This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 22 May 2007 07:34:33 pm    Post subject:

Ahh. I see it does something with the app restrictions, so I'm guessing it disables TestGuard2 from locking apps by messing w/ the bcall that does that? If that's right, I'd much rather use my app, which actually blocks both versions of TestGuard and blocks against deletes and locks, rather than mess around writing in rom and only block a subset of those actions. Still, it's an interesting program.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 May 2007 08:00:20 pm    Post subject:

magicdanw wrote:
Ahh.  I see it does something with the app restrictions, so I'm guessing it disables TestGuard2 from locking apps by messing w/ the bcall that does that?  If that's right, I'd much rather use my app, which actually blocks both versions of TestGuard and blocks against deletes and locks, rather than mess around writing in rom and only block a subset of those actions.  Still, it's an interesting program.
[post="105076"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes. There are lots of ways to kill it, like using an OFFSCRPT variable, this, inserting a USB connector into the port, or that.
WikiGuru
ADOS (Attention deficit... Oh! Shiny!)

Elite

Posted: 22 May 2007 08:04:03 pm    Post subject:

Why not just delete Testguard?
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 May 2007 08:06:38 pm    Post subject:

[quote name='Ti-Ho' date='May 22 2007, 09:04 PM']Why not just delete Testguard?
[post="105083"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/quote]

Testguard silent links a program to your calculator through the link port and remotely executes it, which deletes all your variables. On OS 2.40+, they changed the silent link handler to respond to a special link packet which will call SetAppRestrictions and disable your programs and applications. It doesn't matter what's on your calculator, the teacher's calculator links to yours and does its magic.

The best way to deal with that is fake that communication, like above.
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 22 May 2007 08:06:48 pm    Post subject:

Right. I'm just saying, a full app to block TestGuard is better (in my opinion) than just doing something to disable the app restrictions, because what if:

1)You don't have an 84?
2)You want to hold onto a program, not an app?
3)Your teacher doesn't have TestGuard 2?
4)Your teacher is sadistic or doesn't know how to block apps, so he/she deletes them?
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 May 2007 08:12:39 pm    Post subject:

magicdanw wrote:
Right.  I'm just saying, a full app to block TestGuard is better (in my opinion) than just doing something to disable the app restrictions, because what if:

1)You don't have an 84?
2)You want to hold onto a program, not an app?
3)Your teacher doesn't have TestGuard 2?
4)Your teacher is sadistic or doesn't know how to block apps, so he/she deletes them?
[post="105086"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

1) If you don't have an 84+ with OS 2.40+, Testguard1/2 defaults to just deleting your stuff, in which case you can use this.
2) SetAppRestrictions affects programs as well, also see 1.
3) If the teacher doesn't have Testguard2, then you use fake memory clear programs.
4) See 3.
WikiGuru

Elite

Posted: 22 May 2007 08:14:21 pm    Post subject:

Ohh, I didn't know what TestGaurd was. That's a big waste of time. Why would any teacher bother to go through all that trouble just to prevent you from using your calculator?
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 May 2007 08:16:41 pm    Post subject:

[quote name='Ti-Ho' date='May 22 2007, 09:14 PM']Ohh, I didn't know what TestGaurd was. That's a big waste of time. Why would any teacher bother to go through all that trouble just to prevent you from using your calculator?
[post="105090"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/quote]

It's to prevent you from cheating on tests (by running Symbolic/PrettyPt, looking at typed notes, whatever), which is a real problem in some places.
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 22 May 2007 08:23:58 pm    Post subject:

All right. Although you're tg2.zip thing says it still clears ram, but I guess as long as archive is intact it's ok. Anyway, this discussion has strayed far from it's original point, but I think that's pretty much been resolved. Thanks all for your help!
WikiGuru

Elite

Posted: 22 May 2007 08:43:32 pm    Post subject:

brandonw wrote:
[quote name='Ti-Ho' date='May 22 2007, 09:14 PM']Ohh, I didn't know what TestGaurd was. That's a big waste of time. Why would any teacher bother to go through all that trouble just to prevent you from using your calculator?
[post="105090"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's to prevent you from cheating on tests (by running Symbolic/PrettyPt, looking at typed notes, whatever), which is a real problem in some places.
[post="105091"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
[/quote]
Then write non-calc tests.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 22 May 2007 10:05:36 pm    Post subject:

Or hope that most of the students have some integrity like mine do. At least three or four people in my class have those apps and don't use them on tests, its that simple.
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 22 May 2007 10:15:16 pm    Post subject:

I know what you're talking about. Every so often, I get some idea for a program (like this anti-testguard thingy) that could be used for malicious purposes, and I write the program, but not to cheat. I mostly do it because, since it's not supposed to be done, it's more difficult to do, and you have to be a bit more creative in doing it. Once I'm done, I usually forget about the program. Besides, nobody needs this program in my math class because my teacher only cleared the calculators once at the beginning of the year (she's realized that it detracts from the test-taking time, and now she just trusts the students Smile ). Plus, it's an honors class, so *theoretically* the kids in it actually want to learn, not just graduate.

Last edited by Guest on 22 May 2007 10:16:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
jfabi82

Posted: 22 May 2007 10:36:48 pm    Post subject:

...Hmm, this is all getting a bit offtopic, not that I really care.

Well, I almost always program programs for various things in my my geometry class, you know, just to make things "easier" later (in fact, I have a test on TRANSFORMATIONS tomorrow). But you know what, I know all the stuff, and usually figure it all out on my, sometimes going to the prgm on tests to check my work. Of course, there are some that would use this sort of stuff to get it done "the easy way out." Oh, and btw, I'm in an Honors class, too, at my MS (yes, MS, I said), so we all " *theoretically* want to learn, not just graduate."

Also, if anyone who finds this topic is STILL clueless about Testguard, goto TI's page about it here. I mean, it really is of no use since all you need to disable it USB mini to USB mini cord which you cold easily get off the Black Market.

Oh, and something about "prgms for malicious purposes," Smile ?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement