This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Website subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. United-TI Top Management => Website
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Sep 2007 03:41:26 am    Post subject:

I.e. someone messes up and is warned. Breaks another rule and is warned again. At this point, it would be a really good idea to implement a 1 day ban as we don't want someone to max out their warn indicator in one day and be banned permanently.

Moderators must not ban anyone permanently!

Moderators MUST NOT ban or warn anyone for doing something outside their area. Even though it is possible to click a name or view them from members and within your forum, you must not manage anything outside your jurisdiction.

For a Warning to be Legitimate:
For a warning to be legit, I demand a complete write up and link to the offending content be listed. This will help our staff connect the logs with a specific topic months later if needed. Even deleted topics will be in the trash for later review. This write up should be in paragraph or bulleted form and have a link to the Terms of Service and state specifically what rule number or numbers were broken. Even if multiple rules are broken in any given post, only create one warning per post. All warnings should be courteous and positively worded. DO NOT make any threats, but do list the actions you have taken. If you banned someone for 2 days, you need to list it specifically. It is inappropriate for moderators to tell members that they are banned until the moderator decides to let them back. State the ban length terms.

Example Warning Template in Blue:

NETWiz triple posted in the "Announcements forum United-TI->Warnings topic." Here is a link: http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopic=7077.

In this specific case, I am not deleting the posts because they contain some important information; however, I will be watching closely. Specifically, I assert that rule #4 from the Terms and Conditions was violated. It reads: "You must not double post (i.e., make two posts that are back-to-back) or multi-post without considerable time between your posts, unless you have a very good reason. In this case, you may find that editing your post a better solution. "

Include the Following:
For more information on the Policies that Govern behavior at United-TI, please refer to the "Terms and Conditions." It is at the top of the page. For your convenience, here is a link: http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?act=boardrules Thanks in advance for your further cooperation. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me or another staff member. If you feel this is in error or unjust, submit a request for review via PM an active UTI-STAFF member. Include your full side of the story as you would like it posted for all of the UTI-STAFF to read. The UTI-STAFF member who receives your request for review will create a topic in "United-TI Top Management," a hidden forum and post a POLL and your exact PM verbatim as you sent it. It will take on average 3 days for the UTI-STAFF members to read the topic, post responses, and cast their votes.

If you feel you would like to appeal, PM one or more UTI-STAFF members and tell them that you wish your request for appeal be posted in the "United-TI Top Management" form.

-Your Name Here

To re-iterate:
Be courteous and polite
Only one warning per post
State the reason for the warning and a link to the content
Put a link to the Terms of Service
Specify the number or numbers of the Terms of Service infractions
List the actions you have taken
If you ban someone, put in the warning the length of the ban
No Threats from Moderators
Invite that member to Personal Message you if they have any questions
Include the appeal process info about contacting UTI STAFF and requesting the topic be posted in the "United-TI Top Management" forum for a POLL/Review.

The Following is an Unacceptable Warning:
"NETWiz double posted."

If a moderator creates a warning like the one mentioned above, please report it to the UTI-STAFF. We will not simply delete the warning, but we will work with the moderator to ensure the warning is re-created with all of the proper details.

Moderators,

I know this is asking you to do more work, but with more power comes more responsibility. Please look at this as a promotion. We may eventually create a group to assert the moderator's role. I.e. UTI-OP or UTI-MOD or something like that. If someone has an idea, create a logo like the UTI-STAFF one and submit it. We will use it if it is good. :-)

In the real world, a warning is much like a write-up. Typically, they stay on file for 6 months to a year with most companies. On this forum, we will attempt to remove warnings more than 3 months old. This means we really need to check the warn logs and issue a follow up. Bans are temporary, however, and do not last 3 months unless it is a permanent ban (lasts forever). If we forget to reset your warn level and you have a warning more than 3 moths old, please let a UTI Staff member know.

We could create a system to automatically reduce the warn level by one every three moths or something like that, but it would not be fair for someone who is warned the day before the script is run to have the warning removed when someone else had to wait a full 3 months. We would probably need a script that checks the warn logs times and runs as a cron job or forum task.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Sep 2007 03:55:32 am; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Sep 2007 08:16:17 am    Post subject:

NETWiz -

While your post may have merit, I feel it would be better if you joined the existing discussion concerning warnings, rather than starting your own topic and effectively declaring it official policy in the public discipline topic without consulting with other staff members. In particular, please do not make a sweeping change such as removing all the warn logs, without discussing it on this forum first - you did not even mention it in this forum, which goes directly against the guidelines we agreed on.

Also, you realize that neither the ordinary members nor the non-Staff moderators can see the sections of this topic that appear to be addressed at them.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Sep 2007 08:20:36 am; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Sep 2007 03:45:16 pm    Post subject:

I have been here since the very beginning and still consider myself the lead director. With that said, AlienCC is the only other person here who I consider my peer on every level of all decisions. I respect all of UTI-STAFF greatly, but at my core I have the greatest respect for AlienCC and David L too.

It has always been up to AlienCC and I to set the tone and create the policies that control the inner workings of run this forum. As always, we are trying to be reasonable and support a good environment for members and users to contribute ideas and discuss a wide variety of areas, so we need everyone’s cooperation to make this community work.

In fact, I recall putting a policy in place years ago stating that the policy can change with our without notice. It is in the aforementioned Terms of Service. Typically AlienCC and I ask for the input of the UTI-STAFF because we are nice guys and care about your input.

As for me clearing the warnings and warning logs and changing the policy, I reserve the rights to do this without consulting anyone. Typically, I consult some of the UTI-STAFF out of respect.

I am aware that ordinary members and non-STaff moderators cannot read this topic. I did, after all setup the permissions for this forum when I created it. This is by design. AlienCC and I are still thinking this policy through; hence, we put a rough draft of it here where it cannot be seen by our Moderators.

When we do come up with a new policy, the Terms and Service will be updated as promised in #13, it will be posted somewhere where the moderators can view it, and it will be a brand new topic not part of your "public discipline topic."

Thanks You for your understanding and continued support

-Jbirk/NETWIz
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Sep 2007 05:32:22 pm    Post subject:

NETWiz wrote:
I reserve the rights to do this without consulting anyone.
Sure. I just hope that this was based on an accompanied agreement for what is best for the forum, as my perception of administrative ethics might be in terrible conflict otherwise. As it is, it feels like my thoughts on this matter have already been squandered. But I'm looking forward to that draft in the works with hope.

Just to be certain, though, Demon is still using his last chance, correct? We're not merely pushing the reset button on all past events.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Sep 2007 05:34:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 01 Sep 2007 05:44:34 pm    Post subject:

Hmm. I don't like the tone of this thread or where things seem to be heading right now.

As such I will be posting a proper response to all posts in this thread in a while, mean while everyone just sit tight and don't burn the house down.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Sep 2007 10:04:32 pm    Post subject:

I did not reset all past events. I only cleared the warning leves and logs. We are just moving on into the future starting a brand new warning sytem with a clean state. This does not mean that those previously banned are forgiven. It simply means that we are enforcing good behavior throughout the forums for all members here forward.

In other words, since warnings now have a standard meaning, we are starting clean.

Weargoose and DarkerLine, I respect both of your opinions greatly and to answer a question Deamon is still on his last chance.

There is a big difference between me going forth with a policy we have talked about for a while and that of me overturning previus decisions. If anything, I feel there is a misunderstanding.

It is my intent to not overturn any previous decisions from the community as I honestly belive they were made in good faith. That said, I am simly moving forward by empowering are moderators, creating a standard warning system, and warning template with a dispute proceduure.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Sep 2007 10:07:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Sep 2007 11:37:03 am    Post subject:

Whoa. Let me step back for a minute. I'm not sure I like how this is playing out, although the intentions are good.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 02 Sep 2007 02:53:39 pm    Post subject:

NETWiz wrote:
I.e. someone messes up and is warned.  Breaks another rule and is warned again. At this point, it would be a really good idea to implement a 1 day ban as we don't want someone to max out their warn indicator in one day and be banned permanently.

Moderators must not ban anyone permanently!

Moderators MUST NOT ban or warn anyone for doing something outside their area.  Even though it is possible to click a name or view them from members and within your forum, you must not manage anything outside your jurisdiction.

For a Warning to be Legitimate:
For a warning to be legit, I demand a complete write up and link to the offending content be listed.  This will help our staff connect the logs with a specific topic months later if needed.  Even deleted topics will be in the trash for later review.  This write up should be in paragraph or bulleted form and have a link to the Terms of Service and state specifically what rule number or numbers were broken.  Even if multiple rules are broken in any given post, only create one warning per post.  All warnings should be courteous and positively worded.  DO NOT make any threats, but do list the actions you have taken.  If you banned someone for 2 days, you need to list it specifically.  It is inappropriate for moderators to tell members that they are banned until the moderator decides to let them back.  State the ban length terms.

Example Warning Template in Blue:

NETWiz triple posted in the "Announcements forum United-TI->Warnings topic."  Here is a link: http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopic=7077.

In this specific case, I am not deleting the posts because they contain some important information; however, I will be watching closely.  Specifically, I assert that rule #4 from the Terms and Conditions was violated.  It reads: "You must not double post (i.e., make two posts that are back-to-back) or multi-post without considerable time between your posts, unless you have a very good reason. In this case, you may find that editing your post a better solution. "

Include the Following:
For more information on the Policies that Govern behavior at United-TI, please refer to the "Terms and Conditions."  It is at the top of the page.  For your convenience, here is a link: http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?act=boardrules  Thanks in advance for your further cooperation.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me or another staff member.  If you feel this is in error or unjust, submit a request for review via PM an active UTI-STAFF member.  Include your full side of the story as you would like it posted for all of the UTI-STAFF to read.  The UTI-STAFF member who receives your request for review will create a topic in "United-TI Top Management," a hidden forum and post a POLL and your exact PM verbatim as you sent it.  It will take on average 3 days for the UTI-STAFF members to read the topic, post responses, and cast their votes.

If you feel you would like to appeal, PM one or more UTI-STAFF members and tell them that you wish your request for appeal be posted in the "United-TI Top Management" form.

-Your Name Here

To re-iterate:
Be courteous and polite
Include the appeal process info about contacting UTI STAFF and requesting the topic be posted in the "United-TI Top Management" forum for a POLL/Review.

The Following is an Unacceptable Warning:
"NETWiz double posted."

If a moderator creates a warning like the one mentioned above, please report it to the UTI-STAFF.  We will not simply delete the warning, but we will work with the moderator to ensure the warning is re-created with all of the proper details.

Moderators,

I know this is asking you to do more work, but with more power comes more responsibility.  Please look at this as a promotion.  We may eventually create a group to assert the moderator's role.  I.e. UTI-OP or UTI-MOD or something like that.  If someone has an idea, create a logo like the UTI-STAFF one and submit it.  We will use it if it is good. :-)

In the real world, a warning is much like a write-up.  Typically, they stay on file for 6 months to a year with most companies.  On this forum, we will attempt to remove warnings more than 3 months old.  This means we really need to check the warn logs and issue a follow up.  Bans are temporary, however, and do not last 3 months unless it is a permanent ban (lasts forever).  If we forget to reset your warn level and you have a warning more than 3 moths old, please let a UTI Staff member know.

We could create a system to automatically reduce the warn level by one every three moths or something like that, but it would not be fair for someone who is warned the day before the script is run to have the warning removed when someone else had to wait a full 3 months.  We would probably need a script that checks the warn logs times and runs as a cron job or forum task.
[post="112006"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Now that I don't have the stress-induced headache anymore and can think clearly on this, I don't like it at all.

DarkerLine wrote:
NETWiz -

While your post may have merit, I feel it would be better if you joined the existing discussion concerning warnings, rather than starting your own topic and effectively declaring it official policy in the public discipline topic without consulting with other staff members. In particular, please do not make a sweeping change such as removing all the warn logs, without discussing it on this forum first - you did not even mention it in this forum, which goes directly against the guidelines we agreed on.

Also, you realize that neither the ordinary members nor the non-Staff moderators can see the sections of this topic that appear to be addressed at them.
[post="112009"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

His post was moved here from the Announcement thread at my request because I wanted some time to think about it when I didn't have a stress-headache and was no longer exhausted, it was not meant to be "official policy" yet or at all if i didn't like it.

NETWiz wrote:
I have been here since the very beginning and still consider myself the lead director.  With that said, AlienCC is the only other person here who I consider my peer on every level of all decisions.  I respect all of UTI-STAFF greatly, but at my core I have the greatest respect for AlienCC and David L too.

It has always been up to AlienCC and I to set the tone and create the policies that control the inner workings of run this forum.  As always, we are trying to be reasonable and support a good environment for members and users to contribute ideas and discuss a wide variety of areas, so we need everyone’s cooperation to make this community work.

In fact, I recall putting a policy in place years ago stating that the policy can change with our without notice.  It is in the aforementioned Terms of Service.  Typically AlienCC and I ask for the input of the UTI-STAFF because we are nice guys and care about your input.

As for me clearing the warnings and warning logs and changing the policy, I reserve the rights to do this without consulting anyone.  Typically, I consult some of the UTI-STAFF out of respect.

I am aware that ordinary members and non-STaff moderators cannot read this topic.  I did, after all setup the permissions for this forum when I created it.  This is by design.  AlienCC and I are still thinking this policy through; hence, we put  a rough draft of it here where it cannot be seen by our Moderators.

When we do come up with a new policy, the Terms and Service will be updated as promised in #13, it will be posted somewhere where the moderators can view it, and it will be a brand new topic not part of your "public discipline topic."

Thanks You for your understanding and continued support

-Jbirk/NETWIz
[post="112021"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

This is somewhat alarming. In the past I have elected Staff members because I cannot be at the forum all the time. Essentially the idea is to act in proxy on keeping things running smooth in my absense. As a result I value very greatly the input any staff members provide me. You guys are often on the forums more frequently than myself, and you know a lot better what is actually going on in the forums in most cases.

A wise saying about leadership goes something to the effect of: you have two ears and one mouth, listen more than you speak. I really try to take that to heart with how I do things.

Weregoose wrote:
NETWiz wrote:
I reserve the rights to do this without consulting anyone.
Sure. I just hope that this was based on an accompanied agreement for what is best for the forum, as my perception of administrative ethics might be in terrible conflict otherwise. As it is, it feels like my thoughts on this matter have already been squandered. But I'm looking forward to that draft in the works with hope.

Just to be certain, though, Demon is still using his last chance, correct? We're not merely pushing the reset button on all past events.
[post="112026"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

In my experience the best way to provide someone with incentive to improve when they are breaking the rules is not to just send out a heavy handed warning. There are a few steps you take:
1) Pull them aside and let them know what they are doing wrong.
2) Make sure they know the consequences of what will happen if they continue with the current behavior.
3) Give a suggestion on how they can improve their behavior.
4) You end by telling them something positive you see in them.

The last step is one of the most important, if you don't want to come off as a tyrant with power. That four step process is very effective in helping people who want to improve do so, I've used it several times in the past with people who worked for me, and in every situation that person improved significantly.

Now for the breakdown of how I would like things here between moderators up to staff.
Moderators: This is a promotion from the UTI Members group and somewhat of a test to see how one can handle power. These guys do not need banning power, just tape to silence someone until a Staff member can determine the correct course of action.
Supermods: You guys really are Staff members, you just don't have access to the Admin CP right now but you will when I eventually upgrade to the newer version of IPB. There are a few complications keeping me from upgrading to a newer version than 2.0.x right now.
Staff: This is a promotion from the Moderators only on an as-needed basis, and only the best of the Moderators can ever make it up to this point if there is a need.

It seems to me that the power is already divided out as it needs to be until the forum is upgraded to a newer version. The warning template seems almost counter-productive according to the method of encouraging improvement among members. Additionally it seems like a lot of overhead work on our part for something nobody is really going to look at more than once.

I am fine with the 4 warnings means a ban. However any further changes than that doesn't seem like right now is the proper time for that, perhaps we can re-evaluate this when the forum gets upgraded and we have a more fine grained control over the forum itself.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Sep 2007 03:24:19 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I have been here since the very beginning and still consider myself the lead director.  With that said, AlienCC is the only other person here who I consider my peer on every level of all decisions.  I respect all of UTI-STAFF greatly, but at my core I have the greatest respect for AlienCC and David L too.

It has always been up to AlienCC and I to set the tone and create the policies that control the inner workings of run this forum.  As always, we are trying to be reasonable and support a good environment for members and users to contribute ideas and discuss a wide variety of areas, so we need everyone’s cooperation to make this community work.

In fact, I recall putting a policy in place years ago stating that the policy can change with our without notice.  It is in the aforementioned Terms of Service.  Typically AlienCC and I ask for the input of the UTI-STAFF because we are nice guys and care about your input.

As for me clearing the warnings and warning logs and changing the policy, I reserve the rights to do this without consulting anyone.  Typically, I consult some of the UTI-STAFF out of respect.
I can see what you meant, but I'm not sure you wanted to come across like this. This section was what made me "step back" earlier, but if I look past it you have some good ideas in the post.

I think the value of guidelines for warnings, etc. is that it provides consistency and avoids questions of unfairness. Although we haven't had it in the past, I think having a fixed system will prevent arbitrary actions. I'll be the first to admit I've been inconsistent or lax in enforcing the rules sometimes. This would help in that regard. However, I don't think these should be set in stone. Having bendable guidelines can be helpful. For instance, strictly following the rules, Demon should have been perma-banned, but the reception to that punishment was lukewarm at best and we let it slide.

As per improved writeups, that's not a bad idea either, but I don't want to write that whole paragraph and poll all the staff for everything. It's good to give reasons for warning, etc. but let's not take it too far.

Quote:
It will take on average 3 days for the UTI-STAFF members to read the topic, post responses, and cast their votes.
QFT. It's too easy to forget this; thanks for reminder.

Quote:
Be courteous and polite
Good guidelines to follow here.
Quote:
We could create a system to automatically reduce the warn level by one every three moths or something like that, but it would not be fair for someone who is warned the day before the script is run to have the warning removed when someone else had to wait a full 3 months. We would probably need a script that checks the warn logs times and runs as a cron job or forum task.
If you want to do the extra work, then sure. I think we catch most of them anyway, so it'd be nice but not necessary.

Just to confim, are all warning logs cleared or not??

AlienCC wrote:
2) Make sure they know the consequences of what will happen if they continue with the current behavior.
I should print this.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Sep 2007 03:38:22 pm    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
Quote:
Be courteous and polite
Good guidelines to follow here.
I agree, I think that's the second best result to follow from this thread, with the first best of course being
AlienCC wrote:

alexrudd wrote:
Quote:

If you want to do the extra work, then sure. I think we catch most of them anyway, so it'd be nice but not necessary.

Just to confim, are all warning logs cleared or not??

The warning logs are cleared.
Possibly, add something like "if we forget to clear a warn level by one after three months, PM us" to the rules so the users take care of it themselves if we forget. Or add some sort of reminder that appears once or twice a month until some staff member takes care of it.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 03 Sep 2007 04:07:26 am    Post subject:

Okay,

This is what it boils down to. I cannot think clearly after the Nextel Cup Nascar Race in Fontana, CA, but let me see if I can finally swing the hammer and hit the nail (not my thumb).

If a user is acting up in a way that needs action, it is clear that our overall goal is to improve that user's behavior not punish. As such, a moderator should pull them aside and go over the following checklist:

1b) Listen to them. They usually think what they were doing is right. Why do they honestly believe they have done nothing wrong?

In the event that a warning is necessary, go through the checklist
Be courteous and polite

The reason for the aforementioned checklist is that it allows us to read the warn logs and make sense of them at a later time. The user really should be told what area of the Terms of Service is violated or else they think a moderator is picking on them. At the very end, the user should have the option to have the warning/write-up reviewed. Obviously, most will not bother. I am thinking of this as innocent until proven guilty.

I implore you to ask yourself how you would feel if you were warned for something which was not in writing and had no sense of recourse

In all, I am really only striving to create a system which is fair and just for all members. I also want to empower moderators to be more a part of the group.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 03 Sep 2007 10:34:45 pm    Post subject:

OK, let's post it then. Don't mention the first checklist, just generalize and say that moderators will try to work with members whenever possible.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Sep 2007 10:00:28 am    Post subject:

What's the process for very minor infractions. A new member pzhukke who joined last week multiposted (the usual "two topics will get me answers faster" strategy) is this a warnable offense? I'm already sending the PM.

* Original Topic
* Duplicate Topic (closed)

And this week there were some questions involving Valueless Posts and 1-word messages. What's our approach to those?

Last edited by Guest on 21 Sep 2007 10:05:55 am; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Sep 2007 12:06:36 pm    Post subject:

It's reasonable to assume that a new member wouldn't even realize that's not a good thing to do. It's not a well-defined rule, but I think in this case sending a PM telling him he doesn't have to and shouldn't do this is enough. Now, if he continues...

For 1-word messages, I think a reasonable strategy would be to ignore one or two cases, but when this becomes a recurring thing, a warning is appropriate. Of course, if the user doesn't realize they're being too laconic, a simple PM might be just as effective.

Last edited by Guest on 21 Sep 2007 03:06:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement