This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
youssarian

Posted: 09 Oct 2008 03:27:22 pm    Post subject:

Alright, I'm trying to set up my homepage (for reference, [url="http://www.freewebs.com/shawnc1991)"]http://www.freewebs.com/shawnc1991)[/url] so that when a person clicks on a link in the frame at the left, the desired page will load in the frame to the right. However, what seems to happen is that it will open a new window or load in the same window, but remove the frame.

What I'd like to do is have the left frame as a "directory", wherein it doesn't disappear so long as a person is viewing one of my sites. When one does click on the link, I'd like for that link to open in the frame on the right.

I'm pretty sure there's an attribute for the a href tag that'll do that, maybe some javascript, but I don't know what it is.
SonicBoom95

Posted: 09 Oct 2008 03:46:31 pm    Post subject:

youssarian wrote:
Alright, I'm trying to set up my homepage (for reference, [url="http://www.freewebs.com/shawnc1991)"]http://www.freewebs.com/shawnc1991)[/url] so that when a person clicks on a link in the frame at the left, the desired page will load in the frame to the right. However, what seems to happen is that it will open a new window or load in the same window, but remove the frame.

What I'd like to do is have the left frame as a "directory", wherein it doesn't disappear so long as a person is viewing one of my sites. When one does click on the link, I'd like for that link to open in the frame on the right.

I'm pretty sure there's an attribute for the a href tag that'll do that, maybe some javascript, but I don't know what it is.
[post="127736"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

<a href="whatever.htm" target="right_frame">

Replace whatever.htm with your file and right_frame with the name of your target frame. You're welcome.
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 09 Oct 2008 03:48:52 pm    Post subject:

All you need to do is give the right frame a name attribute, and in the a tag, set the target attribute to the name of the right frame.
SonicBoom95

Posted: 09 Oct 2008 03:50:37 pm    Post subject:

Redundancy redundancy redundancy.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Oct 2008 04:09:57 pm    Post subject:

Make note of the times: Your post likely wasn't finished when he saw the topic and began working on his reply.

It's fortunate that there are multiple willing volunteers who like to offer assistance; it's entirely a positive thing.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Oct 2008 04:17:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
SonicBoom95

Posted: 10 Oct 2008 07:30:15 am    Post subject:

I just get worse and worse at this "interwebs" thing.

This working all right for you, Youssarian? Any problems?
youssarian

Posted: 10 Oct 2008 03:22:55 pm    Post subject:

It works now. Many thanks to the many of you that helped.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 11 Oct 2008 10:13:17 pm    Post subject:

I feel I need to mention that if you plan on using frames for all of your sites navigation I would advise against it as search engines like google can often send people to the frame rather than the whole page causing much confusion and can make you site harder to navigate. Also when you have questions about html or css two of the best sites I have found are http://w3schools.org and css Zen Garden. css Zen Garden has many great examples that will show you how to get you site to look nicer with out needing complicated html.
SonicBoom95

Posted: 11 Oct 2008 11:38:16 pm    Post subject:

If you must use frames, add a "Break Out Of Frames" link to all of your frames, that opens a new window with the main page in it.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement