This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
WikiGuru
ADOS (Attention deficit... Oh! Shiny!)

Elite

Posted: 19 May 2007 03:04:33 pm    Post subject:

hmmm... I have a 1 gb player, and I've managed to fit ~350 songs onto it (~5-10 min songs, too). Of course, the quality is lower, but you can only tell when you turn the volume almost all the way up, which I don't do so I'm fine.
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 19 May 2007 06:37:36 pm    Post subject:

I have a player, I can fit 1 song onto it, it has very low quality, it can only go up to 2.5 minutes, it has a pretty low volume, and it has a weird high-pitched noise, but that is all I need. All hail, TI-83+SE! Very Happy
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 20 May 2007 12:54:42 pm    Post subject:

Delnar_Ersike wrote:
I have a player, I can fit 1 song onto it, it has very low quality, it can only go up to 2.5 minutes, it has a pretty low volume, and it has a weird high-pitched noise, but that is all I need. All hail, TI-83+SE! Very Happy
[post="104630"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Haha! Very Happy

RealSound,I suppose? I would encourage the use of the mt3 player with DoorsCS, even if it can only support midi format songs Laughing

Last edited by Guest on 20 May 2007 12:54:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 20 May 2007 08:17:35 pm    Post subject:

frenchcalc1 wrote:
Delnar_Ersike wrote:
[post="104630"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Haha! Very Happy

RealSound,I suppose? I would encourage the use of the mt3 player with DoorsCS, even if it can only support midi format songs Laughing
[post="104726"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I do use mt3, but nobody has written any good songs for it yet, so I am stuck with RealSound.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 May 2007 07:32:33 pm    Post subject:

Well, anyways, I just got my iPod today and successfully modded it. It looks really freaking cool, and I gave it a red-black theme (also apparent in my clothes, my computer theme, my backpack, my avy...yeah. I love red.) Maybe I'll get a few shots of it when I'm finished studying.
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 21 May 2007 07:34:50 pm    Post subject:

I'm glad it is a happy ending for you!
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 May 2007 07:44:14 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, it is. Actually, I've been bugged constantly how the movie icons are all screwed up color-wise...I mean, if you make the icons red, they turn up some cyan-ish, and if you make them cyan, they turn out purple! :confused:
However, I am thankful I have a working one. And, it wasn't even refurbished or anything, it was brand-new! Kind of cool, actually, because now I get another chance to brand a cooler emblem onto the back of it. Before, it was really hard to see the lightning bolt, but soon...Laughing

Last edited by Guest on 21 May 2007 07:44:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 21 May 2007 07:50:02 pm    Post subject:

Delnar_Ersike wrote:
I do use mt3, but nobody has written any good songs for it yet, so I am stuck with RealSound.
[post="104821"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I was in the same position as you until I realized that I can get some good MIDI songs here:
http://www.geocities.com/mecmidis/ym.htm
The only bad thing though is that you have to convert them again to mt3 assembly Sad

Last edited by Guest on 21 May 2007 07:50:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 21 May 2007 11:23:16 pm    Post subject:

Yeah Kerm needs to fix the bugs in the converter but I heard some one is working on getting Enter Sandman to work.
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 22 May 2007 01:30:28 pm    Post subject:

TheStorm wrote:
Yeah Kerm needs to fix the bugs in the converter but I heard some one is working on getting Enter Sandman to work.
[post="104978"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Really? I didn't hear about that. I do know that Kerm is still working on the midit-to-mt3 converter, though Laughing
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 May 2007 09:32:09 pm    Post subject:

Well, anyways, I have brought hard evidence of the happy ending.

Last edited by Guest on 23 May 2007 09:32:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xphoenix

Elite

Posted: 23 May 2007 09:53:05 pm    Post subject:

Harrierfalcon wrote:
Why would my replacement have 60 GB?  The original was only 30 GB...I only want the newest one because it has a few more subtle features that I like.
[post="104534"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I know, this is late...
I thought they would be lazy and just give you the best model easily available.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 23 May 2007 10:38:50 pm    Post subject:

How did you get the red skin on the ipod? That is pretty cool.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 24 May 2007 02:31:24 am    Post subject:

Harrierfalcon wrote:
Huh.  Well, then there are those of us who find a new song about once every week, if we are lucky.  Ah well, to each his own.

But may I ask, how do you rip CD's into a higher bitrate?  If it's relatively easy, it wouldn't take long to burn my library to a RW, boost the bitrate, and then return the songs to iTunes.
[post="104573"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Personally I find hidden treasures in full albums, so I go for the full album versus the radio promoted songs. Most of the songs I like best over time never get old after many listens and are almost never the songs you hear on the radio.

Cure wrote:
What bitrate do you use ACC?

Harrierfalcon: To rip into a higher bitrate in iTunes, click Edit -> Preferences (or hit Ctrl + ,). Click on the Advanced tab, then click on the Importing sub-tab. Under Setting, click down and choose a custom bitrate.[post="104579"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Typically I use 192kbps as the absolute minimum, which I rip into mp3 format directly from the 1411.2kbps audio cd using CDex.

baorder54 wrote:
@ AlienCC: How many songs do you have then?  Do you have a 60 gb video?  Because I know that when my iPod gets too full, it tends to lag, between menu transitions, the beginning of a song, the scroller gets jittery after selecting a song.  So is yours laggy?[post="104599"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't have an iPod, instead I paid less money a couple years back and bought a 40GB Zen that had more functionality, and longer battery life at that time then any iPods that were on the market. Currently I only load my favorite Artists & their albums, and whatever new Artists/albums I'm listening to, it has about 7GB free remaining on it.

When I find a new artist I like then I tend to collect all of their albums that I can get. A habit which has seldom disappointed with the findings.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 May 2007 06:17:31 am    Post subject:

@Alien:Well, to each his own. I rarely find good songs, even from artists I like (i.e. Demon Hunter, Rammstein). In fact, I find that most songs I listen to are completely random and have no pattern of relation to one another. Take a look at my Favorites playlist:

I mean, some are from the same area, but I seriously listen to a wide variety of music. And just so you know, Romancing Saga - Battle 2 was originally at 8 bps XD.

I usually run into my songs either when I listen to my friends' music, or when I'm playing a game (on any platform -- Boomshine = PC, PD = N64, TWW = GC).

Just for kicks--look at the URL for the picture, and look at the name ImageShack gave it.

@Baorder: That, my friend, is the magic of iPod Wizard with Microsoft Paint.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 May 2007 11:06:17 pm    Post subject:

Apologies for double-posting, but...Alien, would ripping mp3's to a CD, then ripping them back with CDex improve the bit rate any?
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 25 May 2007 01:53:57 am    Post subject:

Harrierfalcon wrote:
Apologies for double-posting, but...Alien, would ripping mp3's to a CD, then ripping them back with CDex improve the bit rate any?
[post="105425"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If anything that would result in even worse quality.

MP3 is a lossy based compression, you lose quality when you convert songs to that format from PCM-WAV (lossless) on an Audio CD.

You will not gain any additional quality by converting from a lossy compression to a lossless based compression. Furthermore you would lose additional quality by converting back to a lossy based compression a 2nd time, even though the bitrate was set higher than on the intial file.

A good visual representation of this can be done by taking a high resolution bmp. In an image editor converting that image to jpg, converting it back to bmp, and back to jpg again. Make sure to save each one under a different file name. After all of that is finished, open them all up in an image editor and zoom in 400% and let your eyes show you the difference in quality. It is the same concept, except with audio instead of images.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 May 2007 06:05:38 am    Post subject:

Ahhh...guess I'm out of luck then. Most of the songs I listen I get in mp3 format. Oh well, thanks anyways.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 28 May 2007 05:06:02 am    Post subject:

I bought a Creative ZEN Vision:M

It is awesome. In my mind it is better than the iPod video.

It uses MTP protocol to transfer music and videos. It has a screen that is more clear, better battery life than the iPod, does not lock me down to the iTunes music store and iTunes. Instead it accepts, mpeg, mpeg2, mpeg 4 video, xvid/divx, mp3, wma, wav, and a few others.

I think it also does H.224 or something like that. I cannot remember which firmware does Ogg Vorbis, but I know it played one for me at some point. Regardless, it navigates easily, has a better screen, is rock solid stable, and sounds awsome.

I think of it like an open source, iPod
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 May 2007 06:50:36 am    Post subject:

NETWiz wrote:
I think of it like an open source, iPod[post="105800"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Don't let Microsoft hear that!

I'm not getting an iPhone due to looks and proprietary crap like every other Apple product, but I'm planning on getting a new phone with 3G UMTS end of this summer so storage space is not an issue as it's a simple matter to stream whatever content I want from my PC at home. I mostly listen to free online radio anyway, and we can't get that on an iPod or Zen, can we?

Currently the 512mb in my phone is more than plenty for mobile storage for me as that easily fills a couple of hours or music and I don't travel that long anyway. Plus I have to take my phone with me anyway to call people, and carrying something else just for music would be silly imho even if the phone didn't do music.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement