This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
ExtendeD

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 04 Oct 2009 03:26:05 pm    Post subject:

Most probably an ARM926EJ-S ( http://hackspire.unsads.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware#CPU )

Congratulation Goplat. How did you manage to find out the algorithm, which is far from being obvious?

Last edited by Guest on 04 Oct 2009 03:27:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Oct 2009 12:13:26 am    Post subject:

<suggestion>

We have a raw binary of the OS now, right?

Well, hackspire states that the NSpire OS crashes occasionally when trying to read a "bad document". Couldn't there be a buffer overflow exploit somewhere? (which we can now find using our new binary, assuming it's correct)

</suggestion>

Just wanted to share my thoughts...
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 05 Oct 2009 12:27:35 am    Post subject:

We can't disassemble the binary until it's encryption is bypassed.
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Oct 2009 11:11:58 am    Post subject:

Sorry, overlooked something... I thought Goplat managed to get a raw binary.
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 05 Oct 2009 01:37:37 pm    Post subject:

Mapar007 wrote:
No worries Smile And perhaps he did - I'm not too clear on the Nspire stuff myself. The problem is, I think the binary is actually mostly encoded, and when you turn on the Nspire for the first time after using the 84+ keypad, it decrypts itself into RAM. At least, that's what I've gathered from reading about developments online, but I could be wrong, so someone correct me if I am! Very Happy
xcomenforcer231

Posted: 05 Oct 2009 06:06:56 pm    Post subject:

Would it be possible to capture the OS as it is decrypted?

ie. Capture it as it is loading (after removing or switching a keypad)

By doing this, we might be able to also input our own commands in the same manner.

*and to add to the list of not-working TI-84 ASM, many graphics-happy programs crash. Doom83 does not work on the nspire.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Oct 2009 06:36:12 pm    Post subject:

Going back to this initialize/decrypt function at 1326E4-1335C3...what else might it decrypt other than the OS?
xcomenforcer231

Posted: 06 Oct 2009 09:05:15 am    Post subject:

Would the OS signing keys for the other calculators help us, or would we be able to hack the signing key for the nSpire the same way?
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Oct 2009 10:33:58 am    Post subject:

As there are ways to read EEPROM chips with special readers/circuits, wouldn't there be a way to read the contents of the memory chip directly?
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Oct 2009 03:40:21 pm    Post subject:

Mapar007 wrote:
As there are ways to read EEPROM chips with special readers/circuits, wouldn't there be a way to read the contents of the memory chip directly?

thats is! get yourself an nsprire and place that ROM in tour ti-84+ :biggrin:

seriously, you might be able to hack the rom onto an old usb-stick
Vadko

Posted: 07 Oct 2009 04:03:12 pm    Post subject:

look @ http://www.datamath.org/Graphing/NSpire_CAS.htm
DrDnar

Posted: 07 Oct 2009 06:29:02 pm    Post subject:

As I recall, the main data storage flash chip (the larger one) is not randomly byte-accessible. You have to read blocks of 512 bytes or so. The TI-84+ memory bus simply couldn't work with that kind of chip.

And if even if you could do it, the TI-84 would only be able to read the first 2MB of the chip.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Oct 2009 06:30:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vadko

Posted: 07 Oct 2009 06:44:37 pm    Post subject:

This thread is interesting, altough I dont believe that anyone here as the skills to put the nspire cas os on a regular nspire. Its just too much work.
The only way to do this in the next years will be switch the grey case by the blue case Smile
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 07 Oct 2009 06:51:41 pm    Post subject:

Vadko wrote:
This thread is interesting, altough I dont believe that anyone here as the skills to put the nspire cas os on a regular nspire. Its just too much work.
The only way to do this in the next years will be switch the grey case by the blue case Smile

That's not the goal here. The goal is to execute unsigned assembly code on either Nspire's ARM processor. Porting one OS to the other's hardware, whether it's possible or not, really isn't a major goal (what would be the point? saving money? getting more purposeless software onto one device? Razz)
d235j

Posted: 07 Oct 2009 07:26:11 pm    Post subject:

[quote name='Dr. D'nar' post='137245' date='Oct 7 2009, 11:29 PM']As I recall, the main data storage flash chip (the larger one) is not randomly byte-accessible. You have to read blocks of 512 bytes or so. The TI-84+ memory bus simply couldn't work with that kind of chip.

And if even if you could do it, the TI-84 would only be able to read the first 2MB of the chip.[/quote]

There are plenty of ways to read NAND flash though. (NAND flash is the type that must be read in blocks) If I didn't forget, to read the Wii's NAND chip for the first time, a memory card reader (or was it a flash drive) that used a similar chip was found and the chip was transplanted into that device. Today it's a lot easier, but nevertheless there are ways to physically dump the NAND.

However, the NOR flash probably has the encryption code, and should be dumped too.

From what I've seen about the CPU (the link to the datasheet is broken so I'm not entirely certain), the CPU isn't a SoC (system on a chip). If it were, then TI could have put keys directly *on* the CPU.

Of course, attempting to dump the contents of these chips would require destroying an Nspire unit, and good soldering skills.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Oct 2009 08:25:19 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, and unfortunately the test clips to read the ICs Datamath identified cost more than the calculator itself. If someone can follow the traces though, there wouldn't be much stopping them from soldering directly to the buses and grabbing codes the CPU decides to access. Sounds like pulling teeth though.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Oct 2009 08:26:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Goplat

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 07 Oct 2009 11:54:13 pm    Post subject:

ExtendeD wrote:
Congratulation Goplat. How did you manage to find out the algorithm, which is far from being obvious?
First I did some frequency analysis: I found the most common 4-byte sequences. I found that many of them matched each other when bit-shifted: for example, the common sequences F8 17 86 D0 and 81 78 6D 09 match with an offset of 4 bits (if we say that the most significant bit comes first). This suggested to me that it's a kind of (big-endian) bit coding. So I dumped some data in binary and, by hand, tried to line things up. It took a while but eventually I found that the data could be nicely split up into 17-bit "1xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" and 7-bit "0xxxxxx" codes.

I guessed that the long codes were just literal halfwords, and a quick inspection of the resulting decompression proved this right (there was readable ASCII text). The short codes could only represent halfwords that were never compressed as literals - and hey, there's a table of those right near the start of the compressed file.

Mapar007 wrote:
I got a binary of the stage 2 boot loader, not the OS. The OS is most likely encrypted.
Lionel Debroux

Posted: 08 Oct 2009 12:54:56 pm    Post subject:

Well, congratulations for your patience and your discovery Wink
squalyl

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 12 Oct 2009 03:04:44 am    Post subject:

Awesome work. Congratulations Smile
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Oct 2009 10:15:56 am    Post subject:

This may be a stupid question, but where exactly does the 8070 field start, or how is it identified? (I have extracted the boot2.img from the tno file, AMS upgrade 1.7)
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 11 of 46 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement