This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
critor

Posted: 13 Oct 2009 01:36:58 pm    Post subject:

Mapar007 wrote:
This may be a stupid question, but where exactly does the 8070 field start, or how is it identified? (I have extracted the boot2.img from the tno file, AMS upgrade 1.7)

I've asked the same question, and got this usefull answer:
http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopi...st&p=136885
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Oct 2009 01:56:53 pm    Post subject:

Aaah, I was taking the 4 bytes following the 807F with the field...
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 08 Nov 2009 04:10:44 pm    Post subject:

not strictly related to the topic but...

I just got my hands on a nspire cas + and it appears that, contrary to what one might think, it is a preproduction model... Now this wouldn't worry me that much were it not for the fact that TI says it isn't possible to upgrade the OS on these calcs. So my questions are : is there really such a limitation? if so, would there be a way to circumvent it that does not involve too much soldering? and if no such wy is known at the moment is there any hope that it might someday be possible? (my understanding is that it isn't possible to flash the boot1 that resides in the 512k NOR flash but that the rest of the memory could at some point be altered so, depending on where the "protection" is located, circumvention may or may not be possible)
Goplat

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 09 Nov 2009 08:37:20 pm    Post subject:

I figured out the problem: the OS image is decrypted little-endian, while the library I had been using did it big-endian. I'll post a program to decrypt the OS image soon.

Edit: Here it is. Since it was so non-intuitive to extract the 8070 field out of a .img file, you don't have to do that with this. Just run it on TI-Nspire.img directly (or boot2.img, since I included boot2 decompression too).

Edit: redacted, not sure it's legal to distribute this publicly

Last edited by Guest on 28 Jul 2010 08:28:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 10 Nov 2009 12:05:35 am    Post subject:

Goplat wrote:
I figured out the problem: the OS image is decrypted little-endian, while the library I had been using did it big-endian. I'll post a program to decrypt the OS image soon.

Edit: Here it is. Since it was so non-intuitive to extract the 8070 field out of a .img file, you don't have to do that with this. Just run it on TI-Nspire.img directly (or boot2.img, since I included boot2 decompression too).

Hold on - you decrypted the OS?
Goplat

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 10 Nov 2009 12:23:53 am    Post subject:

calc84maniac wrote:
Hold on - you decrypted the OS?
Yes. Decrypting TI-Nspire.img gives a .zip file which contains a file called phoenix.raw which is the main part of the OS.

Last edited by Guest on 10 Nov 2009 12:35:58 am; edited 1 time in total
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 10 Nov 2009 02:44:49 am    Post subject:

err... the OS has been decrypted for a few days already... the details are available on a french forum but the general procedure is simple : extract the 8070 field from boot2.img and TI-nspire.img and run the blowfish decryption of the boot2 in an arm simulator (gdb (from an arm-elf toolchain) can do that) to decrypt the OS.
The french community has been figuring out entry points addresses like crazy over the past few days.
ah-blabla

Posted: 10 Nov 2009 04:19:15 am    Post subject:

-->[whiteout]I'd watch out about DMCA stuff: whereas TI were in the wrong about signing keys, they are probably perfectly within their rights to demand this is taken down, since it circumvents their copy protection on the os. Backup everything you see just in case.[/whiteout]<--
Wow...

Last edited by Guest on 12 Jul 2010 01:05:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Galandros

Posted: 10 Nov 2009 09:22:54 am    Post subject:

wow, nice Very Happy

I am gonna get my Nspire CAS of the box soon. ^^

I have to start thinking where I can get tools to program it? CPU instructions set, assemblers, compilers, etc..
First "we" need to find the exploit, though.
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Nov 2009 10:37:30 am    Post subject:

ah-blabla wrote:
-->[whiteout]I'd watch out about DMCA stuff: whereas TI were in the wrong about signing keys, they are probably perfectly within their rights to demand this is taken down, since it circumvents their copy protection on the os. Backup everything you see just in case.[/whiteout]<--
Wow...

Too late. I downloaded it! xD

Last edited by Guest on 12 Jul 2010 01:04:23 am; edited 1 time in total
ah-blabla

Posted: 10 Nov 2009 11:10:16 am    Post subject:

Mapar007 wrote:
Too late. I downloaded it! xD

However that tool isn't even needed to do the decryption, there is a guide *somewhere* in french on how to do it, the program is just an implementation. [whiteout]Do the TI guys even understand French? And I don't think the DMCA can act against guides how to circumvent copy protection, only software. As well as banning your circumventing such protections. But even there there is an exception (Cool. Sadly I'm not in the US Sad -- what a shame.[/whiteout]<--

Edit:// Actually, the DMCA explicitly allows this:
Quote:
(f) Reverse Engineering. -

* (1) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a)(1)(A), a person who has lawfully obtained the right to use a copy of a computer program may circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a particular portion of that program for the sole purpose of identifying and analyzing those elements of the program that are necessary to achieve interoperability of an independently created computer program with other programs, and that have not previously been readily available to the person engaging in the circumvention, to the extent any such acts of identification and analysis do not constitute infringement under this title.
* (2) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsections (a)(2) and (Cool, a person may develop and employ technological means to circumvent a technological measure, or to circumvent protection afforded by a technological measure, in order to enable the identification and analysis under paragraph (1), or for the purpose of enabling interoperability of an independently created computer program with other programs, if such means are necessary to achieve such interoperability, to the extent that doing so does not constitute infringement under this title.

(From http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/openlaw/DVD/1201.html#B)

Last edited by Guest on 12 Jul 2010 01:03:36 am; edited 1 time in total
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 10 Nov 2009 11:48:31 am    Post subject:

Galandros wrote:
I am gonna get my Nspire CAS of the box soon. ^^

I have to start thinking where I can get tools to program it? CPU instructions set, assemblers, compilers, etc..
First "we" need to find the exploit, though.

Don't get too excited yet. There's still no way to run native code AFAIK. As for CPU spec they can be found on the hackspire wiki and any gcc toolchain targeted for arm cross compilation will do when times come to write some code.

@ah-blabla : I'm pretty sure the TI-guys do understand french well enough. They cannot send DMCA in europe (even though the soon-to-come ACTA agreement might change that) but they used a somewhat similar law to silence the RSA-factoring related thread on a french forum. Besides they do not seem very concerned about the validity of their DMCA (ab)uses...
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 10 Nov 2009 11:52:08 am    Post subject:

critor wrote:
Mapar007 wrote:
This may be a stupid question, but where exactly does the 8070 field start, or how is it identified? (I have extracted the boot2.img from the tno file, AMS upgrade 1.7)

I've asked the same question, and got this usefull answer:
http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopi...st&p=136885

Field extracting made easy for those who'd like to play with the img files : extract_field.c just does what its name suggests.
Goplat

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 10 Nov 2009 04:08:57 pm    Post subject:

I found the main function of the Z80 calc emulator: it's at addresses 103C5904 to 103D88C7. Since the emulator is known to be so buggy, it might be a good place to look for exploits.
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 10 Nov 2009 04:57:44 pm    Post subject:

Goplat wrote:
I found the main function of the Z80 calc emulator: it's at addresses 103C5904 to 103D88C7. Since the emulator is known to be so buggy, it might be a good place to look for exploits.

Is that code also present on the nspire CAS? Because if, as I remember, it isn't then any exploit found in it will not be usable on CAS calcs which would be a shame...
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 10 Nov 2009 06:16:50 pm    Post subject:

Do you know of any capable, free ARM disassemblers for Windows? I can't seem to find any.
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 10 Nov 2009 06:30:05 pm    Post subject:

a arm cross-compiled build of objdump will do. Obviously it does not has all the features of IDA but it works...
Techrocket9

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 10 Nov 2009 09:43:48 pm    Post subject:

I don't know if this can help in the nSpire battle, but I recall that the Windows Bitlocker encryption was broken by freezing the RAM with liquid nitrogen while the system was running, then plugging the frozen RAM chip in to a "friendly" system and dumping its contents (because some/all ram types maintains their states for a short time when powered down while frozen). Though, it seems that the encryption has been broken, so this post could be entirely irrelevant. If that is the case, could such a dump provide some insight into where a buffer overflow can be found?

Note that this is not my page:
You can get liquid nitrogen (click here)

Last edited by Guest on 10 Nov 2009 09:44:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 10 Nov 2009 10:23:42 pm    Post subject:

My disassembly only went up to 774934. Did I do something wrong?
Goplat

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 10 Nov 2009 10:41:53 pm    Post subject:

calc84maniac wrote:
My disassembly only went up to 774934. Did I do something wrong?
Non-CAS phoenix.raw v1.7.2741 is 0x774938 bytes long, so that's the right size at least. Remember that the OS should start at address 0x10000000, though (in objdump, use the --adjust-vma option to set the base address)
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 12 of 46 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement