This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Website subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. United-TI Top Management => Website
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Apr 2007 03:59:12 pm    Post subject:

Regarding this post, I increased Arcane Wizard's warning level for the following:
Saved warn logs: Arcane Wizard wrote:
Making a worthless post ("...") to show gratuitous contempt as a response to someone who anticipated help.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 28 Apr 2007 12:35:14 am    Post subject:

Arcane was also banned from IRC earlier today for his behavior. IRC Log is attached, please refer mostly to 4:42:15 PM through 5:21:16 PM, and Arcane as user "krisk" if you would like to read the log.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Apr 2007 09:09:24 pm    Post subject:

A series of PM's (was I out of line, and if so, where; I already regret my last line):
Arcane Wizard wrote:
Weregoose wrote:
Arcane Wizard wrote:
Weregoose wrote:
Arcane Wizard wrote:
Weregoose wrote:
Arcane Wizard wrote:
+b is a ban not a kick, just so you know
Well aware. Myself and others have been annoyed at how conceited you've been acting lately, and hope that you can shrink your ego enough to play a positive role in this community.

–Weregoose

I respect you so I'm going to ask you one last time to come up with some detailed and straightforward complaints, accusations, advice or whatever you want to call it rather than general motions of conceitedness, arrogance, and pompousness.

• Quit insulting people—don't ask me to provide examples, as you know you were.
  • Quit using sarcasm to mock people—see above.
  • Quit pushing when someone is already angry at you—that's called survival.
Not everything is a gray subject; once you get on people's nerves, it doesn't get any more black-and-white than that. Cancel your pride and step back if at any given moment someone begins to despise you, as all you're doing otherwise is asking for a fight, whether you mean to or not. Don't be a dick, and learn that silence is a virtue. If you're thinking of counterexamples for this, then that's your downfall. Just apply it to where it's useful. Bottom line is, to get along better with others, you have to adapt to what they expect of you, even if it's only temporary.

–Weregoose
Well as a twatrocket I believe I am better at following others than at taking the initiative, care to give the right example?
I have nothing more to offer that you wouldn't mind disregarding. Excuse me, I have to respond to someone else's PM where I'm willing to help the person.

–Weregoose

Excused, you're just being a dick anyway, and I have threads to help in as well.

Secondly, I encourage any staff member to send him a request that he vent his frustration someplace other than this custom title ("banned for protesting being called a twatrocket") and signature ("Warn: (250%) "). Perhaps encourage him to explain his reasoning regarding whether or not I am in the wrong. The only other courses I can see this taking is: 1) I ask him to edit at least the title, and he refuses, or 2) I delete or replace it, and he puts it back—probably with something worse. Both of these scenarios can't end well on his part, but it is apparent so far that he won't listen to/adhere to any of my actions that aren't "final" and permanent. Suggestions? I don't care how long he's been with us.

Last edited by Guest on 30 Apr 2007 09:28:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 30 Apr 2007 09:51:21 pm    Post subject:

I've sent a PM to Arcane in hopes that he will listen to me:

Quote:
Arcane, please clean up your custom title to not include offensive words. You may want to also review your signature, the only people who can see your warn level are you and staff members, exaggeration does you no favors.

Thanks,
--Jon
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 Apr 2007 10:06:07 pm    Post subject:

Who is Zeromus?

I'm going to suggest that someone other than Weregoose deal with aww. NOT because Weregoose is incapable, but because he and AW have had some friction between them lately. Further interaction will just make him more bitter.

And personally, I find the signature funny but agree that the custom title should be changed.

Last edited by Guest on 30 Apr 2007 10:10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Apr 2007 10:20:23 pm    Post subject:

Zeromus (a.k.a. CDI) is the author of programs like Theta Fourteen and Metroid Pure.

The friction, as I perceive it, is his unwillingness to see or admit err in his
behavior, and he only clashes with me each time I attempt to address it.

Last edited by Guest on 30 Apr 2007 10:26:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Apr 2007 10:21:38 pm    Post subject:

I think Zeromus is Fred Sparks but I don't know what forum handle goes with that. The sig is pretty funny. The custom title; a little over the top.

Last edited by Guest on 30 Apr 2007 10:22:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 01 May 2007 02:20:20 am    Post subject:

I agree that Arcane has thus far not been very respecful of Weregoose by his actions of contempt and non-compliance. That is why I sent him the PM a few hours ago asking him to change the title. Normally I would change the title myself and send a warning but in this particular case I feel that would make things worse, and decided to give him one last opportunity to correct his behavior.

If Arcane doesn't comply with my request, then I sincerely doubt he will respect or comply with any staff members. One thing we don't need is another member who lacks any respect for those of us who are running the site.

Last edited by Guest on 01 May 2007 02:25:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 May 2007 10:18:59 am    Post subject:

IRC wrote:
[07:45:58] * krisk has joined #unitedti
[07:46:36] <krisk> tralalal
[07:46:37] <krisk> lo
[07:49:30] <Weregoose> I must have missed the memo wherein you were allowed back in.
[07:49:45] <krisk> ?
[07:51:48] <Weregoose> Doesn't look like you were.
[07:52:27] <krisk> well its not like a professional stance with multi party communcation is being employed so I dont expect either of us to know anything about that
[07:52:59] <krisk> anyway
[07:53:40] <Weregoose> Anyway, what?
[07:53:44] <krisk> its damn hard to find websites of the artists of tracks in goa mixes
[07:54:01] <Weregoose> This is something people have been g-lined for, ban evasion.
[07:54:11] <Weregoose> Go to the forums and ask a staff member. Then try again.
[07:54:11] <krisk> easy enough to find their mentioning in the tracklisting of the mix, but thats all google finds
[07:54:22] * Weregoose sets mode: +b *!*@dragon-A1236929.ki.iif.hu
[07:54:26] * krisk was kicked by Weregoose (Weregoose)
[07:54:56] * krisk has joined #unitedti
[07:55:00] <krisk> so anyway
[07:55:17] * Weregoose sets mode: +b *!*@dragon-694B8D6B.cc.duth.gr
[07:55:21] * krisk was kicked by Weregoose (Weregoose)
[07:56:13] * krisk-shower has joined #unitedti
[07:56:15] <krisk-shower> aat
[07:56:20] <krisk-shower> hmm slow one this
[07:56:24] * Weregoose sets mode: +b *!*@dragon-2D2B8A59.foebud.org
[07:56:28] * krisk-shower was kicked by Weregoose (Weregoose)
[07:56:44] * Weregoose sets mode: +vv kms375 Telroth|Sleep
[07:57:03] * Weregoose sets mode: +m
[07:59:15] * aat has joined #unitedti
He's still in the channel, and has the ability to remain in there until someone with greater privileges than I do sees to it that he doesn't. I have already contacted Tianon and Telroth, who have not yet responded.

Last edited by Guest on 13 May 2007 10:24:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 May 2007 03:42:39 pm    Post subject:

He's using proxies to get around the bans, which means even as a server admin there's not much I can do. He can easily change his nickname, ident, hostname, and realname, which means ban evasion is easy if that's his goal. To actually keep him out, it would likely require we switch from inclusion to exclusion, simply telling the server to only allow registered people into the room. While that's easy enough, the trouble arises in (1) registering all of the members currently here and any new ones, and (2) automatically logging them in from the java chat, or allowing them to find out their password if they desire to use their own chat client. (2) can be done fairly easily, say, if we simply use the password that they used for uti, but this would entail sending the password plain-text embedded in the html (for the java chat, it would have to be passed as a parameter for the applet), which could be sniffed.

While weregoose's current method is semi-working (Arcane Wizard can't talk, except by changing his nickname, which is limited by flood protection to 3 every 5 minutes or so), it requires that there always be someone active in the room to voice (/mode +v <nickname>) anybody that enters the room
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 May 2007 03:49:10 pm    Post subject:

We can't compromise passwords, so keeping it this way is a fair solution.

I'll be sure to voice people as often as I'm on and it's needed.

What a cruel game for a previous staff member to revel in.

Last edited by Guest on 13 May 2007 03:50:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 May 2007 03:55:43 pm    Post subject:

I feel the same. In the meantime, I'll ban the proxies he is using, one by one. It's a lot less work to ban a proxy than to find one, and hopefully he'll decide that it isn't worth it.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 May 2007 03:58:35 pm    Post subject:

If that's equivalent to what I've been doing, then count me in to continue.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 May 2007 04:20:57 pm    Post subject:

It is. I'll be using server-bans though, as ban-evasion is breaking a server rule
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 15 May 2007 03:05:53 am    Post subject:

I had a chat with him about his recent behavior, we should see improvement now.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 15 May 2007 02:24:35 pm    Post subject:

I'm not surprised by his decision to dodge the bans, but what did he have to say?
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 May 2007 01:52:24 pm    Post subject:

Update: Read this and below.

I don't think I was unreasonable with him.

Last edited by Guest on 24 May 2007 04:32:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 May 2007 06:06:05 pm    Post subject:

I think by now you're both unable to think straight about the issue, and equally blind to what the other has to say. Maybe Arcane is being unreasonable, and maybe you're being equally so.

Take a step back. As a staff member, you have the responsibility to make the wiser decision here. It is therefore you I appeal to, to stop this vicious cycle of arguments. WHY must you instead argue the semantics of the words "a" and "asshole"? Can't you see you're doing the exact same thing you're berating him for?

I feel confident that you can be fair in this situation. But the next time you post something you know will provoke a vicious argument between the two of you, please reconsider. Given the history between the two of you, you will both have the tendency to see each other's remarks in the worst possible light. Try to avoid doing this, while making allowances for Arcane Wizard's dealing with the same issue.

Last edited by Guest on 19 Jan 2008 12:03:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 May 2007 08:15:41 pm    Post subject:

I'll take your advice and criticism. The best thing to do is not confront him for the little, diluted drops of poison that he leaves at places, and yet I have probably lost the approval to do anything at all if it gets worse than that. My problem: I've never had any training to deal with the sort of people who will say, "Stuff it," and then go back to whatever it is they were doing. Or worse, to go further and begin to deride me as though there is no validity in what I have to say. So, I did take it personally, and yet I am sorry for it; he left a real venom stewing inside of me, but I'll take what blemishes I have given myself and not approach this matter any further. (I'll be swallowing at that lump in my throat.)

Last edited by Guest on 30 May 2007 08:22:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 31 May 2007 07:11:14 pm    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
I'll take your advice and criticism. The best thing to do is not confront him for the little, diluted drops of poison that he leaves at places, and yet I have probably lost the approval to do anything at all if it gets worse than that. My problem: I've never had any training to deal with the sort of people who will say, "Stuff it," and then go back to whatever it is they were doing. Or worse, to go further and begin to deride me as though there is no validity in what I have to say. So, I did take it personally, and yet I am sorry for it; he left a real venom stewing inside of me, but I'll take what blemishes I have given myself and not approach this matter any further. (I'll be swallowing at that lump in my throat.)
[post="106150"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

People generally will only tell you to "Stuff it" and continue causing problems if they don't respect you.

One way to better gain, or keep from losing respect is to not join in with them when the mudslinging is going on. Don't stoop to that level, restrain your tongue if you have to, but never call them names even if they are calling you names.

If things are too hot for you to handle at the moment, cool/calm down before you do something you'll later regret.

If I could give only one piece of advice for being a great leader: Look at all the things you've seen other leaders do to handle situations poorly, and try not to make the same mistakes yourself.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement