with the firm that I am with now. It is pretty small (only 5 of us in a suite in an old reclaimed factory). The benefits are that I am now payed an hourly rate instead of per job. It also means that I no longer have to be the one actively searching for jobs. We usually have close to 30 websites from the design stage to the cutting to the programming stage at once. While there are only 5 of us in the office, we have quite a few regular freelancers that we send jobs to on a regular basis.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 14 Dec 2008 04:11:08 pm    Post subject:

Currently I am a contractor for work, and college student, paying my own tuition as I go. This combination doesn't leave much free time to do anything including sleep most days.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 14 Dec 2008 05:53:23 pm    Post subject:

Fourth year student at RIT in NY. Currently co-oping for half a year as a software developer for a company that makes software for managing railroads/trains, then going to hopefully coop at this company in California for another half a year. My current co-op is pretty awesome as I have a lot of freedom to improve or add to any part of the system I want, and my changes get very quickly put into actual use by rail systems all over the world.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement