This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 09 Oct 2003 04:32:34 am    Post subject:

Recently a good friend of mine (he was also a co-worker) passed away. We spent about 40 hours a week working together, and often some additional time outside of working.

As such I'm suspending the work on all my "projects" that I have been working on, and will now take a few days maybe weeks to evaluate what the real value of life is.

Feel free to discuss your thoughts on the matter here, I will check up on this thread. Also please read over the article I posted on my website regarding my friend.

http://aliencc.com/index.cgi?burn=Thoughts

--AlienCC
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 Oct 2003 03:49:02 pm    Post subject:

What sucks even worse is that murderers and bad peole are the ones that live longer. In essence, life is not fair, and we will all die leavig little or no trace we were ever here.
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 09 Oct 2003 05:11:59 pm    Post subject:

You should read some H.P. Lovecraft books. That's ALL they're about. It's really quite horrifying.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 10 Oct 2003 12:53:25 am    Post subject:

I am too busy to read novels.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 10 Oct 2003 02:19:39 am    Post subject:

Some thoughts on the value of life:

No pricetag can be placed on it.
You don't realize how you truly feel about someone until they are gone.
Questioning if your own life is good enough arise.

Anyone else have anything to add?
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 10 Oct 2003 04:43:08 am    Post subject:

AlienCC may i offer my condolences(sp?) it is truely tragic when you lose a friend/loved-one.

Try not to dwell on the meaning of life etc too much, because from what i can decipher there is no 'real' meaning for life. We just exist and stuff happens that we dont have any control over. It really can suck sometimes.

Try not to feel only sadness about your friend being gone. Rather remember the good times you shared, the happiness between you. Remember jokes he told you/you told him. Times you slacked off/or got in trouble at work .... you know the fun stuff Very Happy. Celebrate his life .... dont dwell over his death.

Although he may have been taken away, the one thing that cant be taken are the happy memories and moments in which you shared. Share them with the people that you know. If you keep these memories alive he can live on through 'you'.

Dont fall into a void of sadness, be happy and cherrish those fond memories. Im sure he would prefer it like that Smile.
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 10 Oct 2003 05:25:52 pm    Post subject:

i personaly, have never lost a close person to me, and i don't want to say i know what you are going through. but one thing i disagree with is:

Quote:
What sucks even worse is that murderers and bad peo(p)le are the ones that live longer. In essence, life is not fair, and we will all die leavi(n)g little or no trace we were ever here.
(2)

I have to say life is worth living for, and living it right. If you do live life you will leave a trace. But what kind of trace do you want to leave? A close friend when leaving high school, one of the meanest kids (1) there cam up to him and said, "you know, i could really tell you are a christian, and the is really cool." He is one of those kids who would beat up smaller kid, and one who was not one who you would think of saying that. though he didn't die, i believe that to this day, he will always remember my friend. So he does leave a trace behind, though it might be to just one person, it is greater than anything bill gates or what not could ever invent.

(p) edited, there was no "p"
(n) edited, there was no "n"
(1) i don't know for really, more like a punk i think, anyways
(2) sorry i was boredish(3)
(3) i just invented the word boredish

Quote:
Questioning if your own life is good enough arise.

it matters how you live. For me and millions of others it is being christians. I will leave an impression on this earth. You should be asking what you will do to leave a mark. If you say "try" or "wish", you will never accomplish the mark you set out for.
Anyones life is good enough. You can do nothing to stop the people who love you from loving you. You are worth every second you are alive.
"we are not living how we were ment to."-Pillar (the Band)
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 10 Oct 2003 09:36:07 pm    Post subject:

That's some pretty deep stuff man. I still think JBirk should read some H.P. Lovecraft though. It's right up his ally Wink
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 11 Oct 2003 12:57:06 am    Post subject:

My condolences, AlienCC. As for your thoughts, I really don't know what to tell you. I myself am LDS, or a Mormon. I don't know what all of you have heard about us, but allow me to relate some things that I know.

We're here on this life for a purpose. I will not go into detail on this for chance of sparking a religious debate, but we are here for a purpose. What we do with our life here basically decides what happens after we die. So choose wisely what you do while you're here.

To add to Jbirk's post about murderers and bad people living longer, here's something I have to add. (This is my view on things, so I am responsible.) Good people don't live as long as bad people because God probably doesn't deem it necessary. Good people have done what needs be done, and God decided it is their time to go. Bad people live longer to give them a chance to change their ways. Once again, that's my view.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 14 Oct 2003 03:18:28 am    Post subject:

Thank you everyone for your support and understanding. The journey of self discovery has been enlightening.

I want to make some modifications to things I posted earlier...
*No pricetag can be placed on life. (no two people are the same, and no amount of money could ever replace any one for who they are)
*You don't realize how you truly feel about someone until they are gone. (If you've never had someone close to you die you won't understand how true this really is)
*Questioning if your own life is good enough arises. (These questions come out of a pure desire to become a better person, everyone has this desire, but many ignore it)

Finally, work will resume on my projects once I take care of a few things.

--AlienCC
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 14 Oct 2003 08:09:50 am    Post subject:

times like these can be very depressing, but we do need to continue to live. :'(
We need not dwell on death and forget to live! Neutral
i fully agree with both JesusFreak and Jeremiah Walgren.
i WILL leave a mark (if i haven't already left one) Smile
i will not TRY or WISH, but WILL.
BTW: lovely poem AlienCC. Laughing
aloha

Posted: 11 Nov 2003 02:29:14 pm    Post subject:

yeah i know how you feel (i forgot your name, but if it helps you were the one who opened this topic!) i had one of my best friends die because of a car accident!!!! Sad this guy was driving and he was really drunk and you can tell that he was too! but yeah he got into the accident with four kids in the back and he eventually survived. gosh i hate that guy! its really hard to face it. and he died when i was a child so you know its hard because nowadays children dont know what to think or say about it!
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Nov 2003 03:48:34 pm    Post subject:

I think the only measure of how good your life was is if you are happy with it (you may still want it and yourself to be better). If your friend was happy with his life, then you should not feel sad for him.
Kozak

Posted: 17 Nov 2003 09:47:53 am    Post subject:

Weird that I registered an account on this site just to reply on this topic.
Maybe it's because I am dealing with that question in my head everyday.

The goal of life? None.
The value of life? Enjoying life.

To get answers to these questions we need to know why there is life?
Life is chemistry. Because of all the forces that pull certain atoms together. Lipids are bound to form 'bubbles' in water, thus a cell was bourn. Complex life arrived when DNA was formed. This allowed for more complex forms of cell managment.
Because of cloning, life still exists today. So we humans with our so called 'rational' thinking are nothing more then an invention of our genes. The evolution of complex intelligence gave humans an advantage over other species and so we were able to survive and so pass our genes on to the next generation.
Something can only have a goal when it's made for a certain purpose. Life only exists because we can reproduce and give our DNA/life on to the next generation. So you can more or less say that the goal of life is reproduction. Why do you think we enjoy sex? Because our genes want us to think that so we do it alot, and produce alot of offspring so that the genome is successfull. But back on topic. Since life originated from total randomness, it wasn't given a certain goal.

Enjoying life, that might be the value. Since we weren't created with a goal, we cannot get value from completing that certain goal. How do we measure pleasure? With our brains! Feeling good, is nice. So to make your life on the earth as bearable as possible just enjoy it. Do the things you want to enjoy.

I hope that your friend enjoyed his life, so he can look back on a happy life.
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 17 Nov 2003 12:18:10 pm    Post subject:

I am a son of God, in the similitude of his Only Begotten. Who are you? I was not some random creation of genes, coming into existance without a purpose. I was created by God with a purpose in life that I have not yet fully realized.

With an attitude like yours, I'm amazed people wonder why the world's going to hell...

Last edited by Guest on 17 Nov 2003 12:18:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Matt

Posted: 17 Nov 2003 04:23:22 pm    Post subject:

Well . . .I guess you could say I'm with Jeremiah Walgren. But GOD put us on earth for a reason a purpose! Mabey you should go out and read a purpose driven life! Cause there are two things we can't do in heaven:
You cant share the gospel and
you cant do something else that I forgot (but I will update it when I find out)

So our purpose in life is to please GOD and not go off and reproduce!
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 17 Nov 2003 11:16:20 pm    Post subject:

Well, I think you can kind of combine those two. I don't think it's like you can't reproduce and you have to please God your whole life, but more like you please God with what you do and have a family while you're at hit. (Families are very important in my view.)
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 18 Nov 2003 04:14:18 am    Post subject:

Aliens like family...a few reasons:

When in trouble you can always fall back on Family.
Nobody cares about you like Family.
When all the cool stuff happens....Family is there.
and the list goes on...

It takes a lot of work for a successful Family, but its worth it because while Friends are good, Family is better.

--AlienCC
NextPerception

Posted: 18 Nov 2003 06:28:40 pm    Post subject:

You come to this earth and you will leave this earth. yet what really matters is what you do in between. Your life has no meaning until you give it a purpose because without purpose there is no meaning. The purpose is needed for the meaning and the meaning is neaded for anything to make sense so if you wonder what the meaning of life is you must first ask yourself what meaning shall my life have. First Purpose, then meaning, then it will all make sense. No one can tell you what your purpose is because you have to deside what purpose you shall fulfill before you can do anything meaningful. everything can only have a meaning when their purpose is known.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Nov 2003 07:00:24 pm    Post subject:

There are people that live for God's purpose and there are people who live for the sake of living. There are happy and sad people of both kinds, and no one to tell if either or both will regret it after they die. Each person must make this decision for yourself. However it is stupid to start believing in God because you do not want to go to hell in case God exists. The only rason to start to believe in God is if you really believe in Him.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement