This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. UTI Members Chat => General Open Topic
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 25 Jun 2007 09:02:46 pm    Post subject:

There are three reasons why I wanted to put this here:
1. I have not posted a new topic in this part of the forum, and I wanted to try it out.
2. I don't want to clutter up the "Project Ideas" with something I may never do. I'm just throwing an idea.
3. I figure that I might get a better response from here. One that's more objective, and brutally honest.
3 and a half: I never really figured out what's appropriate to post in this part of the forum. I mean, it's available, yet...

Anyway.

I'm thinking about wasting 16K for an app that will essentially be a two-panel TI-BASIC editor. The display will be in small fonts so you can see more stuff. Depending on the display settings, it'll display both variable-width font (for fullscreen) and fixed-width (longer characters will just be cut off). The second panel will be separated by a vertical line and also partially displayable on the right-hand side. The right panel will be used for the common TI-OS menus, other programs, and even a clipboard (implying that there will be a copy/cut/paste feature). You will be able to switch between a full 16 column mode and a fullscreen mode for either "window". There may also be an undo feature.

The main question is: Would YOU waste 16K on your calculator for something like this?

Depending on the response, I might try to pull a project like this one off. Otherwise... I guess I could try working on something else.

Last edited by Guest on 25 Jun 2007 09:03:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 27 Jun 2007 03:58:20 pm    Post subject:

Yes and no, it really depends on what features you make available and how well you make it. For something like this it may be a good idea to use the GUI routines from DCS.

Other ideas:
-Very simple grayscale syntax highlighting
-Make normally unavailable character's available.

Also, why 16k, do you mean to make it an app?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Jun 2007 05:51:17 pm    Post subject:

I'd be very happy with an alternative Basic editor (especially with grayscale highlighting) but I wouldn't use the second panel - the screen on a calculator is already too small. The clipboard feature, however, would be very useful.

I'd also be very interested in seeing:

• A search feature
  • Quickly skipping to the top/bottom of the program
  • Switching word wrap on and off (when off, you'd get to scroll left/right)
  • A way to "follow" a Goto or Menu command to the label.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 27 Jun 2007 07:04:12 pm    Post subject:

I'd use it, although I haven't been programming much basic lately.
kalan_vod

Advanced Member

Posted: 27 Jun 2007 09:52:16 pm    Post subject:

I agree with DarkerLine, basically a debugger would be a plus (following lbls/break points).
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 07 Jul 2007 12:10:57 am    Post subject:

One feature that I like that SourceCoder has is it keeps track of the conditionals and loops, so you know if you have the correct number of End commands. The one thing I would change to make it better is that when you scroll over the beginning of the loop or conditional, the matching End command is highlighted and jumped to for easy viewing.

For inspiration, I think you should check out Johan Cohen's Advanced Text Editor, which is made for the TI-86. If you could incorporate some of the ideas from that program into your application, that would be awesome.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Jul 2007 10:49:21 am    Post subject:

The alternative keyboard description from the review looks cool - 2nd toggles letters vs. symbols, while Alpha toggles uppercase and lowercase. Its usefulness would be more limited on the 83+, which uses tokens more directly than the 86 (you don't type in sin( with the letters s, i, and n), however it would still be neat.
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Jul 2007 07:32:50 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for your replies, but I'm afraid that I won't be working on this project for a long while. I've got an on-calc assembler and an update to a game to work on. This is on top of summer college-related material that I've got to do.

Please try to understand my situation...
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 28 Aug 2007 09:59:32 pm    Post subject:

Well, I would probably use this, if it came to exist. I would like the pasteboard and the menus. A speedy Goto would also be nice. If you get the time, this would be a very nice project.
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 29 Aug 2007 07:04:24 am    Post subject:

Glad to hear people are getting some use out of my projects. Smile
netham45

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 06 Sep 2007 09:43:52 pm    Post subject:

hmm, this doesn't look like it would be a waste. I think it sounds cool. Very Happy
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement