This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Galandros

Posted: 15 Nov 2008 07:59:34 am    Post subject:

Well I exchanged TI-Connect to Tilp.

Made the recommend steps: uninstalled TI-Connect then install Tilp.
I had some time to get used to the GUI but now I am fine. I have the correct drivers installed because I can send and receive almost all stuff from my TI-84+SE.

But sending a true Group it goes wild. Windows pops up that a unknown device is connected, rightly after (or at the same time), the calculator goes off, TiLP doesn't respond.
Final: I can't send any of my groups to the calculator. And is boring sending and grouping all things incalc. And I didn't see in TiLp documentation this bug.
This is the worst. Also I can't send some pictures (.8xi file type if I remember right) to my calc because Tilp doesn't recognize them correctly. But this is the least compared to groups.

Oh my calculator OS is 2.43, boot 1.02 and Tilp is 1.1.2.0 (most recent I think).
And I use Windows XP 32-bit.

Someone has a solution or explanation or should I report this bug?
EDIT: sending gropus I mean the real groups incalc and .8Xgrp received. Sending .8xp is fine but Tilp actually sends as many single programs and variables.
And also what is .8xp and .8xgrp compability to TI-Connect? I still have TI-Connect in another computer...

Last edited by Guest on 15 Nov 2008 08:06:45 am; edited 1 time in total
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 15 Nov 2008 01:41:52 pm    Post subject:

To solve that issue the makers of tilp made GFM, the Group File Manager, you should be able find it on ticalc, but that is what you'll have to use if I remember correct, I rarely use group files so I don't remember the details but that should give you a start. lpg.ticalc.org should have more info since it is tilp's home page.
Galandros

Posted: 15 Nov 2008 02:22:06 pm    Post subject:

TheStorm wrote:
To solve that issue the makers of tilp made GFM, the Group File Manager, you should be able find it on ticalc, but that is what you'll have to use if I remember correct, I rarely use group files so I don't remember the details but that should give you a start. lpg.ticalc.org should have more info since it is tilp's home page.
[post="128818"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I installed also GFM. Site was searched. I had a second glance at the readme and says:
"Note: the TI83+ is the only calc to have a GROUP variable. TiLP supports it in
a specific way: this kind of var is saved as a single file as any other
variable. Thus, if you send it, it will stay grouped on calc.
The TI's software has a different way: it explodes the GROUP variable
into a .8Xg group file and you lose the grouping on calculator."
But I think they switched TI's software with Tilp or am I reading this totally wrong?

Last edited by Guest on 15 Nov 2008 02:24:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 15 Nov 2008 03:05:22 pm    Post subject:

What it is saying is that each linking program handles them differently, ti-connect saves the on the computer similarly to a compressed folder or .zip file. Tilp on the other hand treats them like a single file just like any other variable and stored as a single file.
Galandros

Posted: 16 Nov 2008 02:33:57 pm    Post subject:

TheStorm wrote:
What it is saying is that each linking program handles them differently, ti-connect saves the on the computer similarly to a compressed folder or .zip file. Tilp on the other hand treats them like a single file just like any other variable and stored as a single file.
[post="128829"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Now, I got. I thought they referred as the group stayed oncalc that is what matters.

Well maybe I will use TI-Connect time to time if I don't get another solution...

As side note I have to express Tilp is faster than TI-Connect. I only miss the icons of TI-Connect and regret the groups sending.

Last edited by Guest on 16 Nov 2008 02:34:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Galandros

Posted: 16 Nov 2008 05:53:51 pm    Post subject:

More I can't send AppsVars. Shock
To another Tilp users: Can you send these variables? (Groups and appsvars)
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 16 Nov 2008 05:54:33 pm    Post subject:

Yeah I have no issues with either of them, are you sure your doing it right?
Bronco

Posted: 16 Nov 2008 06:00:17 pm    Post subject:

I could yeah. Although when I sent the groups to my calc all of the group contents showed up as individual programs, but there was no group. It was as though it unpacked the group, sent the contents, then deleted the package.

EDIT:
I just tried to restore backup groups to my calc, and it didn't work.

Last edited by Guest on 16 Nov 2008 06:01:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Galandros

Posted: 19 Nov 2008 10:04:41 am    Post subject:

TheStorm wrote:
Yeah I have no issues with either of them, are you sure your doing it right?
[post="128964"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Strange. I can receive everything all right. Send programs with no issues.
I configured in Tilp as cable DirectLink (which was what auto-detect suggested me) and it has the correct driver installed (if it hadn't, it would not work at all). I use a normal USB cable gave in the package of my calculator.

Quote:
I just tried to restore backup groups to my calc, and it didn't work.
It went wrong like I described in the first post?

Still why I can't send this variables or how do I resolve this? Neutral Neutral Neutral

Last edited by Guest on 19 Nov 2008 10:05:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Bronco

Posted: 19 Nov 2008 04:03:38 pm    Post subject:

Yes, I encountered the same problems as in your first post.
Galandros

Posted: 26 Nov 2008 12:05:31 pm    Post subject:

Also Tilp doesn't recognize pictures correctly. I am going to report this to Tilp programmers once I find will to do it.
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 04 Sep 2009 07:38:13 pm    Post subject:

I think I've figured out why TiLP groups don't transfer with TI-Connect and vice-versa, and a way to fix it.

Using both TiLP and TI-Connect to transfer the same group to my computer, I got a .8Xgrp (TiLP) and .8xg (TI-Connect) file. I also created a .8xg file with the .8x*-creator I'm working on (the group worked fine on Tilem and TI-Connect). I opened all three up in a hex editor and used this and this (as well as some guesswork involving how groups are stored on-calc) to dissect their formats and compared their differences. I've attached a file with the results.

The only differences between the three were (everything else was identical, including file size):
- Comment field, which doesn't (or at least shouldn't) affect transferring. (0x0B-0x34)
- Flag and Version (Flag == $80 for archived, $00 otherwise) (0x44-0x45)
- The DAH/DAL in VAT entries, which doesn't even matter for groups on-calc. (0x4D-0x4E, 0x63-0x64)
- Checksum, which is obviously different because of the above. (0x76-0x77)
This means that the problems with compatibility lie in the Flag/Version bytes (0x44-0x45).

In the TiLP version 0x44 holds $80. This indicates that 0x44 is the archive flag ($80 for archived, $00 else), and so 0x45 (which is $00) is the version byte (groups are always archived, so the byte with $80 must be the archive flag).
In the TI-Connect version (as well as mine) 0x45 holds $80. This indicates that 0x45 is the archive flag and 0x44 is the version byte.

I confirmed this by exchanging 0x44 and 0x45 in a .8Xgrp file (and renamed it to .8xg) and sent it to my calculator via TI-Connect, which successfully transferred the group (I tried 3 different groups with varying variable types and quantities of files). I also exchanged bytes 0x44 and 0x45 in a .8xg file (and renamed it to .8Xgrp) and successfully transferred the groups via TiLP.

As for calculators receiving the individual files instead of a single group variables, I don't see how the .8Xgrp format is any different from .8xg. With both TiLP and TI-Connect, as well as testing in Tilem, the groups transferred as group variables and didn't unpack.

Now, I also want to address the fact that TiLP has trouble with picture variables. First, by comparing picture variables from TI-Connect and TiLP in a hex view I can confirm that there is no difference between the two, ruling out something akin to the group problems. For me, TiLP also throws complaints about invalid picture names, but I've found a workaround (which at least works for me):
1) Send it like normal. Hit "Close" on the box that shows up informing you of the error. When it then prompts for retry/skip/cancel, hit "skip".
2) Send it again. This time it should say the name is already in use, and it will ask if you want to rename or overwrite. Hit "rename". In the box that prompts for the new name, you should see that the old name has the number as a subscript. Change it to a normal number and the pic should transfer fine.

[attachment=2785:groups.txt]
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Sep 2009 12:45:23 am    Post subject:

whoa necropost
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Sep 2009 06:19:10 am    Post subject:

Necropost with useful info is not considered offensive by me.
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 05 Sep 2009 08:52:59 am    Post subject:

metagross111 wrote:
whoa necropost

I was planning on creating a new topic but my post perfectly fits in with this thread. There was a choice between adding something constructive to this old topic, and creating a second topic on the issue while leaving this question unanswered.

Also, if anyone's interested, here's a short Python program that will convert between .8Xgrp and .8xg:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/python
#usage (from command line):  %this_program%  source_file  destination_file
import sys
s = open(sys.argv[1], 'r')
d = open(sys.argv[2], 'w')
d.write(s.read(0x44) + s.read(2)[::-1] + s.read())
s.close()
d.close()
Lionel Debroux

Posted: 07 Oct 2009 01:48:11 am    Post subject:

This is just a note that the TILP maintainers are now aware of this topic Smile
jsj795

Posted: 07 Oct 2009 10:29:01 pm    Post subject:

I had the exact same problem with TiLP... So I switched to TI-Connect.
I have no idea why that happened. First of all, I installed TiLP first, so I had nothing to worry about uninstalling TI-Connect properly. And it worked, except sending groups, pic files, AppVars, and receiving backups. I used the DirectCable, and was so frustrated that I couldn't receive FFTOM2 Tale of Magic that I switched to TI-Connect and is currently happy.

btw, i had the 84+SE with all the updates and stuff.
Lionel Debroux

Posted: 08 Oct 2009 04:52:50 am    Post subject:

We libti*/TILP/TIEmu/TILem maintainers are volunteers working on our free time, and we depend on user input to get bugs reported, bugfixes tested and feature requests posted: none of the has all link cables and all calculator models ever produced by TI Wink
None of us attends all community boards and IRC chans, because there are just too many of them Very Happy
Therefore, if users don't help us a bit, by e.g. contacting the project through the best means of doing so, i.e. mailing lists or bug trackers (see https://sourceforge.net/projects/tilp/support , https://sourceforge.net/projects/gtktiemu/support and https://sourceforge.net/projects/tilem/support ) that enable centralized, long-term handling of bug reports and feature requests, it's hard for us to improve the software Wink
(oh, and we're always looking for more contributors and maintainers, BTW)

This topic mentions problems with sending groups, pic files, AppVars or backups to TI-Z80 calculators. snjwffl mentioned a while ago a problem with sending or receiving more than 32 files (on Z80 calculators only, I guess, because receiving more than 32 files works for my TI-89 and TI-89T calculators). [EDIT: and DJ_Omnimaga has mentioned that he remembered some TILP version forcing the creation of group files on the computer even when transferring a single file from calc to computer.]
Let's try to fix these problems, one at a time Very Happy
A few posts above, snjwffl has made a good analysis of the problem with group files, so I suggest starting with this one.

1) In the creation of group files when receiving from the calculator: in function ti8x_file_write_regular() in src/files8x.c from libtifiles, around line 647 (this is the number for libtifiles SVN), I can see

Code:
   else
      if(fwrite_n_chars(f, 8, varname) < 0) goto tfwr;
   if (is_ti83p(content->model))
     if(fwrite_word(f, (uint16_t)((entry->attr == ATTRB_ARCHIVED) ? 0x80 : 0x00)) < 0) goto tfwr;
   if(fwrite_word(f, (uint16_t)entry->size) < 0) goto tfwr;
   if(fwrite(entry->data, 1, entry->size, f) < 0) goto tfwr;

Given the analysis of the problem, I think that replacing 0x80 by 0x8000 should fix the problem of incorrect group files received from the calculator by TILP, and make it possible to send with TI-Connect group files received with bugfixed TILP.

2) In the reading of group files when sending to the calculator: trying to transparently handle broken files created in the past by TILP can probably be done by modifying ti8x_file_read_regular, a few hundred lines above ti8x_file_write_regular:

Code:
   if (ti83p_flag)
   {
     entry->attr = (fgetc(f) == 0x80 ? ATTRB_ARCHIVED : ATTRB_NONE);
     if(fgetc(f) == EOF) goto tfrr;
   }
   if(fread_word(f, NULL) < 0) goto tfrr;

Merely reversing the two lines within { } should make it possible to send, with modified TILP, correct files created by TI-Connect. But in order to transparently handle broken files created by buggy TILP versions, I think the code should be turned to something along the lines of:

Code:
   if (ti83p_flag)
   {
   uint16_t attribute;
   if(fread_word(f, &attribute) < 0) goto tfrr;
     entry->attr = (attribute == 0x8000 ? ATTRB_ARCHIVED : (attribute = 0x80 ? ATTRB_ARCHIVED : ATTRB_NONE));
   }
   if(fread_word(f, NULL) < 0) goto tfrr;

Could someone please test those changes, one at a time, for me (I don't have a TI-Z80 calculator myself) ? Thanks in advance Wink
To help people with that task, I've created some *nix scripts that fetch libti*+TILP and libti*+TIEmu from SVN, compile and install it. I haven't announced them yet on the TILP and TIEmu sites.
http://lpg.ticalc.org/prj_tilp/download/install_tilp.sh
http://lpg.ticalc.org/prj_tiemu/downloads/install_tiemu.sh
Be sure to look at what's in those scripts, as they contain contain information on the prerequisites (development packages, mostly) for successfully compiling libti*, GFM, TILP and TIEmu, and several tweaks that can be made to the configuration (e.g. enabling or disabling KDE native dialogs, enabling or disabling GDB in TIEmu).

Last edited by Guest on 08 Oct 2009 01:26:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 Oct 2009 08:00:04 pm    Post subject:

If you change that to

Code:
entry->attr = (attribute == 0x8000 ? ATTRB_ARCHIVED : (attribute == 0x80 ? ATTRB_ARCHIVED : ATTRB_NONE));

I think it ought to work.

I can't test it at the moment (and I don't have access to TI-Connect anyway) but it does agree with the packet format (as implemented by libticalcs) so it's probably correct.

Incidentally, the other byte there is the "version" byte, which is supposed to tell the calculator what OS versions the variable is compatible with (since newer OSes include more tokens.) Version "0" files are supposed to be compatible with the TI-83 as well. (Obviously, a lot of files, and not just those created by TiLP, are incorrectly marked as version 0.) It might be nice to add this to the ticalcs/tifiles libraries as well, though it's not really a critical issue.

Last edited by Guest on 08 Oct 2009 08:04:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lionel Debroux

Posted: 09 Oct 2009 02:09:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
If you change that to [...] I think it ought to work.

Oops, yeah. That's what happens when modifying the code in the browser, not in the sources :D

ACK for the todo list item represented by a non-zero "version" byte.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement