This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Xphoenix

Elite

Posted: 09 Jun 2007 08:08:00 pm    Post subject:

Yes, they are "monters".

I can't comment too much, I've never played Doom, but compared to your hand, those monsters are...
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 09 Jun 2007 08:10:36 pm    Post subject:

Xphoenix wrote:
Yes, they are "monters".
[post="107369"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Typo :blush: The weird thing is that I don't notice I have made one until somebody points it out to me. Arabic is much easier Razz
Xphoenix

Elite

Posted: 09 Jun 2007 09:24:48 pm    Post subject:

Nah, just switch to Firefox and enable the thing where it draws a red squiggly line underneath all unrecognized words.
AaroneusTheGreat

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Jun 2007 10:21:12 pm    Post subject:

well actually the screenshot isnt very accurate - to respond to baorder54's comment, it skips too many frames and i cant seem to change that without the gif running super slow. actually, you see the muzzle flash every time you shoot the gun on the emulator and on a real calc. The sprites look too big to me also, i think i will end up changing that but that isnt really on the top of the to do list right now. i agree they look a bit funky.

In response to Delnar's comment, the shotgun does move a little fast. i'll see if i cant change the delay a bit. all the animations for the guns are in one function so it might take a little tweaking. i have to make sure the muzzle flashes exactly when you shoot, and then have the whole thing slow a little. i'm not sure how that's going to work, because there's really only four frames to the entire animation.

i might just make it pause on the cocking gesture for a split second so it looks like he's reloading the chambers. that would be a simple and hopefully natural looking fix. i'll see how it goes.

the real game has this long reload thing for the shotgun, it's ridiculous how many frames it has, i think it's 11 total. so if you figure 96*96 pixels times two (two gray planes) then times 11 that equals 202,752 bits, or 50,688 bytes. ridiculous, there'd be way too much in just one graphics file. there's already three.

(there's only two for the railgun, but you dont really notice unless you know that. sorry to spoil anything, but that's how it is in the real game also.)

i'm having to work around quite a few limitations due to the engine it's self, so bear with me.

but thanks for the input most definately, i want this to be as accurate as possible.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Jun 2007 10:22:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Jun 2007 10:29:28 pm    Post subject:

You're doing really well so far. Smile

Last edited by Guest on 09 Jun 2007 10:29:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
AaroneusTheGreat

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Jun 2007 10:50:07 pm    Post subject:

thanks. :)

i changed the human looking guys so that they are smaller. i think this is a good size. the barrels look a little big, but that's how they are in the game.

here's the screenshot.

[attachment=1694:attachment]

it may run too fast or too slow depending on your internet browser.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Jun 2007 11:39:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 10 Jun 2007 11:32:24 am    Post subject:

Noticed a bug in the screenshot: when your health decreases from 100 to 99 or 10 to 9, the zero at the end stays, so decreasing from 100 to 99 displays "990" instead of "99"
AaroneusTheGreat

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Jun 2007 12:05:14 pm    Post subject:

yes i've been trying to fix that. i'm not sure how i could get the text writing function to right allign, so that it will automatically remove the extra zero. i dont know if that would fix it either, it could leave a 1 to the right of the 99.

i'm working on it. lol i hope i dont have to do something as hack-ish as what i did with 13ghosts, i had the program paste the display sprite for the logo over the side display every five frames, then write the game info to the screen. bad programming but it worked.

thanks for the tip though.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Jun 2007 12:38:46 pm    Post subject:

To right-align a number, compute the number of digits with [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]1+int(log(N)) and subtract from the rightmost position. Either way, you'd have to output a space to cover up the unused number, which should be made easier when it's left-aligned.

Last edited by Guest on 10 Jun 2007 12:45:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
AaroneusTheGreat

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Jun 2007 01:29:02 pm    Post subject:

i fixed it with some strategically placed spaces.
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 10 Jun 2007 01:34:46 pm    Post subject:

Here is something that would make it funny... instead of changing the size of the monsters, just claim you are a midget trying to escape from the monsters... XD
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 10 Jun 2007 09:23:12 pm    Post subject:

Greeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat idea.

That could be the little twist he wanted to add to the game so it isn't just a clone. Smile
AaroneusTheGreat

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Jun 2007 09:38:39 pm    Post subject:

haha no. i think the midget thing might offend some... but i already changed the heights of the human looking sprites, and that took enough time, so i dont think i'm going to change them back. and the big cyborg thing is really huge in the real game so i think i'm going to leave him like he is.

I've been having a problem though, i want the maps for Doom to be stored in a(n) external file, to save ram. does anyone know how this can be done? i'm looking for a way to convert a text file with multiple char arrays in it to an 89y or 92y variable. it doesnt matter which, they will work on any 68k calc because of the client program.

Any help would be fan-friggin-tastic. :)

I added weapon kickback today (when you shoot, the weapon kicks depending on it's strength) and items. the items are things like medkits, small medkits, ammo boxes and shotgun shells. all of the above work.

I'm thinking of adding armor to the game. idk how that's going to work. i'd have to do some distance calculation and have the enemies deplete the health or the armor based on where they are shooting from. idk yet.

Also when you shoot one of the barrels and you are too close, it throws you back and you lose health. ( i thought that was a nifty feature) I'm going to apply the same type of thing to the enemies, so you can shoot a barrel close to an enemy and have the enemy get hurt by it. so far all the barrels do is hurt you. lol not very helpful.

Last edited by Guest on 10 Jun 2007 10:30:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
AaroneusTheGreat

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Jun 2007 03:05:17 pm    Post subject:

I added the Imps! Smile
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 11 Jun 2007 06:02:56 pm    Post subject:

That's good news! I was afraid the TI Community would not have it's own good Doom 95ish game
AaroneusTheGreat

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Jun 2007 10:31:22 pm    Post subject:

good is a relative term. this might end up a little hack-ish concerning the maps if i cant get this dang external file system set up.

Otherwise i'm glad some people appreciate the game so far, having not even played it! lol i'll post a demo soon. or now if i get fed up with what i'm doing right now.

who wants to play a demo that has one level and only couple of basic game functions. show of hands? Smile if you all really want to see for yourself what it's like i'll post what i have so far. if not i'll post the demo when i get the external map file stuff working.
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 11 Jun 2007 10:32:37 pm    Post subject:

Are you planning to add weapons not included in the original Doom series? Like a flamethrower?

To answer your question: TiEmu's not behaving very well nowadays for me.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Jun 2007 10:33:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
AaroneusTheGreat

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Jun 2007 10:54:36 pm    Post subject:

well a flamethrower would have to face up to some serious limitations of the fat engine, for instance, if i were to have an animated fireburst, i could either do it in a series of sprites that move from the camera foreward, which would take a ridiculous amount of computing speed, or i could do a series of animated huds,

(a HUD is like the pistol or shotgun image on the screen, pasted above the fat-rendered scene, in case you didnt know) Each hud has a light data, a dark data and a mask data block, each is 96*96 pixels so one complete hud is about 6,912 bytes wide. so for something like the shotgun which has four frames, the whole animation takes up something like 27648 bytes (uncompressed) so, to make an animation that looks like fire and moves like fire, i'd be facing some serious memory issues.

I think a rocket launcher or a plasma rifle or something of that sort would be more reasonable, alas doom already has those weapons. so those might end up in the game depending on their playability and value apposed to their memory and computing power usage.

I am going to add things like the switches in 13ghosts to open certain bay doors and things, and most definately i am going to add the keys.

i dont think it would be doom without needing a blue key or a red key, and getting that annoying message.

I wish i could find the raw data for those nifty doors though, the ones i have right now were originally ripped from quake II Smile

Good thoughts though, i'm definately looking for input.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 11 Jun 2007 11:00:46 pm    Post subject:

Does the fat ngine allow you to make doors that open up vertically? Not a super big deal, and I will search for the door pics. Smile
AaroneusTheGreat

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Jun 2007 11:07:22 pm    Post subject:

Aha! i found a WAD file editor, now i can hack the doom gamefiles! woot woot. i can get all the textures! Smile another milestone in doom89's history.

actually it's supposed to but i cant seem to get that to work and i know how to do it! that's the thing that bugs me the most. perhaps i have an old version of the fatlib. i'll check that out and get back to you, because all the doom doors open vertically so i want that to happen. The same code for opening the doors should work if the doors open vertically. i think they'd open from top down instead of from floor up but thats just a minor thing. i really think that would be cool though.
thanks for reminding me, i'll get on that right away.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Jun 2007 11:09:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 7 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement