This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
samnmax777

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 24 Apr 2007 10:23:54 pm    Post subject:

Well I'm finally back! I've been very busy with school so I've had no time to do much. Anyway, I am having trouble with my computer, I have reason to believe it's a virus. Problem is that after I used my flash drive, my computer's been running slow, and I can't access my hard drive by double-clicking. And if I right-click, I can't explore (so I have to do so by clicking the 'start' button), the first 2 lines of the submenu are gibberish. I use AVG Free and after manually updating it (since I don't have internet on that computer) it went screwy; I can't scan. So I hooked up the hard drive to another computer with full AVG updates, and it found 3 trojans and fixed them. That didn't fix the problem, and I even ran chdisk. I am using Win XP Pro w/ SP2. This is really irritating me because it's even beyond my knowledge of computer repair Mad . If you have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it!

And thank you in advance!
WikiGuru
ADOS (Attention deficit... Oh! Shiny!)

Elite

Posted: 24 Apr 2007 10:32:48 pm    Post subject:

Windows restore. If that doesn't work, there are a few other things you can try, but if all else fails, re-install windows (a big pain).
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 25 Apr 2007 04:43:17 pm    Post subject:

[quote name='Ti-Ho' date='Apr 24 2007, 10:32 PM']Windows restore. If that doesn't work, there are a few other things you can try, but if all else fails, re-install windows (a big pain).
[post="101874"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/quote]
Yup. If windows restore doesn't work then you might have to backup everything, create a MSDOS launching disk (usually a floppy disk), and then reinstall everything...this usually take more than half a day Sad
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Apr 2007 04:46:40 pm    Post subject:

Scan the drive again and this time note what trojans are present.

Run hijackthis + post the log.

Google the trojan names.
samnmax777

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 26 Apr 2007 02:22:21 am    Post subject:

I scanned again, this time in safe mode, and it still doesn't work. I also looked at the processes, and there's one that caught my eye, shicoxp.exe, I deleted it after researching it, and still nothing. It's starting to look like I have to reinstall Windows, since restore didn't work.

I also scanned the flash drive again, and there was still one trojan on it, that was one of the first on my computer, ravmon.exe, AVG deleted it.

And now I can't backup anything on that one because nero keeps shutting down without any warnings or error messages, so I have to backup on another computer.
Anyway, attatched are the menu when you right-click the C: drive and the log from hijackthis. Note: I have deleted shicoxp after scanning with hijackthis.

Last edited by Guest on 26 Apr 2007 02:30:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Apr 2007 02:59:28 am    Post subject:

No, anti malware software barely ever works anymore, you only use it to scan and get the NAME (not the filename) of the trojan/virus/whatever in order to get a specific script to fix it. If they do say they deleted it you always have to scan again to verify. Always.

What are the names of viruses and spyware found by your anti-x software?

It doesn't have to be caused by one, something could be corrupt, but it seems the most likely.

Last edited by Guest on 26 Apr 2007 03:00:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 26 Apr 2007 10:28:32 am    Post subject:

frenchcalc1 wrote:
[quote name='Ti-Ho' date='Apr 24 2007, 10:32 PM']Windows restore. If that doesn't work, there are a few other things you can try, but if all else fails, re-install windows (a big pain).
[post="101874"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yup. If windows restore doesn't work then you might have to backup everything, create a MSDOS launching disk (usually a floppy disk), and then reinstall everything...this usually take more than half a day Sad
[post="101908"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
[/quote]

Reinstalling the OS should only be used in extreme circumstances. If you still have the xp disk then you don't need a floppy just the XP disk and reinstalling everything usually doesn't take more than half a day, even with programs you'll add or yourself, or atleast when I did.
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 26 Apr 2007 04:12:25 pm    Post subject:

Newbie wrote:
frenchcalc1 wrote:
[post="101874"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

[post="101908"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Reinstalling the OS should only be used in extreme circumstances. If you still have the xp disk then you don't need a floppy just the XP disk and reinstalling everything usually doesn't take more than half a day, even with programs you'll add or yourself, or atleast when I did.
[post="101997"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
[/quote]
Last time I got a virus (don't ask me how), my computer had been slowed down so far that it took almost two hours to backup some important files onto a portable hard drive, then another two hours to delete everything from the Windows menu, and then another hour to reinstall Windows. That's five hours, not including the time it took me to scan my computer earlier with Windows security, and find the cause of the waste of half a day 8)

you're right, it's less than half a day Laughing

Last edited by Guest on 26 Apr 2007 04:16:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
WikiGuru

Elite

Posted: 26 Apr 2007 05:23:51 pm    Post subject:

I remember getting a virus once that killed my hard-drive... Don't know why or how, but it did. Luckily, after sticking it in the freezer for ~2 days and doing a low-level reformatting, I got it back.
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 26 Apr 2007 05:26:54 pm    Post subject:

My Horror Story:

IAmACalculator and the Zip Disk of DOOM!!

Well, maybe not quite that dramatic, but still awful. I had a corrupted zip disk. When you popped it in the drive and looked at it, your computer would crash. When I tried formatting it, it formatted the hard drive instead. Needless to say, it's in a landfill somewhere now.

Last edited by Guest on 26 Apr 2007 05:27:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 27 Apr 2007 05:07:23 pm    Post subject:

[quote name='Ti-Ho' date='Apr 26 2007, 05:23 PM']I remember getting a virus once that killed my hard-drive... Don't know why or how, but it did. Luckily, after sticking it in the freezer for ~2 days and doing a low-level reformatting, I got it back.
[post="102037"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/quote]
Why would you put your hard drive in the freezer? It's as if it needs a beak to "cool off" Razz
bossier330

Posted: 29 Apr 2007 10:40:53 am    Post subject:

you said you can't get on the internet on the infected computer right? try downloading the following files on a floppy or something. go to <a href="http://www.download.com/">download.com</a> and download these things (my favorite free trio of anti virus software that has always worked for me): lavasoft ad-aware 6, spybot sd, spywareblaster. on spybot, DON'T check the box that says system protection (tea timer). basically, ad-aware and spybot find and fix problems (make sure you update them and run a registry backup on spybot before you do anything), and spywareblaster creates dummy malware cookies and things. let me know if you need mroe help.
WikiGuru

Elite

Posted: 29 Apr 2007 12:58:45 pm    Post subject:

frenchcalc1 wrote:
[quote name='Ti-Ho' date='Apr 26 2007, 05:23 PM']I remember getting a virus once that killed my hard-drive... Don't know why or how, but it did. Luckily, after sticking it in the freezer for ~2 days and doing a low-level reformatting, I got it back.
[post="102037"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Why would you put your hard drive in the freezer? It's as if it needs a beak to "cool off" Razz
[post="102145"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
[/quote]

Actually, it's something you can try with hard drives to get them working again. I'm not quit sure how it works, but it does.

Usually you only do that with hard drives that have died so you can get data off of them. Somehow, though, the hard drive is still working.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement