This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Noob88

Posted: 18 Dec 2007 09:31:22 pm    Post subject:

Ok, my younger brother had interest problems to do for homework tonight and I was able to do it all because it was just simple review. Then I got to the last problem, and I was completely baffled on how to set it up as it was different from the rest of them. Here is the problem, if anyone could show me how to set it up and solve it, that would be amazing.

If Emma had earned one fourth of a percent more in simple annual interest on an investment, the total interest for one year would have been $45 greater. How much money did she invest at the beginning of the year? In your cheart, set up two investments: one for what Emma actually did invest and the other which represents what she would have received with the 1/4% higher interest rate.

The other problems were all simple interest problems and were easy to solve, but for some reason this one has me stumped. I'm not sure if he figured it out or not yet, but I've been looking at it and I just cannot get it at all and I know I'm going to feel dumb when somebody explains it to me Dry
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 18 Dec 2007 09:50:01 pm    Post subject:

well, if .25%X =45 ,with X being the inital amount so, naturally, X is 18000.

Did that help?
Noob88

Posted: 18 Dec 2007 09:52:22 pm    Post subject:

Not so much... Here is what another one was

Jim invested $9450, part at 8% simple annual interest and the rest at 11% simple annual interest. He earned TWICE AS MUCH interest at 11% as he did at 8%. How much money did he have invested at 11%?

.11x=2[.08(9450-x)]
.11x=2(756-.08x)
.11x=1512-.16x
1512=.27x
x=5600$

See, but on the last problem, I just have no idea what to do could you walk me through it?
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 18 Dec 2007 10:22:23 pm    Post subject:

Sure. Let's start with an example. 10% of 100 is 10, correct? well, 10.25% of 100 is 10.25. .25% of 100 is .25, so therefore we can assume that x+.25% - x% will be the same as .25%, so no matter what Emma earned, if .25% more is $45 then .25%InitialValue is $45.
Then, you can multiply both sides by 4 to get 1% = $180 and 100% (or InitialValue) is $18000.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement