This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic Brain Teasers => TI-BASIC
Baruch

Posted: 26 Dec 2008 06:21:51 am    Post subject:

Thank you ! The prog has 52 bytes on my TI, with one letter for the name, how can it comes in at 55 bytes ? If I use an user-defined list, how can I have the N-th number of the list ?
By the way, whay can't I see the codes in quotes ?

Sorry for my english, I'm french.
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 26 Dec 2008 11:10:22 am    Post subject:

Baruch wrote:
If I use an user-defined list, how can I have the N-th number of the list ?
[post="130682"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If your user-defined list is named, say, ∟A, the N-th element of that list is ∟A(N).

Baruch wrote:

To see them, just press the keys 'Ctrl' and 'A' simultaneously. Alternatively, right click inside the quote box and click "Select All". :D

thornahawk
Baruch

Posted: 26 Dec 2008 11:30:22 am    Post subject:

Thank you, I see that someone did the same code (well, better than me ^^).
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 26 Dec 2008 01:21:32 pm    Post subject:

Baruch wrote:

As Thornahawk said, use ctrl-A (or just highlight it). The reason we use quotes is to hide the answer so you don't have to see the answer unless you want to.

Welcome to UTI Baruch!
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Dec 2008 09:35:33 pm    Post subject:

Baruch wrote:
Thank you ! The prog has 52 bytes on my TI, with one letter for the name, how can it comes in at 55 bytes ?
Oh... I was looking at the wrong program name in my list! You're right, it's 51 bytes.
bfr

Posted: 27 Dec 2008 11:36:23 am    Post subject:

Welcome, Baruch :biggrin:

Here's another solution that's 42 bytes but only works with positive real numbers (so 0 doesn't work either):

Quote:

Ans->A
{max(Ans
While min(Ans-min(LA
augment(Ans,{max((LA<min(Ans))LA
End

And here's an interesting method that I think might be the smallest if the list is inputted and outputted in LA (works only with positive real numbers again, and takes up 41 bytes):

Quote:

SortD(LA
LAaugment({1},not(not(ΔList(LA->A
SortD(LA
sum(Ans≠0->dim(LA

EDIT: and thanks to Weregoose for the tip that using custom lists like LA is often better than using built-in lists likeL1 because the L doesn't need to be included when storing to custom lists, which helped to make both of these routines a bit smaller

Last edited by Guest on 27 Dec 2008 11:53:06 am; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Dec 2008 05:12:14 pm    Post subject:

Your second method can be modified to work with all real lists:
Quote:
SortA(LA
augment({0},not(ΔList(LA→B
SortA(LB,LA
sum(not(LB→dim(LA
It is, I think, larger than previously posted methods when you add in the code that puts input and output in Ans instead of LA.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Dec 2008 05:13:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement