This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
Snipes17

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 12:26:54 am    Post subject:

While trying to program in asm, I have run into a wall because of compiling. I can compile a program in Latenite without errors, but when I send it to wabbitemu to run it, the program freezes the calc no matter what I put into the main section of the program. I am very new to asm and I don't know what to do to actually produce a program that works. Any help/suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Spencer

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 12:52:14 am    Post subject:

You will always be able to trust Wabbitemu to behave like a real calculator for your program when you are first starting out.

In order to help diagnose your problem, post the code that you are trying to use. Try building a sample or template that comes with latenite to verify you can build and run simple programs.
CobyWalker

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 11:21:04 am    Post subject:

Snipes17,

There is no reason to use that Emulator,
in Latenite just click "Start Debugging" it will
automatically use PindurTi to test your program.

Also if your not getting build errors your program should be fine.

I know this because I have experience in Latenite.(Signature)

Last edited by Guest on 24 Aug 2008 11:22:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Snipes17

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 05:15:57 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
There is no reason to use that Emulator,
in Latenite just click "Start Debugging" it will
automatically use PindurTi to test your program.

Thanks. I forgot about that. It runs my programs, so it must be something outside of Latenite.

How do you run an Asm program without a shell? This might solve my problem.
benryves

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 06:42:52 pm    Post subject:

Asm(prgmPROGNAME. You'll find Asm( in the "Catalog".
Snipes17

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 11:02:21 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Asm(prgmPROGNAME. You'll find Asm( in the "Catalog".

Ok. That's what I thought, but wabbitemu freezes when I enter any code into a file and run it.
asdf

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 02:13:58 am    Post subject:

Post your code! There's not really a whole lot else we can do without seeing it Smile
JoostinOnline

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 06:14:51 pm    Post subject:

Spencer wrote:
You will always be able to trust Wabbitemu to behave like a real calculator for your program when you are first starting out.
[post="126306"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

A bit of a biased opinion me thinks. Razz
Spencer

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 08:49:12 pm    Post subject:

It is very unlikely TIOS and other large programs would run if there were a problem with the hardware basics. Of course, it's open source, so if you find a problem, fix it.
Snipes17

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 11:35:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Post your code! There's not really a whole lot else we can do without seeing it  Smile

I am just using Latenite's regular TI83+ (native) setup. Where it says "insert code here" I have been putting in small pieces of code just for practice. It isn't any specific code. It just is freezing on wabbitemu and I don't know why. The debugger works fine, though. I am fine with using that until I know enough about ASM to put it on a real calc.

Last edited by Guest on 25 Aug 2008 11:38:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
asdf

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 26 Aug 2008 01:50:32 am    Post subject:

Have you tried any other emulators or a real calc? Does Latenite give you any warnings? Does it work if you don't use any bcalls?
Spencer

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 26 Aug 2008 02:46:33 am    Post subject:

Snipes17 wrote:
Quote:
Post your code! There's not really a whole lot else we can do without seeing it  Smile

I am just using Latenite's regular TI83+ (native) setup. Where it says "insert code here" I have been putting in small pieces of code just for practice. It isn't any specific code. It just is freezing on wabbitemu and I don't know why. The debugger works fine, though. I am fine with using that until I know enough about ASM to put it on a real calc.
[post="126395"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
It sounds like you may have a bad ROM. You also said your catalog didn't have ASM( ? Are you running a TI-83?
JoostinOnline

Posted: 26 Aug 2008 07:46:26 am    Post subject:

Spencer wrote:
It is very unlikely TIOS and other large programs would run if there were a problem with the hardware basics.  Of course, it's open source, so if you find a problem, fix it.[post="126385"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No, I don't know how, nor do I know of a problem. I just think that it is unlikely that there is not a single bug in the whole emulator. Don't get me wrong, I think it is the best one out there, but it is pretty rare to find flawless code on such big projects.

Edit:
Spencer wrote:
It sounds like you may have a bad ROM.  You also said your catalog didn't have ASM( ?  Are you running a TI-83?
[post="126397"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Spencer brings up a very good point. I hadn't thought of either.

Last edited by Guest on 26 Aug 2008 07:49:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Spencer

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 26 Aug 2008 08:54:53 am    Post subject:

JoostinOnline wrote:
I just think that it is unlikely that there is not a single bug in the whole emulator.

There's hundreds of bugs I'm sure! For the simple stuff, you shouldn't worry though. Unless you're dabbling in advanced hardware, you should be alright. Smile
Snipes17

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 26 Aug 2008 05:48:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
It sounds like you may have a bad ROM. You also said your catalog didn't have ASM( ? Are you running a TI-83?

I have the ASM( command. I am using an 83+ ROM and it is fine. I do not know the problem but the same ROM works with the debugger in Latenite (Pindurti isn't it?). I can work with that for now so I won't worry about it until later. I would have tried it on a calc but I have an 89 Titanium now. Thanks for all the suggestions, though!

*EDIT*

Found it. I didn't know that you leave out the '_' in bcall for Latenite, so I guess the part in the parentheses of the title on this thread was right. Sorry about all the confusion. Wabbitemu and Latenite are fine.

Last edited by Guest on 26 Aug 2008 07:02:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoostinOnline

Posted: 27 Aug 2008 01:16:14 pm    Post subject:

Snipes17 wrote:
I would have tried it on a calc but I have an 89 Titanium now. Thanks for all the suggestions, though![post="126410"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Using a rom of a calculator that you don't own is illegal.
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 27 Aug 2008 02:18:03 pm    Post subject:

JoostinOnline wrote:
Snipes17 wrote:
I would have tried it on a calc but I have an 89 Titanium now. Thanks for all the suggestions, though![post="126410"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

[post="126424"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

He used to own one, but it broke. Wink
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Aug 2008 04:30:31 pm    Post subject:

calc84maniac wrote:
He used to own one, but it broke. Wink
Indeed. Hence, the calculator lives on in spirit.
Snipes17

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 27 Aug 2008 05:08:34 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Thank you Calc Police :biggrin:
I do still own the thing. The problem is that the LCD is cracked and you can't read all of the screen. I can still get a rom off of it, so I don't think it is very illegal. But with lawsuits these days, you never know!

Anyway, I am learning asm for the 83 series because I haven't had much experience with asm and there aren't very many good tutorials for the 68k calcs. Also, I think programming in Ti basic on the 89 isn't as fun as it is on the 84+. I hope to learn enough asm to make a strategy game, but I can't say what it is yet.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 27 Aug 2008 06:03:21 pm    Post subject:

have you considered C (using TIGCC) for 68k calcs? Or are you more interested in learning an actual assembly language, which imho is pretty fun and interesting?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement