This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
xrotaryguy

Posted: 04 Feb 2008 06:22:16 pm    Post subject:

For some reason, I can not get my new ti 89 to do integration the way that the instruction manual says it will. I follow the key strokes from p53 of my manual:

which is supposed to return this:

bit all I get is this:

If I enter the limits of integration, then everything works out fine, but according to the manual, I should be able to integrate without limits too. I am new to this calculator, so I am not sure if I am just doing something wrong or what.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Feb 2008 07:09:53 pm    Post subject:

To integrate without limits, the variable of integration (in this case x) must be undefined. If the variable is already used for something, then the calculator will do the integral, but then substitute its current value. So if x were equal to 5 in this case, the calculator would get to sin(x)-x*cos(x), then return sin(5)-5*cos(5).

But presumably you would have figured out what's going in that case. The further problem is that the variable you've stored to x is of a non-algebraic variable type (most likely a picture, although it could be, say, a text file or a GDB). So when the calculator substitutes the value of x in the result, it gets a nonsensical result like sin( of a picture, and gives you this error.

To fix this error, do DelVar x. Another method is to select the F6:Clean up menu option and choose "Clear a-z..." which will clear all the one-letter variables in the current folder. The same effect is also possible using the NewProb command.

I hope that answers your question. Welcome to United-TI!

Last edited by Guest on 30 Aug 2010 07:54:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
xrotaryguy

Posted: 04 Feb 2008 08:51:27 pm    Post subject:

Sweet! that did it. Thanks for the advice.

Brian
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement