This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
AaroneusTheGreat

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Jun 2007 01:04:12 am    Post subject:

This WAD editor is definately a must have for the win95-fat clone developer. heck, any fat developer. so many games like quake, doom and wolfenstein use WAD files and other outdated data archives, so ripping the images is difficult. I was amazed.
-This sounds like a commercial doesnt it?

Anywho, i ripped a ton of images, including the nifty bay doors, and added those cool flaming torches to the game. they are animated, and don't really slow down the oncalc speed in a noticable way, i have roughly 5 to 10 sprites on the screen at once sometimes and the fat engine suggests that the max onscreen sprite number should be no more than three! ha!

anywho, enough showing off, time to get frustrated with something else i cant do and whine about it on the tigcc programming message board.

EDIT;
I added the switch textures today, they are seamless so they will fit together in a pretty way, i have three wall types and two of them have corresponding switch textures. the switch was pasted in the center of the original texture bitmap so that they have the same contrast and brightness. it looks quite pretty, if i do say so myself. I'll work on the code for them later.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Jun 2007 01:05:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
AaroneusTheGreat

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Jun 2007 01:19:43 pm    Post subject:

Here's a screenshot with the animated torches and the new animated wall textures. (they look much better on the real calc, the animations go at a reasonable speed to look good)
you can see the weapon kickback in this screenshot.

[attachment=1718:attachment]

Last edited by Guest on 13 Jun 2007 01:20:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 13 Jun 2007 01:44:35 pm    Post subject:

This looks really nice! Smile
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Jun 2007 03:03:34 pm    Post subject:

Now I really want an 89. TiEmu is nice and all, but it has a few really annoying bugs...
AaroneusTheGreat

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Jun 2007 04:54:51 pm    Post subject:

Yes it does. Well, 89 Titaniums arent too expensive. I got mine for about $165. it's definately worth it. even aside from the games, the math functions are amazing.

Thanks btw for the compliments i've been working really hard on Doom89, and i want it to be as good a game as i can make it. :biggrin:

Last edited by Guest on 13 Jun 2007 04:56:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Graeli

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Jun 2007 04:56:43 pm    Post subject:

Can you say WOW? If only this was for 84+SE...
Xphoenix

Elite

Posted: 13 Jun 2007 04:57:31 pm    Post subject:

AaroneusTheGreat wrote:
Yes it does. Well, 89 Titaniums arent too expensive. I got mine for about $165. it's definately worth it. even aside from the games, the math functions are amazing.

Thanks btw for the compliments i've been working really hard on Doom89, and i want it to be as good a game as i can make it.  :biggrin:
[post="107970"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You paid $165???

Last edited by Guest on 13 Jun 2007 04:57:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
werewolf1492

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 13 Jun 2007 07:36:50 pm    Post subject:

jeez...thats sum wiked good programing, a whole lot better than i could ever pull off even if the code was in front of my nose :biggrin: i was just wonderin as i read sum of the other posts and checked the shots...this would be based on the same Doom that the movies based on right?...i know it sounds like a stupid question but i feel quite amish lately(i cant remember the last time i watched tv) and all i do is use aim, this site and ticalc...good luck to ya! youve got one long road ahead of you
Xphoenix

Elite

Posted: 13 Jun 2007 08:09:13 pm    Post subject:

It's supposed to resemble the original Doom videogame, there were some screenshots earlier from the original game, I'm not sure on the TV part...
werewolf1492

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 13 Jun 2007 08:17:42 pm    Post subject:

Well then, im not sure, perhaps it is...perhaps not...i cant keep up with anything...ive taken to my trebuchet lately due to stress, o yes, that reminds me...im off...
AaroneusTheGreat

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Jun 2007 12:50:18 pm    Post subject:

i have the game loading the maps from an external file now, so far i can only load one map successfully, so i have a few kinks to work out. the basic concept works though. and once i get some memory pointer issues worked out then i'll have almost all of the game construct finished. once i have that. all i need to do is add levels and special tasks and such. (and my own special twists) Smile once i have at least two levels and the map file system working without bugs, i'll post a demo.
werewolf1492

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 14 Jun 2007 05:10:46 pm    Post subject:

Sounds great, thoroughly wish i could use the demo when it comes out though... Sad
Xphoenix

Elite

Posted: 14 Jun 2007 07:42:11 pm    Post subject:

In the 13 ghosts thread (use the search engine), there were instructions on TiEmu, a free emulator that requires no ROM. You can use that to test.
AaroneusTheGreat

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Jun 2007 03:12:08 pm    Post subject:

I did some more neato graphics stuff, including wall switches (i'm not sure what i'll use them for just yet, although one is already accounted for for the exit button thing from the real game) destructable computers!, keys!, and new doors. Here's the screenshot

[attachment=1735:attachment]

Last edited by Guest on 15 Jun 2007 03:13:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
werewolf1492

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 15 Jun 2007 03:20:23 pm    Post subject:

:biggrin: Sick, im going to have to see if i cant find that now. This game looks beyond awesome, an idea for door switches might be a button in a hole in the wall(perhaps covered with a bit of fake wall for more of a challenge, and i dont know if the original has it but, for a twist, you could have some sort of x-ray vision(to find hidden things like the switches i suggested) and maybe you could have a dark room and use night vision
just a thought i was having^

EDIT
hmm, mental note to check screen shots first, (i didnt realize you already had concept switches thought up) change it up with the different levels(if a levels more creepy and run down then use the huge tong switches, if its new with hitec stuff then use something futuristic

Last edited by Guest on 15 Jun 2007 03:22:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
AaroneusTheGreat

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Jun 2007 03:39:30 pm    Post subject:

i like the night vision, i used something like that for Thirteen Ghosts, it's really only a depth data altering routine, it changes the depth from close to slightly darker, medium far to medium dark, and the far data to black. SO i'd have to set the background to black in order to make it look really dark. good idea though, i'll definatley use that in a level or two. i'ts a simple code snippet.

Also i thought of adding dark areas in the map, so that when you walk into a room, the room is dark. that could be cool. i'd have to figure something out to make it look like the lights didnt just turn off, or i could just leave it like that, to make it look like the lights just went out in the room you're in.

Also good ideas for the different types of switches. i think in areas where the walls are rock, i'll have the tong switches, and for areas where the walls are futuristic looking, i'll have the nifty wall buttons. The slider switch with the two indicators is going to be the level end switch. i like that switch and think it should be used for something important.

as for the button hole, the walls are actually flat, so are the sprites. so everything that looks three-d is actually just drawn isometrically. (look it up on wikipedia if you dont know that term, it just means drawn to have the illusion of depth.) so the button holes would have to be drawn isometrically also, which would require a bit of photoshopping. not a bad idea, just not worth the space it would take in the graphics files. (i'm constantly having to think around that)

good input tho Smile
werewolf1492

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 15 Jun 2007 04:02:59 pm    Post subject:

Ya, the space thing is always an issue, i think im going to try and learn to program computers(LOTS more space)
wow, its amazing to think that i actually contributed something that was helpful for a change, the future switch with the indicators did stand out above the others, out of all the switches, that was the only one i expected to do anything, oh oh oh, know what would be cool? (and not to mention, more than likely considerably easy) as a weapon? PROXIMITY MINES(as a backup when your low on ammo or facing off on a mass attack and trying to escape) it would just be something like:
If monster=(spot where mine is) or monster<(farthest extent of mine range)
then (the monsters reduced to smithereens :biggrin: and mine=no more Sad )
wow, sorry, i need to stop
headache, too many ideas...ouch
AaroneusTheGreat

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Jun 2007 09:52:29 pm    Post subject:

haha aside from the spastic spew of ideas that sounds really cool actually, and really wouldnt be too difficult to pull off, assuming i can rig up a system of planting the mines. and yes the proximity calculations would be very easy. it actually goes something like this:

<<abs = absolute value if you didnt guess already>>

if (abs(sprite_x-mine_x) < 32 && abs(sprite_y-mine_y) < 32)
<<blow up code goes here.>>

because the fat engines tiles are based on 64 (bytes?) block tiles, so 32 is half of one tile. or about the area where the actual sprite image is (in the middle of it's assigned tile) so if you wanted to you could do something like change the 32 to a 96 which would be a tile and a half of active area around the central image. eg a tile and a half blast radius.

facinating stuff.

i'd suggest learning C and programming on a 68k if you're just looking to play around and make games.

if you really want to learn a language you can make a doom like or (this is big a stretch) halo like game you should learn C++ it's a super powerful computer language. good to know.

and if you dont do too well with keeping up with brackets, learn VB.NET although making a good game is definately a challenge (trust me i made a galaga for VB.NET for my comp sci ap class once)

just stuff to think about i guess.

hey if you want a laugh, try and look at the feet of the little characters as they explode, i used a generic meat spray from the doom game, and the feet are the feet of an imp, no matter who dies. check and see if you can see it. its not something you can see unless you know it's there. Very Happy Razz

Last edited by Guest on 15 Jun 2007 09:55:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
AaroneusTheGreat

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Jun 2007 12:34:50 am    Post subject:

I finally got the external level file system working without any flaws, so that's good. Also changed the door creation code to set the textures on the sides of the doors to the texture of it's adjascent tile, so i dont have to do that manually, makes my life easier. I fixed up my tilestudio stuff to create the map data for me, all i have to do is draw my map in the tile editor which is so cool because i can see how the map will look from the top, instead of a million numbers. Razz

Good stuff, i'll be posting a demo as soon as i can get the tile studio to process my special map values the right way and then i can start on the real fun stuff! :)

Oh, the enemies have specific healths now. the cyborg is ridiculous, so he wont be showing up much, he's kind of going to be a level-boss. so that's a little more interesting now. Here's a screenshot, in the second level you'll see a graphics glitch with a door, that's just because put a door in the wrong place by accident. lol
i dont feel like changing that right now, minor thing.

you may notice that the level switching is nearly instant. in 13ghosts, it had to do so much unnessisary loading that it slowed it down. this game is extremely streamlined so far. :biggrin:

[attachment=1740:attachment]

Last edited by Guest on 17 Jun 2007 12:45:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Jun 2007 09:31:49 am    Post subject:

*cries because he still doesn't have an 89*

Oh well, I guess TiEmu will have to do. Nice job! Razz
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 7 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement