This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
TiPower

Posted: 03 Nov 2003 07:21:22 pm    Post subject:

Hi. I'm new here, so I might as well introduce myself. I live in New Jersey, and I go to a private Catholic school in Lincroft (central NJ) called Christian Brothers Academy, or CBA. Two or three years back, the school introduced a calculator program. Through this program, every student is given the opportunity to buy a Ti-83 plus calculator from the school (I think it's $85).

Well, everyone did buy one, so now all 850-900 students have a Ti-83+. Of course the teachers are wise to the games and such, but how can you stop the spread of programs when everyone has one?

Now here's my question: I've been programming since I got it 2 years ago, and I just finished my first game yesterday (and it's none other than Pong!) I had previously tried to make a multiplayer chat program, but it just wouldn't work. I made many attempts, but it just seemed impossible with only the GetCalc command. Can anyone help me? I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of two calculatros doing something like this:

lbl 1.....................
getcalc(a).............A=0
If A=1..................input ":",str1
then.....................A=1
getcal(str1)...........
disp str1...............
else.....................
goto 1..................
end.....................

One calculator stores a=o until the string if filled. Then, when it is filled, the other calculator takes it and displays it. I got that part, but the problem I'm having is having both calculators do the same thing at once.

Last edited by Guest on 03 Nov 2003 07:23:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Neostar

Posted: 04 Nov 2003 07:20:52 am    Post subject:

You're probably having the same problem I had when I first made a link up program. What you're gonna need to do is set up two pats of the prog where one calc is the host and the other is the "client". Somewhere along the lines of:

Code:
Menu("Which One","Host",A,"Client",B
Lbl A
{1}->LCHAT
1->A
Goto C
Lbl B
2->A
{2}->LCHAT2
Goto C
Lbl C
If A=1
GetCalc(LCHAT2
If A=2
GetCalc(LCHAT
If A=1:Then
If LCHAT2(1)=2
Disp Str1
End
If A=2:Then
If LCHAT(1)=2
Disp Str1
End
Input "",Str1
If A=1
2->LCHAT
If A=2
2->LCHAT2
Goto C

And I would love to see the Pong game, hopefully, it's not one of those ones where the A.I. is unbeatable, hose suck.

Hope that helps you,
NeoS*ar
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 04 Nov 2003 09:13:13 am    Post subject:

well, here's my pong (you are the AI, so not unbeatable):

and hangman (not up to date screenshot, need to make a current one, as it has been moved to the graphscreen, and draws the man to be hanged):

of course, blackjack:

i will admit, though, because VTICapture captures at 1/2 normal speed, playback is at 2x (in other words, these screenshots are 2x the actual speed)

edit: Welcome to United-TI, TiPower!!! *throws big party*

Last edited by Guest on 04 Nov 2003 05:39:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
TiPower

Posted: 04 Nov 2003 08:45:56 pm    Post subject:

Hmm...that seems like it might work. Just one thing: I've never worked with lists before. I'm not sure how to work them. What is LCHAT and LCHAT2 for?

As for my pong program, I set up 5 levels of difficulty. Very easy, easy, medium, hard, and impossible. It is possible to score on each level, excepct for the impossible level. I just threw that in there for fun. The only problem I'm having is setting up a fair and accurate score system so that the score keeps in mind the difficulty level played (we wouldn't want anyone cheating the hiscore list. That reminds me. I gotta find out how to make an uneditable/encrypted hiscore list).

I'll post the program for my pong game tomorrow and I'll try the chat program you posted.

Thanks for the help!
Matt

Posted: 04 Nov 2003 09:51:53 pm    Post subject:

I dont understand why you need a chat program. Not to put you down. But the cords are not long at all
interwined

Posted: 04 Nov 2003 10:06:21 pm    Post subject:

It's just a nice starting point on sending and receiving variables and a beginning program to learn from.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 04 Nov 2003 10:50:20 pm    Post subject:

you can get SUPER long cords (~5 feet!)
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 04 Nov 2003 11:50:29 pm    Post subject:

ok, here we go:
err, i dont want to type this again, so just go to here:Variable Storage
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 05 Nov 2003 12:35:09 am    Post subject:

Adm.Wiggin wrote:
you can get SUPER long cords (~5 feet!)

I made one once, and it actually worked. It was probably about 10 feet though.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 05 Nov 2003 01:34:54 am    Post subject:

yah, or if you got a wireless one (very cool), even better if it's not IR, so it can go throught walls.
Neostar

Posted: 05 Nov 2003 07:18:24 am    Post subject:

You're welcome! That Blackjack game looks great, so does hangman. Pong is good, but I must admit I do have a sort of malice toward pong games where the A.I. can't be beaten. But you have no A.I. I never thought about doing that... hmm... I may reapproach some of the games I'm working on now. As for the chat prog, yeah it is kinda useless to have a chat program, but it teaches you stuff, so hey, go for it. As for list, they're stored like {#,#,#}->L(listname) and can be recalled like this,
L[listname]([#position in list] and then stored:

LTest(2->A
A->LTest(2
and you can set dimensions like this:
#->dim(LBlah
and they'll all be 0 if they were never used or the list elements will remain if they're already stored there. I hope that helps you and wish you luck on making the prog.

As for the pong game score, you could just store the score to the I% variable inside of finance and archive it. Players are dumb and wn't think of looking there he he he... unless they're a programmer who looks at the code... crap!
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 05 Nov 2003 08:17:18 am    Post subject:

well, you could lock it, but its easy to unlock it...
Neostar

Posted: 07 Nov 2003 07:11:47 am    Post subject:

Question, anyone know how to acrhive a program from inside another prog.... in BASIC? And how can I get Leisure Suit Larry? Anyone heard of that game?
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 07 Nov 2003 07:23:50 am    Post subject:

Leisure Suit Larry

I've heard of it, and I've seen a guy at work get caught leaving his "Leisure Suit Larry" printouts on one of the company's laserjet printers. Needless to say his internet access was permanantly revoked the next day he came into work, and the boss didn't much like the fact he was doing anything with That kind of material at the workplace.

Nuff said.

--AlienCC
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Nov 2003 07:24:49 am    Post subject:

Do I even want to know what it is?

EDIT: Wow, AlienCC thanks for posting that, I almost did a google image search on "Leisure Suit Larry'' right in front of my dad, good thing I read your post just before I did that. Good thing I was home and not at school, could get suspended for that stuff.

Next time you post anything like that Neostar, I suggest you add a warning to what it is since people can get in serious trouble for it. Or not post it at all since it's quite inapropriate on these forums.

Leisure Suit Larry = Not Safe For Work->erotic material image thingies.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Nov 2003 07:54:40 am; edited 1 time in total
interwined

Posted: 07 Nov 2003 12:37:15 pm    Post subject:

Leisure Suit Larry is an old game, it's still fun even if it is offensive although my dad let me play it when I was pretty young... Confused
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 07 Nov 2003 12:48:03 pm    Post subject:

and, neostar, there is no way to archive other programs from a program in basic. asm, yes, basic, no
there are however Archive and Unarchive commands,, which only work with variabls like Pic1,Str3,A,[D],etc.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement