This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Chasney913

Posted: 09 May 2008 03:37:56 pm    Post subject:

One of the people in my class has a TI-84+ (regular). He requested that I get him some games, to which I graciously obliged. One is Mario, and the other is Acelgoyobis (pinball, for those who don't know). They work fine on mine.
When he plays them however, the screen is screwed up, where every two pixels it moves off a line, so the whole thing is on a diagonal. It also seems to wrap around so that anything that won't fit on the screen is moved to the bottom. It does this for the aforementioned games, and if I recall correctly, TinyCarZ, but I'm not sure on that. It seems like it's doing it to anything that requires a shell.
To date, I have tried: RAM clear, OS update, and CalcUtil (I thought it might be Mirage). I have attached a fun picture of what it looks like, using a screen from RushHour (forgive me, WikiGuru!) As you should be able to see, it would be difficult to play. Mario's not too bad, but Acelgoyobis and TinyCarZ are unbearable. I'm looking for ideas on fixing it. I'm sure people have come across it before, as I've seen it on a TI-83+ previously. I have tried to do a search for something related, but it's difficult to describe. I'm sure he would be pleased.

Last edited by Guest on 09 May 2008 07:44:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 09 May 2008 03:47:24 pm    Post subject:

The bug is caused by the crappy lcd drivers ti uses, someone else can give you more details.
Search for alcdfix on ticalc have him run it every time his ram is cleared it will prevent this form happening.
Igrek

Posted: 09 May 2008 05:19:58 pm    Post subject:

There is also a patched version of mirageOS somewhere but I suggest using alcdfix, it does a great job.
This is the link to alcdfix:
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/366/36608.html
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 May 2008 06:10:29 pm    Post subject:

This is a serious enough problem that the OS needs to be patched to apply this fix on boot. I don't know how people survive having to apply that patch every single time you reset RAM.

Since it's SE/84+ only, you could store the program on page 30h/70h, although you'll have to look into the OS a little to see where to apply the patch to regain control on boot, and what to do to stop it from erasing sector 30h/70h (which it does on first boot).
Chasney913

Posted: 09 May 2008 07:43:53 pm    Post subject:

Is there a way to do that procedure that has been created, or are you talking theoretically? If it's been made, that'd be great (I'd assume it hasn't), but if not, how would I go about doing that? I have no experience in that sort of thing, but I'm fairly confident my friend would rather not have to run the patch every time.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 May 2008 07:51:48 pm    Post subject:

It doesn't exist yet. It would involve writing to the OS, which is not necessarily easy, or legal.
Chasney913

Posted: 09 May 2008 08:41:48 pm    Post subject:

So it's probably not going to happen then. Is there any way to make the program provided run after the RAM is cleared? I know there's a way to run on start-up, but this would only need to run after a clear occurred.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 May 2008 09:05:16 pm    Post subject:

brandonw wrote:
This is a serious enough problem that the OS needs to be patched to apply this fix on boot. I don't know how people survive having to apply that patch every single time you reset RAM.

I don't see what's wrong w/ running LCDfix every time. I don't get RAM clears that often anyways.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 May 2008 10:43:08 pm    Post subject:

My RAM is cleared every few minutes I'm using it, but that's probably because I'm crashing it through stupid code.

A calculator with this kind of problem is worthless for development without something to automate it like that.
Taricorp

Posted: 10 May 2008 10:17:02 am    Post subject:

I've never looked at an 84 ROM, but the 83+ OS has lots of free space on page 1. You could modify the code at 0056h to jump somewhere on page 1, then duplicate whatever you needed to overwrite for your jump there, and return to 0059h.

That's assuming it jumps to 0056h (where the boot code returns to) when you clear the RAM, though.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 May 2008 04:17:23 pm    Post subject:

The code at 0053h is a jump...it has to be, because the ID bytes and error handler are immediately after it (address 0056h and call 059h and 05Ch). You can replace the address here with one at the end of page 0, where you can place some of your own code, but just be sure to back up the original 0053h jump address, because that's where you'll be returning to.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement