This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2007 11:12:17 am    Post subject:

I realize this may not be the best place to post this, but I have been attempting to register with iPodWizard forums for the past couple months.

My iPod died!!!! I mean, really died! I was modding it with iPodWizard, when it suddenly turned to the WSOD!!! It will not respond to computer or power connections, nor any resets. I have tried to get it into Diskmode, and even diagnostic mode, but no luck.

After perusing the Wizard forums, there were several cases such as mine. People suggested manual resets (which obviously don't work). After a long and hard brainstorming time about it, I have decided to take my iPod back to Circuit City (or something) to get it fixed. My warranty is still in effect, (June-ish 2006). Now, the Wizard says using it nullifies the warranty, but there have been several cases similar to mine in which the victim returned it to Apple and got a new iPod. After all, who could tell it was modded if it won't do anything?

What do you guys think I should do? Exchange it for a new one, crack it open, or do you guys have a solution?
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 12 May 2007 11:17:53 am    Post subject:

Exchange it is my opinion. Cracking it open will void the warranty, so don't. I don't have an Ipod so I don't know the troubleshooting tips, but I'm sure there is a few lying around the net somewhere.
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 12 May 2007 11:18:38 am    Post subject:

Definitly go back to the place you purchased it from, and ask for a refund, or an exchange(Btw, this only works if you didn't leave any marks from your modding Wink )

[Edit] Luby beat me Razz

Last edited by Guest on 12 May 2007 11:19:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2007 11:32:17 am    Post subject:

Well, there would be marks if it worked even slightly. X_X

I don't suppose giving it a brushed metal back (scratching it up with a Brillo pad) counts as modding.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 12 May 2007 12:57:46 pm    Post subject:

Actually, that might make a difference, if it looks like it has been bashed around too much. They wouldn't replace it if it was run over by a car. You know what I mean? Kinda like water damage on a phone.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2007 01:11:32 pm    Post subject:

Well yeah. But I mean, its all uniform, it doesn't look like it's had the crap beaten out of it.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 12 May 2007 01:18:01 pm    Post subject:

Well then its not even really a modification, basically the same thing as putting a sticker on it. Go replace it, make sure you got your receit though.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2007 01:54:57 pm    Post subject:

Yeah...I have no idea when I'll be able to go, though, so I have to live without my iPod for a while...Sad
rivereye

Posted: 12 May 2007 07:00:42 pm    Post subject:

actually, if you live near an Apple Store, that is the best place to go to (they might even be able to get it to work for you also without needing to replace it).
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2007 07:59:36 pm    Post subject:

That's the biggest problem. I'm afraid I'll be nailed with not-so-hidden fees if I mail it in, and the closest 2 authorized Apple resellers are Circuit City and Target.
nitacku

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 May 2007 09:06:47 pm    Post subject:

I once killed my 84+SE when I broke it open to try to connect an external power source.
My warranty was still in effect, so I sent it in to TI and they mailed me a new one! :D

If Apple values its customers as much as TI does, they will replace it for free.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2007 09:08:50 pm    Post subject:

I hope so.

But doesn't cracking open an 84+SE void the warranty?
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 12 May 2007 09:12:17 pm    Post subject:

Harrierfalcon wrote:
I hope so.

[post="103847"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I doubt that was what was written in the letter. :)

HF, your iPod gave out without a good reason, unless the warranty is exprited, you have every reason to receive a brand new one.

Last edited by Guest on 12 May 2007 09:13:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2007 09:17:12 pm    Post subject:

I could use a new one too. This one's center button was getting to the point that you couldn't tell if you hit it or not. ;)

And I suppose I don't have to tell them that I was modding it with iPod Wizard...Laughing
nitacku

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 May 2007 09:36:14 pm    Post subject:

Harrierfalcon wrote:
I hope so.

[post="103847"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Um, nah! Rolling Eyes I guess not in this case!

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 17 May 2007 07:11:57 pm    Post subject:

Chances are the ipod wizard was actually reprogramming the ipod similar to a bios update. I'm not sure apple would know if you were using the tool or not, but even if they found out, what's the worse that could happen? They tell you you tried modding this, so we're not giving you a new one. Oh noes. Anyway good luck at trying to get a new iPod. Who knows apple may not care or notice.

Edit:
Reading on what this program actually does, it was modding your firmware, so it sounds as though that might have been corupted. But if your computer can't recognize it you can't reload the firmware.

Last edited by Guest on 17 May 2007 07:16:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 May 2007 07:14:51 pm    Post subject:

I'm hoping the latter...they just received it today.

*crosses fingers*

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 17 May 2007 07:17:26 pm    Post subject:

BTW hopefully Apple doesn't read this topic. Very Happy
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 May 2007 08:15:17 pm    Post subject:

D'oh...the disadvantage of using a universal username. Whatever. But, my mom purchased the AppleCare extended warranty after I modded my iPod...does that mean that the AppleCare warranty isn't voided? Laughing
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 May 2007 06:20:21 am    Post subject:

Well, apparently I was right...
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement