This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
Alan

Posted: 24 Oct 2003 11:33:51 pm    Post subject:

I got a lot of cool computer stuff at a garage sale a while ago:

1 Data General dot matrix(ascii text only) printer
24 ink ribbons for the printer
1 EzBarcode Version 1.00(15 years old) that uses a laser wand to read barcodes
lots of adaptors like serial to comm and ps/2 to old keyboard plug
1 modem
3 ibm keyboards that are really sturdy and old and the plug unplugs from the keyboard
7 keyboard wrist pads
2 comm switch boxes(one manual and one auto)
1 tent

I got all that for $25 and i think the printer alone would have been worth that. this thing is sweet. i have only tried it with windows but soon i will be using it with linux. it is around 25 years old but still works good. it has a display like a digital clock(forgot what its called) and has 99 options that can be set on the printer and is made for a network. it comes with a processor in it made by Datasouth. Im using it to print source code and other texts.

I dont know why i got the tent, guess just because it was neat and doesnt need poles.

Has anyone gone to any good garage sales lately or do you go to garage sales?
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 25 Oct 2003 01:38:05 pm    Post subject:

Congratulations
JacobdeHaan

Posted: 25 Oct 2003 10:12:41 pm    Post subject:

Jbirk wrote:
Please note that United-TI demands that each post contain a complete sentence expressing at least one complete thought; therefore, we sugguest using at least on noun and one verb!

Are you sure that post is legal? Very Happy
maybe you can consider "congratulations" a complete thought...

edit : Suggested fix- "I congratulate you"

Last edited by Guest on 25 Oct 2003 10:18:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
yugniht

Posted: 26 Oct 2003 01:14:30 am    Post subject:

lol, that's very, ummm, "persistant" (for lack of a better word) of you. Smile
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 26 Oct 2003 03:06:45 am    Post subject:

Congratulations is one of the very few words that can encompass an entire sentence, and it can be conceived as an entire thought. However it is not recomended to abuse it in such a way very often.

Sometimes humans are capable of having no thoughts for moments of time, please don't abuse the privilage of posting during such occasions.

--AlienCC
Alan

Posted: 28 Oct 2003 09:55:12 pm    Post subject:

This topic is about cool stuff found at garage sales.
JacobdeHaan

Posted: 08 Nov 2003 04:13:48 am    Post subject:

yugniht wrote:
lol, that's very, ummm, "persistant" (for lack of a better word) of you.  Smile

Yeah, just kidding anyways.

I mean, Jbirk owns this forum, here he is god (name where that quote basically came from).

About cool stuff found at garage sales:

My friend and I found an old monochrome flat screen (not panel) monitor lying around at a garage sale that we picked up for free. They alse had windows 95 and a crazy track ball. My friend also got a ton of records that they were practically giving away.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 Nov 2003 03:30:30 am    Post subject:

JacobdeHaan wrote:
Jbirk wrote:
Please note that United-TI demands that each post contain a complete sentence expressing at least one complete thought; therefore, we sugguest using at least on noun and one verb!

Are you sure that post is legal? Very Happy
maybe you can consider "congratulations" a complete thought...

edit : Suggested fix- "I congratulate you"

Yes, I do remember saying that, and I still stand behind what I said.

Although I clearly stated that each post much contain a complete sentence with a complete thought, I think the most important aspect of using a forum is communication. Basically, I am saing that a smily face will not do.

Although not a complete sentence alone, "Congratulations" does express a complete thougth when used in the context of how I used it. In fact, like the sentence "Stop." which has an implied subject being "you," "Congratulations" has an implied subject being Alan.

Therefore, we can determine that Congratulations contains a complete thought and almost borders being a sentece even though it is not.

Finally,

Your suggested fix is quite good and definatly meets the requirements of what I said in the past; however, like the supreme court justices, I get to make up the rulls as I go along. Besides, I am not obligated to conform to any of the rulls, but I do well enough that if I were a regular member, the staff would not be discussing the matter with me on a constant basis.

Though I said what you quoted, The rule was technically an unofficial rule sience it never made it into the official "Discussion Board Rules and Polocies" stature found at
http://www.unitedti.org/forums/index.php?act=boardrules

Lastly, although I said that people must post a complete sentence expressing one or more complete thoughts, I really ment people must post one or more sentences. In other words, you can say that I made it a rule that nobody can post more than one sentence, which is not the case. If it were, we would all be guilty of breaking the rulls even you.

If you or someone else would care to send me a warning PM, please do.

Thank You Much

Oh, One last thing:

Alan, I congratulate you! Laughing
JacobdeHaan

Posted: 15 Nov 2003 02:04:16 am    Post subject:

Lol,
I wouldn't say that you just ate me up and spite me out, but I did just get beaten. And yes, I do see what you're talking about, in fact the only reason I even said anything was that when people say "congratulations" they mean it sarcastically, and I felt bad for Alan, because I had just gotten a ton of cool junk at another garage sale, and am still having fun with it.
Alan

Posted: 22 Nov 2003 04:03:02 pm    Post subject:

I just got a cannon BJC-4200 printer for $1 and a headlight for my car for $1, which usually costs $10. The printer is small and cool but its low on ink.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement