This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Flofloflo

Posted: 01 Apr 2008 10:18:34 am    Post subject:

Hello,

AAAAHHHH!! I am having an OMFG moment here!
Turns out I put some wrong results in the table.... And that was not an april's fool's joke!Surprised I'd say 'Praise the lord' if I where a believer! But I'll just say 'JUPPIIIEEEE'

I am busy on a report on PI, and right now in particular with square roots.....
I am trying to solve: √(1+√(x+√1(+√(x......
Using my calculator I found these results:
X = input
S = output

X . . S . . . .S/X
2 . . 7 . . . .3+1/2
3 . . 61 . . . 20+1/3
4 . . 221 . . .55+1/4
5 . . 571 . . .114+1/5
6 . . 1219 . . 203+1/6
7 . . 2297 . . 328+1/7
8 . . 3836 . . 479+4/8
9 . . 6232 . . 692+4/9
10. . 9594 . . 959+4/10

Now if you look at these fractions at M, you gotta admit it looks peculiar!
For a few seconds I thought I had a formula:
X^4-2x^2-x+1=S
But it only works for X = 2,3,4,5, 6 and 7....
Still, it leaves me thinking..... The nice fractions change, and all of a sudden, the formula also stops working!
I bet I could find a formula for the next list of numbers, but without a doubt it'll change again once x=14 or something..... Well, maybe not, I have yet to try it..... But can anybody shed some light on this?

Something else: If needed I can explain how I got at X^4-2X^2-X+1, but I am Dutch, and it took me half an hour to explain it vaguely in Dutch.... I don't really feel like translating all of it:P

WOW!
I just tried my ol' formula out for some other, higher numbers.... And it worked again.
This is weird, I guess it's just off for certain numbers... I gotta figure out why though!

I gotta finish the report in two days, so I hope I can finish it before then...

-Floris

Hmm... April's fools huh-_- These things are so lame-_-

Last edited by Guest on 01 Apr 2008 12:31:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Apr 2008 12:32:13 pm    Post subject:

This reminds me of the Pronic Numbers, which are the numbers x where x-√(x+√(x+ produces whole numbers. Seeing that these can be calculated with x²-x, we can follow suit with your equation to get S = (x²-1)²-x, which expands to the formula you found. Thus, you just must have erred in your efforts after x = 7. The pattern continues. :-)

[EDIT]

Wow, spoke one minute too soon. Good to know that the universe isn't on its head after all.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Aug 2010 02:41:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement