This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 08:09:43 pm    Post subject:

I just picked up my new TI-Nspire. Now I have some questions about it.

1) After messing around with it a little, I plugged it into the computer (with the nspire keypad). The little window came up asking me if I wanted to automatically install the software for the calculator. I said yes, and it started to install. Then, an error came up. It said that "The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software". Why is this?

2) I made a little program to test on the nspire. I have the Prgm and EndPrgm tags, but I don't know how to actually run it.

3) Is there a place where I can get a more detailed version of the Nspire manual? The manual that comes with it is so small...

None of the answers to these questions were in the manual, so I thought "What better place to check than United-TI?"

Anyone have any answers?
Recursive Acronym

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 08:16:48 pm    Post subject:

1) You have to install the connectivity software first.
2/3) RTFM.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Jan 2008 08:17:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 08:18:51 pm    Post subject:

Where do I get the software? do I have to buy that too? Cause I'm flat broke after spending $160 on that thing...
StudioMadcrow

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 08:50:28 pm    Post subject:

Nice purchase, but I suspect you could have spent the money on something better like an 89 Ti (or an HP 50g if you've already got the 89Ti, which is quite cool and uses the came CPU as the Nspire, so you can use it to learn how to program ARM systems and then use that knowledge when they finally get "native" code running on the NSpire).

Still, let us know about your adventures!

Last edited by Guest on 11 Jan 2008 08:51:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 08:53:57 pm    Post subject:

I would have got an 89, but I will still use my 83+, and the 89 isn't compatible with the 83+.

Another question: on the back of the calculator is a little slide-up protector with metal contacts underneath. Is there some kind of docking station for the Nspire?
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 09:31:08 pm    Post subject:

Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz wrote:
Where do I get the software? do I have to buy that too? Cause I'm flat broke after spending $160 on that thing...
[post="118665"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

didnt it come with a cd?

if so, use that. if not, then the TI website is the place to go,
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 09:47:03 pm    Post subject:

no cd. did I get the older version with the old OS? Do I need to upgrade it?
JoostinOnline

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 11:29:44 pm    Post subject:

[post="118670"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Wow, TI is really getting cheap now, not even including CD's Neutral

Anyway, from what is being discussed on other threads, if you do have an older OS on the calculator I suggest you keep it. As for the computer software, go here.
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 11:35:26 pm    Post subject:

Aww, man! More stuff to pay for... I have zero money now. Downloaded free trial, though.
Recursive Acronym

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Jan 2008 12:06:02 am    Post subject:

StudioMadcrow wrote:
Nice purchase, but I suspect you could have spent the money on something better like an 89 Ti (or an HP 50g if you've already got the 89Ti, which is quite cool and uses the came CPU as the Nspire, so you can use it to learn how to program ARM systems and then use that knowledge when they finally get "native" code running on the NSpire).

Still, let us know about your adventures!
[post="118666"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The 89 Titanium is not really "better" (IMHO). It has a CAS and it supports assembly programming (z80 on the emulated 84+ SE doesn't count), but the nSpire is better at almost everything else. The HP 50g also has an ARM emulating another processor, not allowing ARM assembly. Read this post for more information.

JoostinOnline wrote:
[post="118670"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Wow, TI is really getting cheap now, not even including CD's Neutral

Anyway, from what is being discussed on other threads, if you do have an older OS on the calculator I suggest you keep it. As for the computer software, go here.
[post="118678"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Since the nSpire is currently being marketed towards educators, not students, the units will not come with a CD because educators would have no use for them (just a guess, but more logical than assuming that TI is "getting cheap"). You gave a link to the TI-nSpire Computer Software, which is like a software version of the nSpire handheld that TI sells. He needs the (free) TI-nSpire Computer Link Software.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Jan 2008 12:10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Jan 2008 08:11:46 am    Post subject:

Does the computer link software install a program for linking the Nspire, or just the driver, and then I use TIConnect? Because Whenever I install the software and click on the desktop shortcut, it tries to install it again.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Jan 2008 08:31:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Recursive Acronym

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Jan 2008 10:15:23 am    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure that it does the whole thing, and you don't need TI-Connect.
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Jan 2008 10:54:21 am    Post subject:

After I installed it, every time I click on the desktop icon, the installation file opens up, but the help file says differently... :confused:

And where can I get the Mirage OS and Doors CS patches?

Last edited by Guest on 12 Jan 2008 11:01:19 am; edited 1 time in total
BatBlaster

Posted: 12 Jan 2008 11:00:52 am    Post subject:

Sounds sweet. Can it send text editor files directly to the comp. No conversion necessary
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Jan 2008 11:02:41 am    Post subject:

I can't even get it to open any kind of program. It (the computer) detects it (the calculator) when I plug it in, but I can't open the Link software.
Recursive Acronym

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Jan 2008 11:14:53 am    Post subject:

Find the program in the "Programs" list in the Start menu. Install desktop shortcuts if desired. I think that you need TI-Connect to connect to the 84+. The patch for MOS (there isn't a DCS patch AFAIK) should be on brandonw.net.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Jan 2008 11:16:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Jan 2008 11:21:49 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I think that you need TI-Connect to connect to the 84+

I can get the 84+ to work on TI Connect, it's just with the Nspire keypad that it won't work.
StudioMadcrow

Posted: 12 Jan 2008 11:26:35 am    Post subject:

Recursive Acronym wrote:
The 89 Titanium is not really "better" (IMHO).  It has a CAS and it supports assembly programming (z80 on the emulated 84+ SE doesn't count), but the nSpire is better at almost everything else.  The HP 50g also has an ARM emulating another processor, not allowing ARM assembly.  Read this post for more information

The HPs don't support native ARM programs? Try telling that to the people who wrote and maintain HPGCC (http://hpgcc.org/) which compiles to ARM code (and allows for ARM assembler development too)

The Nspire DOES have many advantages from a purely calculator POV, but the 89 Ti is (IMHO) still the best mix of calculator and computer functionality available from TI in a "classic" form factor (92+/V200 is even better as a computer due to its higher res screen and qwerty keyboard, but is too big and bulky for routine calculator usage). The Nspire MIGHT someday gain enough computer-like features to someday replace the 89Ti as the best "all-arounder", but until it does, I think that the 89Ti is the best value for the money.
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Jan 2008 12:27:43 pm    Post subject:

This is getting frustrating. I installed it, reinstalled it, uninstalled it, installed it again, and restarted my computer after every thing I did, and still when I click on the icon in the desktop, or in the start menu, it tries to reinstall again. I checked the folder where it is installed, and the program isn't there. The shortcuts are linking to the installer. But where is the program?
pugboy

Posted: 12 Jan 2008 12:39:27 pm    Post subject:

Go here for software and the OS.

Go here for how to program in BASIC.

What OS?

Try uninstalling the software, uninstall the driver. Download again from the TI Website. Worst case, I will PM you a link for the software that came on the CD.

Also, no editing plain text on the comp. It is tokenized.

I get the opposite. Comp detects the 84, but TI Connect doesn't :|

Btw, you need the latest OS to program with the Disp command...

Last edited by Guest on 12 Jan 2008 12:43:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement