This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
nitacku

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Apr 2008 06:16:25 pm    Post subject:

Ok, so here's the scenario:

A few minutes ago I upgraded my 512mb of ram to 2gb. After enjoying the huge speed boost for a few minutes, I discovered that certain fn key commands cause a graphical glitch on the screen. The commands that cause this glitch are the screen brightness and the volume controls. Normally these commands will cause a small display to appear for a few seconds in the upper left corner of the screen, informing the user of either the current brightness/volume. Now, after the ram upgrade, those certain fn commands will cause the screen to turn black and two columns of seemingly random glitchy black and white bars to appear where the display would normally be.

I've already reinstalled the video driver so that can't be it. Also, a screenshot taken during the glitch does not capture the glitch, but instead takes a perfectly normal picture, as if the glitch is not even being displayed. I suppose I can tough it out, since the glitch only lives during the few seconds that the display would normally appear, but if this continues, my patience might not be enough to endure this sour apple.

Any knowledge on this issue would be gratefully appreciated.

thanks,
nitacku
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 03 Apr 2008 06:26:11 pm    Post subject:

I'd check if the lcd ribbon cable is bent or squished...
nitacku

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Apr 2008 06:34:41 pm    Post subject:

The screen works fine.
The only time the glitch occurs is when the fn combinations for brightness/volume are pressed.
All the other fn combinations work fine as well.

Last edited by Guest on 03 Apr 2008 06:34:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 03 Apr 2008 09:08:14 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, but if part of the ribbon cable was damaged, I think that could affect at least the brightness controls...
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 04 Apr 2008 07:51:22 am    Post subject:

I would run some sort of hardware test utility to make sure there are no problems with the new RAM or your video hardware. Sometimes there could be one tiny problem that will not show up in normal usage, but will show in certain situations.

A few years ago I used BurnIn test, although I have no idea if that is current / the best nowadays.
netham45

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 13 Apr 2008 10:53:04 am    Post subject:

I'd try a memtest86+.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement