This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Flameviper

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 05 Jun 2008 02:09:42 pm    Post subject:

So I've got a bunch of programs in TI-BASIC; 5 games (all of which have ~25 high scores in list memory and take up ~1500 bytes each), a complete Metric auto-converter, a distance calculator, and others. They're pretty complex (GRAPH PRIX, a racing game, takes up 10,000 bytes), but they take up so much space that at least 8 have to be archived to fit in the RAM. And they're too a slow. I've tried removing extraneous commands, cutting out redundancy, and using For( loops for similar commands, but they still move at a snail's pace.

How do I compile them into Assembly?

The owner's manual said (or I interpreted) that the command AsmComp(PRGM1, PRGM2) would convert ASCII into hex, thereby producing an assembly program. I added AsmPrgm to the first line of the program and did the AsmComp( but to no avail. It keeps giving me errors, despite the fact that I'm following the book verbatim and everything I've read so far seems to suggest I'm doing it right.

What am I doing wrong? Is it a faulty line somewhere, or do I have a fundamental misunderstanding of the assembly compiler?

Please help.
justusdude

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Jun 2008 02:30:45 pm    Post subject:

It actually converts hex code to assembly iirc.
Flameviper

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 05 Jun 2008 02:49:01 pm    Post subject:

So how would I go about converting my regular ASCII program into assembly? Would it just be as simple as replacing all the commands/etc with their corresponding hex codes and compiling the resultant code? Because I could easily do that in Word or something.
Art_of_camelot

Posted: 05 Jun 2008 03:41:05 pm    Post subject:

You cannot convert TI-BASIC to assembly. Assembly (ASM) is an entirely different language that is written on the pc and uses a compiler program to make it into something that is useable by the calculator.
Flameviper

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 05 Jun 2008 05:20:48 pm    Post subject:

Art_of_camelot wrote:
You cannot convert TI-BASIC to assembly. Assembly (ASM) is an entirely different language that is written on the pc and uses a compiler program to make it into something that is useable by the calculator.
[post="124279"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, shit.
black-salamander

Posted: 05 Jun 2008 07:47:37 pm    Post subject:

If you have the hex code from a compiled assembly program, you can enter in like this:

Code:
:AsmPrgm
:<Hex Code from asm prog>

Then, compile it from the homescreen

Code:
AsmComp(<Program containing hex code to compile>,<program( not an existing one) to compile into>)

then run the asm program with Asm(<assembly program>)
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Jun 2008 07:54:58 pm    Post subject:

[quote name='black-salamander' date='Jun 5 2008, 05:47 PM']If you have the hex code from a compiled assembly program, you can enter in like this:

Code:
:AsmPrgm
:<Hex Code from asm prog>

Then, compile it from the homescreen

Code:
AsmComp(<Program containing hex code to compile>,<program( not an existing one) to compile into>)

then run the asm program with Asm(<assembly program>)[/quote]Kindly back up your calculator first, as you could destroy the contents inside if you have made a mistake in the hex.

Also, compiling isn't completely necessary before running it, using this method.

Last edited by Guest on 05 Jun 2008 07:55:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
black-salamander

Posted: 05 Jun 2008 07:56:59 pm    Post subject:

True, but I always compile it first, because if somebody decides to edit it and screws up the hex without me knowing, then I'm in trouble.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 05 Jun 2008 08:18:12 pm    Post subject:

you could try learning ASM. I recommend reading ASMin28
vuurrobin

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Jun 2008 07:27:34 am    Post subject:

you can also use basicbuilder to change your programs into an app. there isn't any speed inprovement, but there is a rather large size improvement.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement