This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Ragol666

Posted: 08 Jul 2007 08:30:26 pm    Post subject:

If you alerady read my other topic in the idea section of this site you should alerady know about the project. If not, let me explain:

I always liked Kévin Ouellet ROL series for the TI-83+, because they had many things not in other calculators RPG, even in ASM, even on the TI-89. However they were slow. In his last game, it took one minute to load maps and it took one minute to load the title screen. Because the author have not released another ROL since 2004, I figured he would never release one. So I sent an e-mail to him, requesting permission to continue the serie. He accepted, so I've started modifying the menu engine I have on my calculator and made it look like a ROL game.

I will have it like ROL3, but with differences

I don't remake ROL3..I will use similar system, same sprites (plus a few of me), however:

-It will have a job system. I mean, you all start Fighter. But then you get new classes, like Sky Mage, Hell Mage, Thief, Knight, Mime. They can use new battle commands after the level of the job is increase. Example: Sky mage level 1 will only use level 1 sky orbs. Level 2 will use level 2 orbs too, etc. A level 2 knight will be able to Cover allies with 1/4 of HP. The level up will make you able to use the commands with the job removed as well. If you played Final Fantasy 5 this is the same job system

-There will be some magic that are not in ROL3

-The CONFIG menu is removed. I think it just take memory and speed for nothing.

-There is only one save file instead of two. I removed one because the ones in ROL4 are HUGE. 9 jobs x 3 persons , 2 vars each (ABP and LV). I don't want to compress them like Kévin did in ROL3 because this will take too much time to load when you start the program.

-When you run the program ROL4, you will not have to wait one minute to load the title (I think that was to rearchive the programs in case you quitted in a battle). xLIB have a program copy command, I will use this and have each programs separated in archive and RAM folders in the final zip file.

I made pictures so you can see how it will look like (there is errors, but I will fix them)

The menu (I am in the game! :ninja: )

The job selection

The ability equipement

The orb option

The row change. Front means attack x 4, middle means attack x 2 and defense x 2, back means defense x 4

The status

A battle screen

I will use most magic and monsters from ROL3, but here is one of the magic animation that was not in ROL3. I did a cool wave effect Smile

EDIT: I forgot to post the classes :-P

-FIGHT: Default job. Can equip 2 commands and have max HP/STR by default. Attacks misses often though.
-SKY: User of sky orbs (mostly curative stuff). Have crappy atk
-HELL: User of hell orbs (mostly offensive). Have crappy atk
-THIEF: Can steal orbs from enemies.
-KNIGHT: Powerful attacker and defender. Sacrify themselves in battles.
-EVOKER: Summon entities in battles. Have crappy attack
-SPACE: User of space orbs (most powerful offensive orbs). Crappy atk.
-NINJA: Throw money at enemies to cause massive damage
-MIME: Mime last command

Last edited by Guest on 08 Jul 2007 08:57:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 08 Jul 2007 09:16:59 pm    Post subject:

Wow. This went somewhere fast. I can't wait to see how this turns out, or to beta test it!

Edited out a speling error --Super Speler

Last edited by Guest on 08 Jul 2007 09:23:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 09 Jul 2007 12:44:57 am    Post subject:

I posted a few ideas/questions on MaxCoderz. I'm just too lazy to post them here, but not too lazy to repeat the same message as on Omnimaga. :biggrin:
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 09 Jul 2007 09:09:54 am    Post subject:

Looks cool, I particularly like the xLib-driven wave effect.
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 09 Jul 2007 09:40:37 am    Post subject:

What?! You're not cutting xLib down like you usually do?! I'm amazed! :o

lol
Xphoenix

Elite

Posted: 09 Jul 2007 11:53:21 am    Post subject:

Ooo, cool.

You want to make the abbreviation for "Level" with a lowercase "v"? In my opinion, it looks better and is slightly easier to read. (But then again, I could be biased due to Pokemon Purple Smile)
Ragol666

Posted: 09 Jul 2007 04:12:33 pm    Post subject:

No, no lowercase Smile, takes two bytes instead of one. I have no idea why this happens. I noticed this when I decided to make the entire menu in lowercase. It was 8 Ko, now it's 6
Xphoenix

Elite

Posted: 09 Jul 2007 05:35:56 pm    Post subject:

It's a well known fact that lowercase takes up an extra byte, but depending on how many times you show level, an extra 10~30 bytes won't make that big a difference, will they?
Ragol666

Posted: 09 Jul 2007 05:55:50 pm    Post subject:

but why just LV? If using lowercase for level, the author would use it for everything else, right?

I guess it's just my point of view
Xphoenix

Elite

Posted: 09 Jul 2007 07:15:09 pm    Post subject:

Could be just my point of view, because like I said, I'm most likely biased b/c of pokemon Smile
If you don't think it needs to be changed, then it's ok if don't.

(Or maybe they just use a smaller font, which makes me think it's lowercase (lowercase v and small uppercase v are basically the same).)

Last edited by Guest on 09 Jul 2007 07:19:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 09 Jul 2007 09:19:59 pm    Post subject:

calc84maniac wrote:

lol
[post="109891"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

huh. :ninja:

Ragol, I'm just amazed how much text you made fit in one screen. Almost gave me a headache.
Ragol666

Posted: 10 Jul 2007 06:20:20 am    Post subject:

See why there is only 9 jobs and 13 commands %)

Actually I leave 2 pixels between text and borders though, I could have let one, but then it make my menu selection program look weird. At least I don't waste 2 colums for an arrow cursor, because I highlight the menu choice instead (for some reasons it didn't showed in the pictures)
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 10 Jul 2007 09:50:30 am    Post subject:

Fallen Ghost wrote:
calc84maniac wrote:

lol
[post="109891"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

huh. :ninja: [post="109917"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Notice how I posted underneath KermMartian. Laughing
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Jul 2007 12:02:25 pm    Post subject:

Ragol666 wrote:
No, no lowercase Smile, takes two bytes instead of one. I have no idea why this happens. I noticed this when I decided to make the entire menu in lowercase. It was 8 Ko, now it's 6
[post="109904"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
If you use the lowercase 'v' from the Seq menu, it takes up only one byte. Try [2nd] [8].
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 10 Jul 2007 01:09:05 pm    Post subject:

Actually, that's not true. All special variable names (matrices, lists, strings, and equations, at least) are two bytes. v is an equation var.
Xphoenix

Elite

Posted: 10 Jul 2007 10:19:02 pm    Post subject:

Yep. Before posting (in my above posts), I checked to make sure. It takes two bytes.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Jul 2007 10:44:50 pm    Post subject:

As far as I know, ANY lowercase character or special symbol is 2 bytes.

Nice job, Ragol, this looks really cool!
Ragol666

Posted: 10 Jul 2007 10:59:52 pm    Post subject:

THanks, at least there is interests here, on MaxCoderz I get no more replies Sad
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 11 Jul 2007 02:55:07 am    Post subject:

Ragol666 wrote:
THanks, at least there is interests here, on MaxCoderz I get no more replies Sad
[post="109958"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Really? I thought you do *opens a new tab with MaxCoderz*... :biggrin:
Ragol666

Posted: 11 Jul 2007 08:24:21 am    Post subject:

I mean, before you check
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement