This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 19 Oct 2007 11:28:03 pm    Post subject:

Most of you probably know about the game Portal. Most of you also think it is impossible for calcs (at least for z80). However, recently I have found an interesting Flash game that tries to clone (somewhat successfully) the game Portal in Flash. Here it is.

I was thinking: if so many people have created clones for flash games or are creating them (Linerider, NGame, etc.), why can't somebody create a clone of this game? Sure it won't be first person, but the concept is there, and that is what makes Portal unique. I cannot make it as I do not have sufficient knowledge of assembly, but someone else who has nothing else to do can.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Oct 2007 12:46:15 am    Post subject:

6.8 megabytes sending at 8 kilobytes a second... This will take a while.

I'm intrigued by the concept, though.

[EDIT]

Woo, jumped to 520 KB/sec for the last 10%. :roll:

[EDIT×2]

This would be an awesome game for the calculator. I believe a proof-of-concept is even possible in TI-Basic.

Last edited by Guest on 20 Oct 2007 01:40:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 20 Oct 2007 06:42:02 am    Post subject:

That'd sound pretty cool!
Cryzz

Posted: 24 Oct 2007 03:35:24 pm    Post subject:

In 2D this is certainly possible on a calc but it won't be easy as we will want fancy physics ^^
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Oct 2007 03:58:35 pm    Post subject:

Will we? I don't think the physics of Portal is all that fancy. Apart from the portals, it's pretty much the same as that of any other similar game - all you need to do is accelerate downwards while falling.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 24 Oct 2007 04:34:15 pm    Post subject:

at least it's just 4 directions ^^ doesn't the 3D game allow you to make portals on almost any kind of surface?
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 24 Oct 2007 06:27:28 pm    Post subject:

No. In order to make the game hard, there are surfaces that look like black tiles, that you cannot place portals on. And not on objects either.
angel14995

Posted: 24 Oct 2007 07:43:28 pm    Post subject:

How would you change the angle of the gun? How would the picking up of boxes and turrets be done? How would shooting while in the air and being able to pop up out of what you just shot be done? I'm just offering the challenges that you would most likely come across.

Sound like a good idea, but it would need to incorporate as much in as possible. Sound more like a job for ASM, but I could be wrong.
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 25 Oct 2007 09:04:48 am    Post subject:

I would think that it would have to be ASM as well.

One thing that you have going for you is that you can't control the gun angle during flight so that eliminates having some issues with lack of keys.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Oct 2007 11:14:40 am    Post subject:

If no one would mind a brief (maybe a quarter of a second or less) pause when you shoot the gun, you could easily shoot while in the air and be able to use the portal you create immediately afterwards.

For the angle of the gun, and picking up stuff, I'd say that's just a case of assigning some keys to do the job, which should be possible regardless of the language.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 25 Oct 2007 06:03:41 pm    Post subject:

bullet time?

if it takes a while to aim the gun, might as well make the levels more complicated, instead of levels where you have to aim quickly.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Oct 2007 06:20:50 pm    Post subject:

I don't think it should be that difficult to aim the gun quickly. In fact, why not assign a bunch of the random keys of the keyboard (say, the borders of a 5x5 square) to aiming the gun?
angel14995

Posted: 25 Oct 2007 07:21:26 pm    Post subject:

So then how would it work? Every 45th degree you can shoot? If I needed a portal in a very limited range of angles spot, how would I access it? Or would you just have the levels so that the portals are only needed at certain positions?

And going with ideas, I'll add on to Darkerline's (after asking a bunch of questions, I know... sorry). How about 2,4,6, and 8 do the straight 90 degree angles, then 9 and 7 rotate the gun every 5 or 10 angles forward or backwards respectively. Just an idea...

[offtopic]
And there should definitely be a certain time period (5/10 minutes, or until next post) that someone can edit their post and not have the "Post edited by [person] at [time]" at the bottom.

Last edited by Guest on 25 Oct 2007 07:23:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 29 Oct 2007 05:10:42 pm    Post subject:

I say have two Keys devoted to the aiming of the gun. In the flash version each level takes a few attempts to get it right so If you aim is off you'll have to try again oh well but the 5x5 box would be limiting and get annoying.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 31 Oct 2007 11:36:19 am    Post subject:

This is something that would definitely work with my Grav engine... although you would have to set friction off or really low to get it like the original game, with the chance of getting a real high speed with infinite loops and all.
And collision detect still works like crap as it is now.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement