This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Rebma Boss

Posted: 28 Dec 2007 11:30:56 am    Post subject:

Hi, all!

While working on Basic+, there are times when I wonder what people would like or would not like. While the betas and sample programs are great ways to get opinions, sometimes the best way to get opinions is a poll. So, I will sometimes be posting polls.

Here are the details to the first poll. How would you like multi-page applications handled? In other words, how do you want page-assignments handled?

1. QuickBasic will have some functions so that the program writer can choose which commands, variables, subprograms, etc. are on which application pages. (In other words, switching pages is handled by the user)

OR

2. Basic+, during translation, automatically assigns commands, variables, etc. to pages, and therefore Basic+ handles switching pages. (This will still be in pure TI-ASM)

Feel free to ask questions if you are confused! Also, PLEASE VOTE! This is helpful for me, so I know what everybody wants, and it helps you, as you may get the option you want.

EVERY POLL OF MINE WILL BE TAKEN FOR TWO WEEKS. That includes this poll, and any other poll I decide to take.

Last edited by Guest on 28 Dec 2007 11:52:47 am; edited 1 time in total
nitacku

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Dec 2007 12:37:26 pm    Post subject:

I can see how having Basic+ plus handle the pages would make the process easier, however, I can also see how potential problems could arise if you had to access a bunch of commands that are scattered across the pages. It would be faster and more logical to access all the commands needed from one page and then switch to the other in order to minimize the amount of switching that has to be done. Only the programmer could really know the best way to organize the commands on the pages.

Here is a middle solution:
Have the user define where the commands go during compilation, but have B+ automatically handle the page switching during execution.
Rebma Boss

Posted: 28 Dec 2007 01:03:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Have the user define where the commands go during compilation, but have B+ automatically handle the page switching during execution.

That's what the first choice in the poll is for.

Quote:
I can see how having Basic+ plus handle the pages would make the process easier, however, I can also see how potential problems could arise if you had to access a bunch of commands that are scattered across the pages. It would be faster and more logical to access all the commands needed from one page and then switch to the other in order to minimize the amount of switching that has to be done. Only the programmer could really know the best way to organize the commands on the pages.

I'm glad you mentioned that, but if Basic+ handles compilation (second choice in the poll), there would probably be no scatters. The method I would use as a first resort would be putting all commands and common subprograms on one page, and putting data and infrequently used subprograms on other pages. I also have other ideas if this doesn't work.
Rebma Boss

Posted: 09 Jan 2008 08:15:55 pm    Post subject:

Remember that this poll ends in two days.
WikiGuru
ADOS (Attention deficit... Oh! Shiny!)

Elite

Posted: 10 Jan 2008 12:15:03 am    Post subject:

Allow Basic+ to choose where to put routines and page swapping, but also allow users to "interfere" and introduce certain parameters to how Basic+ arranges stuff.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 10 Jan 2008 08:17:56 am    Post subject:

I agree with wikkiguru on this I think you should be able to do both. allow more advanced programers to do manual page wsitching and be able to arange their code how they like. BUt also have the option of B+ doing for them for people who don't want to mess with things like that or for poeple who don't know as much about the hardware/programing.
Rebma Boss

Posted: 10 Jan 2008 09:59:18 am    Post subject:

I'll certainly think about it. Automatic page-handling will appear in Beta 2, and if more than a few don't like it, than I'll probably allow the user choosing where the code goes.

In other words, the majority of people are wanting Basic+ to handle the whole thing, so give it a try--if several people don't like it, I'll consider doing both.
Rebma Boss

Posted: 12 Jan 2008 12:36:53 pm    Post subject:

THE POLL IS NOW OVER. If someone in charge of this site could remove or lock this post, that would be great. Until then, here are the final results:

10% want to use QuickBasic code to command Basic+ where they want subs, variables, etc. to be placed in multi-paged applications.

90% want Basic+ to handle the whole thing, or they want some interference with Basic+ doing the rest.

So what I'm doing when I get to multi-paging is, for right now, Basic+ will handle the whole thing. If enough people want some interference, I will probably incorporate it in. Whatever the case, the poll is at 10% and at 90%, and until this poll is locked or removed, I will not consider any other votes.

Thanks to everyone who voted!

Last edited by Guest on 12 Jan 2008 12:37:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement