This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
AaroneusTheGreat

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Jun 2007 04:33:52 pm    Post subject:

Thanks guys. Oh i started on Doom 89. I have a little of the game construct down, This time i'm using animated sprites, for realizm. so i decided to post a little screenshot to show you what's done so far.

[attachment=1651:attachment]

The level is basically the first level of 13ghosts, i didnt feel like designing a level until i got some basic gameplay stuff worked out. (i actually didnt make up that level setup, although i forgot to put this in my code, the basic shape of the level comes from the fat-techdemos. i just liked the way it looked, so i used it after editing it some.) But i will be designing the levels soon.

Also in the name of speed and memory usage, i put *all* the textures and image stuff in external files. I'm going to do this with the splash screen and other things to aviod using ram space as much as possible.

Anywho, when i get anything substantial done i'll post a demo.

Last edited by Guest on 06 Jun 2007 04:37:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xphoenix

Elite

Posted: 06 Jun 2007 04:37:53 pm    Post subject:

That is awesome!
Lol, at first I thought that thing was a little dude walking around (from back-view) without any foot/leg movement.
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 06 Jun 2007 06:50:37 pm    Post subject:

Great job! I am amazed at how it accurately resembles the real Doom Smile

Why did you make the main character left handed, though? Will you make it an option to change from right to left in the later versions?
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 06 Jun 2007 07:05:19 pm    Post subject:

frenchcalc1 wrote:
Great job! I am amazed at how it accurately resembles the real Doom Smile

Why did you make the main character left handed, though? Will you make it an option to change from right to left in the later versions?
[post="106870"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Making the guy left handed would make the game more accurate, search Doom screen shot. Plus having the ability to switch hands isn't worth the space it would take to run.

Really nice Aroneus. But from what I recall from playing doom, is that it isn't just a bunch of mazes, It has big rooms, wide corridors, and keys in which you need to find to unlock bay doors. Not that I expected the key part yet since this is just a start of the game but, more variety in the levels would add to the game.
AaroneusTheGreat

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Jun 2007 09:37:05 pm    Post subject:

I agree totally, in fact the level in the screenshot was only a test, i have the origninal doom on this computer and have been looking around at how the levels are set up. I'm going to try and make it as accurate as possible.

I noticed on the real calc that the muzzle flash from the gun itsnt on the screen very long, making it kind of hard to see, so i think i'm going to change that. Idk yet because the frame rate might change when i add more handlers for events, so i might not have to.
I'll see how it goes.
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 06 Jun 2007 10:32:41 pm    Post subject:

...but never forget to add your own twists! Wink
AaroneusTheGreat

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Jun 2007 10:42:00 pm    Post subject:

yesh... twists... (laughs villinously)

I dont really know what i want to do there yet acutally. I think for right now i'm only going to stick as close to the original as i can and then add things in as they come to me.

I just made a shotgun image for the screen (a HUD) it's got four frames for the whole animation, that will use up some archive space, but it's definately worth it, i ran it through animation shop pro and it looks really good.

Does anyone know where i can get a hold of the rest of the player perspective gun images? like the minigun firing and maby one of the other guns. (there arent that many) i think there's a plasma thingy.

Any help would be nice. :biggrin:

Last edited by Guest on 07 Jun 2007 12:33:16 am; edited 1 time in total
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 07 Jun 2007 10:46:20 am    Post subject:

Here's a site that has some screenshots displaying the mini-gun, the plasma gun, and some others as well:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/doom/screenshots
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 07 Jun 2007 08:00:32 pm    Post subject:

Aroneus I think these would be more what you are looking for. I just googled "doom sprites"

Gun Sprites & More

Hope this helps. Smile
AaroneusTheGreat

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Jun 2007 09:52:26 pm    Post subject:

Oh man that's exactly what i was looking for, thanks so much.

EDIT:
I did some tweaking with the construct of doom. i added mortality, enemies can fight back. game globals stored in a convinient structure as to avoid memory leaks. sprite info also stored in similar structure. I didnt add the enemies shooting animated sprites into the game yet. idk if i'm going to but i think i will. it'll take insane amounts of archive mem if i do this with all of the charecters in doom. so i think i'm going to limit the number of enemy types to something like five or six.

idk. just some thoughts/updates

Last edited by Guest on 07 Jun 2007 10:04:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
AaroneusTheGreat

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 Jun 2007 02:41:58 pm    Post subject:

New doom screenshot.

[attachment=1676:attachment]
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 08 Jun 2007 03:19:11 pm    Post subject:

The screenshot is awesome! Is the second half of the intro screen supposed to stay after you start the game? Razz
AaroneusTheGreat

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 Jun 2007 10:45:37 pm    Post subject:

haha no i havnt started on any of the pretty stuff yet. i'm going to possibly add that nifty little face from the original doom, and among other things a logo and a little graphical stuff. idk yet. That's just leftover from the lcd memory buffer.

i'll be posting a demo once i get some more things done. but i did add a gatleing gun. it's animated, and if i do say so myself, and i do, pretty cool. it does eat up your ammo something feirce though. I also added weapon switching today (big problem with that for some reason, but the solution was really simple Razz)

thanks for the compliments, but dont get too excited yet. this project may take quite longer than the other one. in fact i almost guarantee it will take much longer.
there's so much to do, so i'm going to get to it. Peace.

Last edited by Guest on 08 Jun 2007 10:49:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 09 Jun 2007 04:15:11 pm    Post subject:

I know that you are limited to enemies, so I would recommend these: Imp, Demon, former human, former sergeant, Baron of Hell, and lost soul. Those are the ones I remember.

Also I was wondering if the fat engine allows you to move along the z axis. (go down stairs/use elevators and such)

Remember the acid pits too. Smile
AaroneusTheGreat

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Jun 2007 04:32:28 pm    Post subject:

unfortunately no, the fat engine doesnt let you change the cam position along the z axis, if it did, the algorythm would have to change the way the textures are scaled, in the original doom i believe they are using RayTracing. instead of RayCasting. that allows angles of walls other than 90* and also allows for z axis variablity.

here's a screenshot of my progress so far, multiple enemies of the same type (defined by the map setup (very cool)) and multiple items. also defined by the map setup.

[attachment=1686:attachment]

btw the screenshot speed doesnt represent the gamespeed. for reference; doom runs about 1/3 faster than 13ghosts.

I have these particular charecters in the game, i have the sprites for *all* the other charecters, but so far i'm not sure how many i'm going to use, the fat engine only allows for so many sprites on the screen at once, before slowing down ridiculously. SO... i might have like four or five different types of enemies. all of which with different difficulties.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Jun 2007 04:34:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Jun 2007 04:38:58 pm    Post subject:

This looks awsome! Makes me wish i had a 89 now.... I wish the 84+ had more 3D games though....

--rcfreak0
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 09 Jun 2007 04:42:33 pm    Post subject:

It looks promising, Calc84mainiac made a full raycasting program in basic. He plans to port it to asm. Hopefully we can get a good shooter out of it.
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 09 Jun 2007 07:48:29 pm    Post subject:

baorder54 wrote:
It looks promising, Calc84mainiac made a full raycasting program in basic.  He plans to port it to asm.  Hopefully we can get a good shooter out of it.
[post="107336"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Or an RPG.

BTW, great job on Doom89 so far (it's a shame I don't have a 68k calc). However, the enemy sprites look a bit too tall. The shotgun shooting also looks a bit funky.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 09 Jun 2007 07:59:26 pm    Post subject:

Delnar Ersike brings up some good points. My opinion is that, you need a delay between the sprites of the shotgun. You hardly see the "shot" sprite and it looks like he is simply tilting the gun. As to the enemies being really tall, I agree. Are you using accurate sprites? Because when a monster gets close to you in game, they shouldn't get that big.

I will post an accurate screenie of a zombie sprite when I refind it.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Jun 2007 07:59:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 09 Jun 2007 08:01:44 pm    Post subject:

baorder54 wrote:
As to the enemies being really tall, I agree.  Are you using accurate sprites?  Because when a monster gets close to you in game, they shouldn't get that big.
[post="107364"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, they are monsters, aren't they? Razz
I think that they should be shrunk down just a bit, though, so that the game resembles the original Doom a little more Wink

Last edited by Guest on 09 Jun 2007 08:09:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 7 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement