This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
simonzack

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 18 Apr 2008 07:28:16 pm    Post subject:

I got some problems in linear algebra, the rest were easy, but I just couldn't solve one, maybe I need more practice...
It goes like this:
for square matrix A, if |A|=-1, transpose(A)=invert(A), then prove that |I+A|=0
Can anybody please help me?
Thanks
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Apr 2008 10:31:50 pm    Post subject:

I think I have it figured out for 2x2 matrices, but since my approach was analytical and not grounded in theories of matrices I can't scale it up to n x n. I'm using the calculator's formatting for matrices since it's familiar and doens't require whitespace.

Let's say A =
[a,b]
[c,d]

Given |A| = -1, you know ad-bc=-1. (1)

A-1 can be calculated since you know the determinant.
[-d,b]
[c,-a]

AT is trivial to calculate, too.
[a,c]
[b,d]

Now we can see that a=-d, and c=b. Let's use this information with our original information from the determinant (1) to rewrite it with only two variables.
-a2-b2=-1, or
a*a+b*b=1

The only way this is possible is if a=±1 and b = 0, or the other way around.
This means our matrix must be either
[±1,0]
[0,∓1]
(case 1)
or
[0,±1]
[±1,0]
(case 2)

Add I to case 1.
[1±1, 0]
[0, 1∓]

The determinant is then going to be (1∓1)*(1∓1) - 0*0, which will be 0

Add I to case 2
[1,±1]
[±1,1]

This determinant is (±1)2-12, which is also 0.

I am almost certain that I will feel rather dumb soon when someone else posts a simpler answer that's actually a proof and works with sizes greater than 2x2. What the hell, it was an interesting thinking exercise.
simonzack

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 18 Apr 2008 10:45:10 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, thanks for the reply, I got it for 2*2 matrices as well like your method, but I don't think it's easy to be scaled up to get the general form of n*n, as for each matrix A, it's child (think that's what its called) B transpose(A) doesn't have to equal inverse(A)
Edit:
so, urr, any hints or solutions?

Last edited by Guest on 19 Apr 2008 02:39:51 am; edited 1 time in total
CoBB

Posted: 19 Apr 2008 05:47:20 am    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
a*a+b*b=1

The only way this is possible is if a=±1 and b = 0, or the other way around.

That’s not true. The equation is satisfied for any x if you define a = sin(x) and b = cos(x).

I can’t really think of a simple proof at the moment. You have to realise that if AT = A-1, then A is an orthogonal matrix, and its determinant can only be 1 (rotation) or -1 (rotoinversion) without giving any more constraints. It is possible to find a matrix P (a linear transformation) that transforms A into a canonical (diagonal) form D: PAP-1=D. D has non-zero elements only in its main diagonal, either in 2x2 elementary rotation blocks or just solitary ±1s (identities or reflections). I+A is a polynomial of A, therefore it is left intact by the transformation P: I+A=P-1(I+D)P (this is easy to verify by simple substitution). Using the basic property of determinants that |A||B|=|AB| we can see that |I+A|=|I+D|, and also that |A|=|D|. Since |D|=-1, at least one of its 2x2 blocks must have a determinant of -1 or its diagonal must contain a -1 somewhere. Therefore, adding the identity matrix to it will introduce a zero factor that will make the determinant of the sum (I+D) zero, and we’re done.

If this is over the top, read up on orthogonal matrices and diagonalisation.
simonzack

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 19 Apr 2008 06:11:43 am    Post subject:

wow, thanks for the solution
the book I was reading hasn't introduced orthogonal matrices at all, so i didn't know anything about them Neutral , but i think its got to be somewhere in the later chapters
I've checked on them, and took some stuff in now. Thanks
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement