This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
Agent84

Posted: 22 Mar 2008 09:40:33 am    Post subject:

hello, im sure most of you are familiar with the Super Mario(TI-83+) level editor, MEDIT. I have encountered an error. Whenever I try to make a multi-level world, my calculator crashes, and i am greeted with a RAM clear, and my entire progress is deleted. Is there a bug, or is my calculator messed up? (I own a TI-84) :confused:
Xphoenix

Elite

Posted: 22 Mar 2008 12:09:05 pm    Post subject:

I have never had trouble with MEDIT (TI-84+), nor have my friends (TI-83+ and TI-84+SE). You should try downloading the newest version and sending it again. You could also try archiving everything and clearing your RAM, though it seems that you are getting enough of those.
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 22 Mar 2008 12:35:55 pm    Post subject:

I've never actually made a level in MEDIT, but I have a friend who made a level, and then it crashed (either while editing it or while playing it, I forget which.) I do know that he was using MirageOS, because this was in the dark ages, before CalcUtil Razz (just kidding, MirageOS is still cool, and it probably crashes less that CalcUtil anyway Razz)
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 22 Mar 2008 03:33:43 pm    Post subject:

I used it just fine. Possibly you don't have enough ram, or you are making too big of a level/world. If you can, try making it on a friend's calc.
trevmeister66

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 22 Mar 2008 03:36:11 pm    Post subject:

Actually that happened to me too recently. It happen (I think) after I had created a second level, but hadn't actually put anything on the level, then quit out of it, and then played the level. It crashed after I beat the first level. I was also using MirageOS. That's the only time it's ever happened to me, and I've used MEDIT alot.
Agent84

Posted: 22 Mar 2008 07:07:46 pm    Post subject:

well, you see, i take a long time making mario levels, and some of mine are actually really good (according to my friends). So, it gets really annoying that when i try to make a second level, right in the middle of putting a new piece down, the calculator crashes. So, i lose the entire level, and everything in RAM.
*By the way: you cant have a level opened in MEDIT if its in archive, it must be in the RAM*

Where can i get the newest version, ticalc.org?
cjgone
Aw3s0m3

Posted: 23 Mar 2008 11:29:57 pm    Post subject:

Yes, on ticalc.org.

I don't think it's Mirage OS's fault.

You might have created a map that's beyond the editors bounds, I dunno.

Last edited by Guest on 23 Mar 2008 11:30:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marduk13

Posted: 13 May 2008 09:26:30 pm    Post subject:

There are several ways MEDIT could crash:

1.Don't place any more than 130 columns for each level. At 140 with absolutely nothing else added, it will crash. I reccommend 125 each.

2.Don't place the cursor at the last column, and delete the column. The cursor will be deleted too.

3. Don't make a levelset with too much RAM (no more than 10000).

4.Garbage collect once in a while. If you don't, things will get glitchy.

5.Don't put too much junk in one level.
/
Go to http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/356/35686.html for a Backup application. It will help protect your file.

How do I know this stuff? It's cuzz I'm one smart SOB. By the way, anybody know how to get rid of randM( whenever you archive the levels or upload on the computer? I had some weird theories why this happens whenever you make a new level, but so far none of them are true. This was the main reason why you can't upload file onto the computer. I'd appreciate it if somebody could me give their opinions.

Posts merged, correction made. –Weregoose

Last edited by Guest on 14 May 2008 05:25:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 May 2008 11:14:32 pm    Post subject:

button, you smart SOB you. ;)

Welcome to United-TI! Very Happy
Marduk13

Posted: 14 May 2008 12:34:26 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, Weregoose. I kinda miss small details sometimes.

I still would like some people's opinions about the upload error, but I think I figured it out.

Whenever you make a new levelset, you will be asked what to name your program. The limit of the no. of characters you could use is 8. Use all 8 spaces if you hope to upload the file onto the computer. Otherwise, you could only transfer between calculators. If you do not use all 8 spaces, the "randM(" will appear after the program's name. This code will repeat itself depending on the no. of empty spaces you have.

If you don't know what I mean, press "PGRM" and look for your level. Press ENTER and you will see the code "randM(". I t noticed that my levelsets with 8 characters in their program names didn't have this weird glitchy code, so that helped me solve this problem.

I'm an investigative type of person. Sometimes, I could solve difficult problems such as this Dry I'm sure all this info will help everybody.

Last edited by Guest on 14 May 2008 12:49:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
vuurrobin

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 May 2008 02:11:15 pm    Post subject:

well, if the programs have illegal tokens in there name, then that would explain why the programs wont send to the computer.

grouping the programs would allow you to send it to the computer and back.
WikiGuru
ADOS (Attention deficit... Oh! Shiny!)

Elite

Posted: 14 May 2008 05:45:36 pm    Post subject:

Grouping also keeps the programs (or a copy of the programs) in the archive, away from any stray RAM clears.
Marduk13

Posted: 14 May 2008 08:09:43 pm    Post subject:

Thanks. Grouping works, and it's more convenient than the process that I came up with. It's a better method for uploading invalid files.

Try out these Mario levels: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/410/41005.html

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/410/41044.html

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/410/41045.html

Last edited by Guest on 08 Sep 2008 11:00:18 am; edited 1 time in total
wastd

Posted: 28 Oct 2008 09:35:09 pm    Post subject:

how do you end a level in medit? i know i sound stupid, but i cant figure out how to get the ribbon to go up and down on the poles at the end of a level
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 28 Oct 2008 10:21:40 pm    Post subject:

It's one of the "enemies". Just place it like any other enemy.
Marduk13

Posted: 31 Oct 2008 10:54:42 am    Post subject:

wastd wrote:
how do you end a level in medit? i know i sound stupid, but i cant figure out how to get the ribbon to go up and down on the poles at the end of a level
[post="128322"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Y= Button is where you find enemies. The bar that finishes a level looks like a bullet. Place the bar at the end and at where you want it to be at its highest point. It moves up and down automatically.
SonicBoom95

Posted: 01 Nov 2008 12:22:34 am    Post subject:

Marduk13 wrote:
wastd wrote:
[post="128322"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Y= Button is where you find enemies. The bar that finishes a level looks like a bullet. Place the bar at the end and at where you want it to be at its highest point. It moves up and down automatically.
[post="128363"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The poles surrounding the ribbon are tiles. They're somewhere in the ALPHA menu.

EDIT: Don't try to delete a column at the very edge of a level, ever. RAM clears are possible.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Nov 2008 12:23:15 am; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Nov 2008 09:06:17 pm    Post subject:

You don't actually need the "pole", the bar will float up and down without them. It just is more consistent with poles.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement