This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
simonzack

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 04 Apr 2008 01:54:46 am    Post subject:

I tried to search for the code for Berlekamp's algorithm for ages, but can't any, can somebody give me some code for this factorizing algorithm?
(On wikipedia, it dealts with ring theories and things, but I don't want to look for it all just for this algorithm to implement)
(even pseudo code)
thanks!
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Apr 2008 08:34:29 am    Post subject:

If you're looking for a way to factor numbers, Berlekamp's algorithm is not what you're looking for. I mean, it deals with "ring theories and things" because it's an algorithm for factoring polynomials over finite fields, and I can't see a use for that if you don't know anything about ring theory in the first place.
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 05 Apr 2008 07:45:43 am    Post subject:

Are you just looking for a factoring algorithm?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Apr 2008 11:24:01 am    Post subject:

The only nontrivial factoring algorithm I know that might be useful by itself on the TI-83+ is the quadratic sieve. Even that might be fairly complicated to implement, but easier than more advanced methods.

Wikipedia claims the quadratic sieve is fastest for factoring numbers with less than 100 digits. You'd need to write several big-integer routines to even deal with numbers larger than that, so this is definitely good enough for all normal numbers.

Even the quadratic sieve might be overkill, though. I'm not sure how it compares to the obvious factoring approach (divide by odd numbers less than root n) for the relatively small numbers you'd be dealing with.
simonzack

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 06 Apr 2008 12:36:53 am    Post subject:

no, I'm really looking for a polynomial factoring algorithm, I need to implement it, is it complicated in code, and are there any C code implementations I can check?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Apr 2008 08:10:39 am    Post subject:

And are you sure you're trying to factor polynomials over finite fields? That seems to me like a fairly unpopular application.

Factoring polynomials is equivalent to finding roots.
simonzack

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 06 Apr 2008 08:20:30 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, it's needed in a function to see where user-defined arrays overlap (polynomials), and they could be anything, (like array1[2n] && array2[3n]), the maximum values of the index, the program needs this function... anyway, you're right, my program is unpopular
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 07 Apr 2008 12:02:37 am    Post subject:

I have a feeling you don't really need to factor polynomials (much less in finite fields!) to solve your problem. There might be a simpler approach to check the "overlap" you speak of.

In any case, most of the polynomial factoring algorithms (that do not involve root extraction) are not too trivial to implement, and are quite complicated. The algorithm due to Cantor and Zassenhaus (see this) has in fact superseded the algorithm in this topic's title.

thornahawk
simonzack

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 08 Apr 2008 02:28:20 am    Post subject:

Your link gave me some "read only mode" error for some reason, do I have to be in some university with a user name and password to read it?
Quote:
I have a feeling you don't really need to factor polynomials (much less in finite fields!) to solve your problem. There might be a simpler approach to check the "overlap" you speak of.

Is this about ring theory as well?
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 08 Apr 2008 12:48:55 pm    Post subject:

simonzack wrote:
Your link gave me some "read only mode" error for some reason, do I have to be in some university with a user name and password to read it?  [post="122278"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
It worked fine for me in Firefox 3b5, but failed in IE7. If you are using Internet Explorer, try using a different browser.
simonzack

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 24 Apr 2008 01:38:15 am    Post subject:

Yeah, and I got that last thing (my aunt works at uni, so she has access to jstor after all :hmpf:, thus me)
Actually, now I've looked at it, abstract algebra sounds kind of interesting
Does anybody have some resources that I can learn it from?
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 24 Apr 2008 06:55:10 am    Post subject:

Well, "Algorithms for Computer Algebra" by Geddes et al. and the two "Computer Algebra and Symbolic Computation" books by Cohen are a place to start, but I must warn you that this is not for the (mathematically) faint-hearted. ;)

thornahawk
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement