This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Noob88

Posted: 22 May 2007 07:43:42 pm    Post subject:

-sigh- I just fixed my last problem with my computer and another one arises, this one not quite so serious. My computer is actually functioning normally now... The problem is my internet connection. When I go to
>My Network Places
>>View Network Connections
>>>Local Area Connection

I find that my connection speed has been reduced miraculously from 100 Mbps to 10 Mbps. Anyone know how I could change this? There is two other computers on my network at home, and both of them are still running at normal speed, mine is the only one acting abnormally.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 22 May 2007 08:35:36 pm    Post subject:

Who cares? You're never going to hit 10 anyway.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 22 May 2007 10:31:17 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, Just set it for Auto and it will go as fast as it can.

This is accomplished by going to the NIC properties in Device Manager. From there, Advanced Tab, then typically Media Type.

Some NICs have it and others do not even have this setting.

My NIC doesn't even have an option to manually set a speed. Mine has Jumbo Frames, Optimize, VLAN, Wake on Lan, Low Power State Link Speed, Flow Control...

It is important to match the other end. I.e. if the other end is auto, auto is the best setting. Hell at work it is common to set the speed on network switches. I.e. if I set the speed on a port and the speed on another port on another switch, they have to match. I don't think it is nearly as critical with computers.

Also make certain you have CAT 5 or CAT 6. CAT 3 cable will need to be upgraded. You can tell by looking. There should be all 8 wires not just 4 of the 8.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 May 2007 06:18:20 am    Post subject:

Make sure you used a 100Mbps cable with 100Mbps interfaces.

100Mbps is easily and frequently used fully. Any network transfer larger than 12,5MB will fill all available bandwidth completely for at least a second.
Noob88

Posted: 23 May 2007 10:10:18 am    Post subject:

My computer CAN run at 100Mbps and has been for as long as I can remember but recently it dropped to 10 and I can't figure out why. It has basically killed all programs I have that use the internet because of how slow they run now.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 May 2007 10:19:28 am    Post subject:

Your lan connection shouldn't affect the speed at which programs run. Their connection speed may be reduced in the worst case scenario, but you still got 1.2MBps going which is more than enough for internets.
Noob88

Posted: 26 May 2007 08:34:57 am    Post subject:

I can't seem to understand what you guys are saying to me... I go to
>My Network Places
>>View Network Connections
>>>Local Area Connection
And it says I'm running at 10Mbps. Then I try to open one of my games or something such as Battlefield 2 or Warcraft, and I time out when trying to connect to the servers. This never happened to me before because when I went to Local Area Connection previously, it said that my speed was 100Mbps. How do I make it say 100Mbps again?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 May 2007 09:38:53 am    Post subject:

Your software and network should still be configured correctly, right? I mean, you didn't change anything about that like reinstall or restart?

The only remaining possiblity is the cable being damaged.

Try another cable to confirm this.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 26 May 2007 01:30:01 pm    Post subject:

Some horrible spyware/virus? Either that or things aren't configured correctly or driver problems, or something like that.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 May 2007 06:13:47 pm    Post subject:

Yeah it could have something to do with the computer.
Noob88

Posted: 26 May 2007 06:16:09 pm    Post subject:

Stupid me Rolling Eyes My cable was all twisted and bent, I replaced it and everything is working normally again.

Once again: Thanks Arcane Wizard :biggrin:
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 28 May 2007 04:55:33 am    Post subject:

Wow, I am truly impressed that it was the cable. I have seen long runs over 300 feet, through walls, in wiring closetswith patch panels and network drops on the wall making for 4 connection points.

Switch, patch panel, wall port, computer port. All without any problem even with Gigabit. That cable must have been truly mangled and partially broken.

I was going to suggest deleting the Network Interface Card in Device Manager to get it removed from Network Connections, the Registry, and to Unbind All Protocols on it. Then I was going to suggest a re-scan to automatically re-detect and re-install the driver with its default settings, protocols, and options.

-NETWiz

I am glad you got it working.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 May 2007 06:31:11 am    Post subject:

The cable I have running from the modemrouter to my router on the first floor (second floor for americans) was completely gnawed through by a guinea pig but TCP still worked if you pressed the two pieces together. TCP seems really robust.
Taricorp

Posted: 28 May 2007 09:39:42 am    Post subject:

Hardly; you probably just got lucky that the connections are accurate when you pressed the bits together. Robustness of a protocol has hardly anything to do with the cable it's going over.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 May 2007 11:16:28 am    Post subject:

Handling of packet loss does though. UDP doesn't get through.

You see similar things with crappy wifi signals.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 May 2007 11:39:07 pm    Post subject:

I have seen situations where TCP doesn't get through and neither does UDP. Heck, IP doesn't get through.

Funny thing is there is no logicalreason in some of the cases I have seen.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement