This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 06 Oct 2008 08:11:46 pm    Post subject:

Okay, I would like to rename an app. I already have a basic idea of how the flash works (can't write a 1 to a zero etc), but I want to see if I could, in theory, rename it.
So, here is my approach.
1. Name the app something like $FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF (if it's possible)
2. Find it with _FindSym and see what page it's on.
3. Start writing at $4012 with the new data

Would it work?
asdf

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 07 Oct 2008 01:40:40 am    Post subject:

What do you mean "in theory"? You'd have to unlock the flash first for anything at all to be written, otherwise you are just using up clock cycles which aren't doing anything other than possibly changing the flags...
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Oct 2008 06:11:24 am    Post subject:

You can't name an application that, and _FindSym doesn't find applications. _FindApp won't find it either.

And you can't assume it's at 4012h. App headers don't work this way. They're designed to be flexible...there's a pattern to an app header, if you've ever noticed. You can arrange the fields in almost any order and it won't affect anything. The code doesn't even have to start at 4080h...many of TI's applications start at an earlier address than this. You need to look up the location of the name field with _FindAppHeaderSubField.

The only way to rename an application is to copy the Flash sector somewhere else (like the swap sector, which is what it's for), erase the sector, and copy it back with the name change. This can be done of course, but it's a waste of a sector erase (three erases, actually, since you have to erase the swap sector twice).

EDIT: It's also horribly slow.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Oct 2008 01:41:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 Oct 2008 12:34:59 pm    Post subject:

If you want to rename an app, just change the name on your PC, sign the modified version, and send it back to the calculator. Writing apps into Flash by hand is not for the faint of heart.
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 09 Oct 2008 09:15:00 pm    Post subject:

So, why can't I just use WriteFlash to overwrite a name with extra padding (w/ characters that have lot's of ones) to the one that I want?
Taricorp

Posted: 09 Oct 2008 10:08:56 pm    Post subject:

There are a number of problems with it: primarily, you can easily screw something over, and the app's signature will no longer be valid (no sending it anywhere else after you change it).

If you want to try it, go ahead, but be prepared to deal with epic problems.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Oct 2008 12:03:52 am    Post subject:

Taricorp wrote:
There are a number of problems with it: primarily, you can easily screw something over, and the app's signature will no longer be valid (no sending it anywhere else after you change it).

If you want to try it, go ahead, but be prepared to deal with epic problems.
[post="127759"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, it won't validate anymore, but oddly enough, you can place anything you want at the end of an app page (meaning after the size in the 800Fh field at the beginning of the app) and that'll get sent to another calculator, and it'll still validate. Just a little food for thought...you could use it as scratch space, or something.

Anyway, you aren't going to be able to find characters with enough 1s that the OS will accept and that do what you want. By all means try it, but I really don't believe it's going to work. You need to be able to write 1s, at which point what I said before still stands.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Oct 2008 12:30:01 am    Post subject:

Is it possible to name an app using only the $7F character (or $5F if you're not going to be using lowercase letters)?
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Oct 2008 07:33:06 am    Post subject:

I'm very doubtful, but write a small application (or find one you can assemble), change the name to that, assemble it, sign it, and send it.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement