This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 20 Sep 2008 07:46:44 pm    Post subject:

I've read a lot about silent linking, but I'm not exactly sure what it is or how to do it. Can someone clear this up?
Spencer

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 20 Sep 2008 09:40:51 pm    Post subject:

It's a way to send vars to a calc over the link port without having to configure the receiving calc. Most emulators (including wabbit) send files to the virtual calculator this way. If I recall, of the z80 calcs only the TI-82 does not support this.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 20 Sep 2008 09:43:06 pm    Post subject:

The 82 and 85 do not support it but as far as I know all others do, though not all of them support all of the same features of it. I would check the TI-link routine documentation on ticalc.
luby

Calc Guru

Posted: 20 Sep 2008 10:05:09 pm    Post subject:

Okay, Now, How do I do it? Are there any B_Calls that will do this?
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 20 Sep 2008 11:20:06 pm    Post subject:

Spencer wrote:
It's a way to send vars to a calc over the link port without having to configure the receiving calc.  Most emulators (including wabbit) send files to the virtual calculator this way.  If I recall, of the z80 calcs only the TI-82 does not support this.
[post="127116"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

configure in what way?
asdf

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 21 Sep 2008 06:26:53 am    Post subject:

Setting the other calculator up to receive the data you are sending.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Sep 2008 03:15:48 pm    Post subject:

luby wrote:
Okay, Now, How do I do it?  Are there any B_Calls that will do this?
[post="127119"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

There are many BCALLs that do this: http://wikiti.denglend.net/index.php?title...Ls:By_Name:Link

Silent linking works just like regular linking works...when you call SendAByte (which all of those BCALLs eventually use), the receiving calculator will detect it and the silent link handler (which is BCALL keyscnlnk) takes over and begins receiving the rest of the data you're trying to send it.

The silent link handler is called by GetKey, which is what's active when you're sitting there on the homescreen.

For more details on the silent link protocol, check the link protocol guide on ticalc.org.

I also have miscellaneous notes at: http://brandonw.net/calcstuff/keyscnlnk.txt

keyscnlnk is a good resource for knowing exactly what the other calculator will accept (because that's the core of the silent link code).

The link hooks are called when another calculator attempts to talk to you, so they can be a good way to override the default silent link behavior. BCALL ContinueGetByte is important for this, because that's what you use to finish receiving the byte that is being sent to you. From there, you can call _RecAByteIO or any of the other routines on that WikiTI page and do whatever you want. The downside, of course, is that it will only accept what you implement, so if you want to override just one command, you have to implement all the others as well. The linking BCALLs make this easier, but it's still ugly.

LinkMan (http://brandonw.net/calcstuff/linkman.zip I think) works this way, so if I included the source with it (can't remember), it's a good thing to look at, too.

Last edited by Guest on 21 Sep 2008 03:55:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
luby

Calc Guru

Posted: 21 Sep 2008 05:11:34 pm    Post subject:

What would be a good way to play with the linking things. Wabbitemu doesn't support linking (yet), but does PTI?
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Sep 2008 09:21:53 pm    Post subject:

luby wrote:
What would be a good way to play with the linking things.  Wabbitemu doesn't support linking (yet), but does PTI?
[post="127168"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I prefer the flash debugger from the 83+ SDK.

If you want to play with direct USB linking (which has an entirely different silent link protocol, also documented on the 84+/SE USB page on WikiTI), that's a little more involved and I test that with real calculators and/or a PC.

I think I wrote (it's been a while) a program that uses direct USB and silent linking to send/receive remote control requests, at http://brandonw.net/calcstuff/remote8x.zip That source could be good to learn from (that's why I wrote it, actually).
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement