This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
El Jaque

Posted: 19 Aug 2008 11:42:13 am    Post subject:

my calc is missing around 200 bytes of RAM, i guessing from memory leakage, and the is preventing me from playing certain large games. is there any way at all to fix the problem? please help!
thanks
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Aug 2008 11:47:43 am    Post subject:

So-called "memory leaks" go away as soon as the program causing them exits. That isn't the problem.

I'm curious how you could notice that as little as 200 bytes are missing. I don't even know how much RAM the calculator is *supposed* to have within 200 bytes.

Some memory usage simply doesn't show up in the memory menu, like the history of recent home screen entries. If that's the problem, you could erase this history with the Clear Entries command. Also, deleting unused variables might help.

Last edited by Guest on 19 Aug 2008 11:49:16 am; edited 1 time in total
El Jaque

Posted: 19 Aug 2008 11:55:19 am    Post subject:

well actually, 200 bytes is a guess...
i was trying to play larger games such as castelvania and verdante forest, but my calc ran out of RAM (verdante forest only died on the 3rd chapter though)!!! then i looked online for how much RAM the 84+ SE is supposed to have and it said 24 Kb, but i only have 23766 bytes of RAM. weird...

EDIT: how much RAM does a regular 83+ have, seeing as these are 83+ games?

Last edited by Guest on 19 Aug 2008 11:56:10 am; edited 1 time in total
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 19 Aug 2008 01:03:26 pm    Post subject:

El Jaque wrote:
well actually, 200 bytes is a guess...
i was trying to play larger games such as castelvania and verdante forest, but  my calc ran out of RAM (verdante forest only died on the 3rd chapter though)!!!  then i looked online for how much RAM the 84+ SE is supposed to have and it said 24 Kb, but i only have 23766 bytes of RAM.  weird...

EDIT: how much RAM does a regular 83+ have, seeing as these are 83+ games?
[post="126144"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Archived programs take up a small amount of space in RAM for the Variable Allocation Table entry (7 bytes plus the number of characters in the name), so that can pile up if you have a lot of programs.
El Jaque

Posted: 19 Aug 2008 01:30:31 pm    Post subject:

thanks! that helped a LOT though i'm still a little short on RAM for some reason (86 bytes! and if i delete all lists it brings it down to 12 freaking bytes not enough). grrr this is really annoying. is it possible that my RAM was corrupted? i hope not.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 19 Aug 2008 02:42:11 pm    Post subject:

Delete every thing that is not an app or the game you want to play and you should have enough ram. Apps take no space in the vat that is why they can stay but app vars, programs and every thing else take up the 7 bytes + the name in the vat.
vuurrobin

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Aug 2008 03:52:47 pm    Post subject:

clear ans as well, that can also take up ram memory if there is a big list, matrix, or string stored into it.

just store an empty string into it. 0 works also, but an empty string is a bit smaller.
Art_of_camelot

Posted: 19 Aug 2008 11:01:31 pm    Post subject:

I had the same problem when trying to play caselvania, some of the RAM I was supposed to have was simply not showing up. If you reset your RAM you should be able to reclaim the missing RAM. Dont forget to delete the lists.
thebetter1

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 10:57:24 am    Post subject:

Occasionally, memory leaks can occur in assembly programs. This happened to me once. Basically, if you turn the calculator off during a GetKey B_CALL, it returns to the Ti-OS when you turn it on again, but it doesn't crash. The program is still stored at 9D93h, though, so you can be missing some ram. Just reset the ram to fix it. I doubt that this caused you to lose 80 bytes of ram, though.
JoostinOnline

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 06:23:10 pm    Post subject:

My solution to losing ram because of archived programs was to use a nice app called Group Tool to group all my programs into one or two group variables, and just extract one if I needed it. The nice thing about Group Tool is that you can make groups bigger that 24 K and only ungroup the files you want.
asdf

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 09:42:08 pm    Post subject:

Wow, i always thought something like that would be really useful. That's great!
JoostinOnline

Posted: 26 Aug 2008 07:57:21 am    Post subject:

asdf wrote:
Wow, i always thought something like that would be really useful. That's great!
[post="126389"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thanks, I figured it out when I was trying to get enough RAM to run Gemini on my 84+SE. Of course, I owe my discovery to the TI Community since they found out that programs still take up RAM if they are archived. Before that I thought there was something wrong with my calculator Very Happy
Flameviper

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 28 Aug 2008 06:57:07 pm    Post subject:

If I'm missing large amounts of memory I just archive all my programs and clear RAM.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement