This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Oct 2008 04:34:31 pm    Post subject:

All indications are that it's the same aside from the ability to disconnect the keypad.
JoostinOnline

Posted: 04 Oct 2008 10:06:12 am    Post subject:

FloppusMaximus wrote:
That's an interesting point.  Is the hardware actually the same in all other respects (that we know of)?  If so, I guess that could partly explain TI's anti-programming attitude.
[post="127533"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't know if this helps:
http://www.datamath.org/Graphing/NSpire_CAS.htm
http://www.datamath.org/Graphing/NSpire.htm
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Oct 2008 05:54:20 pm    Post subject:

I'm not suggesting it's as simple as sending the TNO file to the Nspire, but not outside the realm of possibility to one day get the CAS working on it.
TylerMcL

Posted: 04 Oct 2008 10:18:05 pm    Post subject:

I just thought of this though...

If teachers/administratives found out that we had the ability to install a CAS (one day?) onto a regular nSpire and hack it, they may not let us use this beast on tests and standardized test, such as the ACT.

When this thing is finally hacked, I'm gonna make a program that made it look like you were in "testing mode" (which doesn't let you access any of your programs or documents), but you're really not Razz

...Although I think they call this cheating Sad
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 05 Oct 2008 12:42:10 am    Post subject:

Remember, the distinction that makes a calculator illegal to use on a test is not its capabilities, but whether its keys are arranged alphabetically. Razz
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Oct 2008 07:27:58 pm    Post subject:

TylerMcL wrote:
I just thought of this though...

If teachers/administratives found out that we had the ability to install a CAS (one day?) onto a regular nSpire and hack it, they may not let us use this beast on tests and standardized test, such as the ACT.

When this thing is finally hacked, I'm gonna make a program that made it look like you were in "testing mode" (which doesn't let you access any of your programs or documents), but you're really not Razz

...Although I think they call this cheating Sad
[post="127567"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You can do this now if you have a spare 84+/SE beside you. You can write an 84+/SE direct USB program to fake a PC transfer, so the Nspire will unlock itself.

When you use Press-to-Test on the 84+SE keypad, you won't be able to snap in the Nspire keypad, you'll get a "Wrong keypad" message. We can get around this even now.
TylerMcL

Posted: 05 Oct 2008 08:25:42 pm    Post subject:

you've got an excellent point there! I never thought of that. A keep forgetting that a calculator can be made into any program possible, really Razz lol

Oh, and I was reading about people who've bought an TI-89 and put it into a TI-84+ case. Not to get off topic really, but how hard is it to do this? I wonder how hard it would be just to put a nSpire CAS into a Non-CAS. I can't imagine the keypad switch being too big of an issue Razz
nitacku

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Oct 2008 09:16:17 pm    Post subject:

Putting an 89 titanium into an 84 case is very easy. The only difficult part is trying to remove those tiny torx screws. Most of the buttons line up correctly, there are a few that you have to wiggle around a little bit until it makes a connection.
FocusedWolf

Posted: 10 Oct 2008 01:29:40 pm    Post subject:

Seriously let's just get ti voyagers... i mean more memory... runs ti89 programs... what more could we want... their's probably even a way to overclock it lol

Now as far as the ti-nspire cas goes... i for one would love to donate free cpu time towards cracking the drm and i'm sure so would EVERYONE!!! that visits ticalc.org and other calc sights.

It'd also be a real symbol of the community that TI wants to shit on. For example: if we crack their drm then they will require OS updates down the road to fight it... but at the same time any software built for the older os will fail (so eventually one day when theirs official asm programs being sold by TI, what are they gonna do.. .force a new version of all of them for every ti-nspire os... ya right... so it looks like it'll work.

I say we do it with brute force... we attack at dawn!!
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Oct 2008 03:32:03 pm    Post subject:

I agree!!! Everyone, pick your favorite algorithm and start trying random keys! Hurry up, or we won't finish before the heat-death of the universe. Or before Jesus gets back, whichever.
TylerMcL

Posted: 10 Oct 2008 11:29:38 pm    Post subject:

LOL. Or we could just use a program that has already been made for something like this? I've got to believe that someone has made a developing algorithm program that would try almost every algorithm possible. If not, we humans really are doomed Razz

But yeah, I just say we use brute force to get the job done. There's really not any honor in doing so, but I think TI broke the rules already by making the nSpire non-asm compatible.

TI needs to go down on this creation. We really need to teach them a lesson. You'd think that they would figure out that we're gonna hack everything they create, sooner or later Very Happy
JoostinOnline

Posted: 11 Oct 2008 10:12:59 am    Post subject:

TylerMcL wrote:
But yeah, I just say we use brute force to get the job done.[post="127795"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

YEAH!!! (Joostin grabs hammer and smashes TI-Nspire)

It didn't work... Sad
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Oct 2008 10:22:10 am    Post subject:

maybe, if we can find out the chip thats used in the nspire, we can find out the hex codes for instructions

and then hack it by seaching to repeating codes (e.g, multipling by 8, bit shifting, JR/JP/call command)
TylerMcL

Posted: 11 Oct 2008 01:39:05 pm    Post subject:

We already know that it's a ARM926EJ-S processor with ARM5 instruction set. Tests indicate that it runs at 90 MHZ.

The processor is the same for both the CAS and non-CAS. What I'm working on right now, is obtaining a copy of the instruction set... I'll try to post a link if/when I find it.

Like posted before, our best bet is to get this and use the commands to find a sequence, or familiar use of hex codes. The complications come in when the text may be encrypted using a different algorithm than the instructions. I can't say anything for certain, due to the fact that I know close to nothing about hackin, in itself. Sad
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Oct 2008 01:56:53 pm    Post subject:

is it even possible to upload progs to the calc??
c_plus_plus
My Face Hertz

Posted: 11 Oct 2008 05:28:18 pm    Post subject:

Don't shoot me if this is a stupid idea, but is there a way to put a logic tester of sorts on the processor, and determine what instructions it is running?

Second, has anyone attempted to dump the flash ROM chip yet?
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Oct 2008 06:32:30 pm    Post subject:

Have any of you read this thread? I've already stated there is a developing community working on this, and yes, there are efforts to dump both memory chips as well as many exploits through linking and corrupted document files.

As I also said in this thread, a lot of the latest efforts remain private because I guarantee you that TI IS watching this, and this forum is the last place for serious discussions on it.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Oct 2008 06:32:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
TylerMcL

Posted: 11 Oct 2008 10:07:07 pm    Post subject:

LOL, yes, I've been reading Razz (I'm the one who started the thread Razz)

But yeah, for real people! Razz Just take the extra minute and a half Razz lol

And yeah, I guarantee that TI has people hired specifically to monitor these sites and to report any discoveries by us, to them Razz It could even be one of us... Surprised !!! Who's the latest member on this form?? Surprised Darkstone Knight might be him!! lol Smile just kidding... or am I?

But yeah, if anyone has any serious questions on the progress of hacking it: just email me, and I'll see what I can find, or talk to :P

So should we just stop talking about hacking the TI Nspire for now? At least a hack is found??
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Oct 2008 08:40:14 am    Post subject:

uhm, an Texas instrumentas dude would be the last one to reach 1k postcount on dutch TI forums

:D
Galandros

Posted: 12 Oct 2008 09:24:27 am    Post subject:

TylerMcL wrote:
LOL, yes, I've been reading Razz (I'm the one who started the thread Razz)

But yeah, for real people! Razz Just take the extra minute and a half Razz lol

And yeah, I guarantee that TI has people hired specifically to monitor these sites and to report any discoveries by us, to them Razz It could even be one of us... Surprised !!! Who's the latest member on this form?? Surprised Darkstone Knight might be him!! lol Smile just kidding... or am I?

But yeah, if anyone has any serious questions on the progress of hacking it: just email me, and I'll see what I can find, or talk to :P

So should we just stop talking about hacking the TI Nspire for now? At least a hack is found??
[post="127815"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

So much talk and maybe TI guy is you. You made the post... :biggrin:

Calm down. Let the team work and make their discoveries dark and unknown and strike TI when it is not expecting it! It's better that way. (and imagine the look of TI staff when they will know ^^ )

Some much talk about n-spire so now I am curious to put my hands on one. Cool
When I discovered ti-82 was hacked I laugh at TI. Imagine then nspire hacked. It will be full parody.

Now about hacking stuff and the try of brute force the encryption. In z80 there are some routines that could be a situation like that. Maybe a kind of ld a,(hl) \ ld h,(h) \ ld l,a
Or calls and jumps that are very used. Especially jps to just some bytes after, especially equivalent of relative jumps >_>

I do not make a minor ideia of ARM5 instructions but processors have similar instrunctions I think, only more and extended options. I only know z80 and with few experience.

Nintendo DS has a ARM processor at 67 Mhz that make quite cool 3D games. Oh and it is from the same family of processors.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Oct 2008 09:37:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 46 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement