This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
compulsive_programmer

Posted: 19 Apr 2007 04:39:08 pm    Post subject:

I want to overclock my TI 84+ SE past 15MHz, but I fear that that is probably not possible. I have already looked at several sites suggested by the stickied posts made by the MODS, but after close examination, and although not related to the TI 84+ SE, had made me come to an understanding that, perhaps TI 84+ SEs are already effectively overclocked in production in the factory.

I think (but am not entirely sure) that the 83+ and 84+ use the same exact processor, but the 83 is only 5MHz. But upon overclocked, it is up to 15MHz which is the default speed of my current calc. Perhaps this is the reason that there are no articles discussing overclocking the SE, because it is already overclocked and that you couldn't push it any further without frying it. I have to ask though, is there any way that I could push it further? 20 to 25MHz say?

EDIT: I just read that the Z80 CPUS can operate from 4MHz to 20 MHz, perhaps I can find a way to squeeze a few more MHz in, any suggestions?

Last edited by Guest on 19 Apr 2007 04:54:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 19 Apr 2007 05:03:25 pm    Post subject:

Why would you verclock a ti84+ SE? Isn't it already faster than many other calculators? Wink
Btw, you might want to search for overclocking calculators in the forums...you get many results

[EDIT]
you're right, the ti84 SE is already overclocked to the max...I haven't found any articles pertaining specifically to that calculator

Last edited by Guest on 19 Apr 2007 05:05:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
compulsive_programmer

Posted: 19 Apr 2007 07:18:39 pm    Post subject:

Actually it isn't overclocked to the max. The maximum recorded stable frequency in calculator overclocking history was actually 27MHz on the 83 Z80 CPU, so needless to say, if I replaced a transisor here or there I could effectively quintuple the clock speed it was meant to run at (6MHz). I'd probably need some very powerful AAA batteries around to keep it running though, or just a lot of crappy alkiline ones (maybe 30 to 40 dollars worth).

To answer your question, I have 2 more TI OS roms that are on my calc, and it's pretty annoying to run them because of response time and speed. The characters actually get printed one at a time on the screen upon loading catologues, menus, and programs and it takes a second or two for the letters to appear on screen . Overclocking the CPU to almost-unsafe speeds could give it the extra oomph it needs to effectively run it like it does the native OS, plus some computationally intensive 3D games that some idiot...errrm programming impaired geek wrote in basic instead of a language designed for efficiency and speed like Z80 ASM would run quite fast which would be major asset (and easier on the eyes, with buchured framerates and whatnot).
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 19 Apr 2007 07:28:54 pm    Post subject:

compulsive_programmer wrote:
To answer your question, I have 2 more TI OS roms that are on my calc, and it's pretty annoying to run them because of response time and speed. [post="101303"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Why do you have extra ROMs? Shouldn't there be only one?
I searched for some ti84 SE overclocking tutorials online, and I couldn't find any. I think you should follow the regular ti84 overclocking procedures Laughing
compulsive_programmer

Posted: 19 Apr 2007 07:39:48 pm    Post subject:

frenchcalc1 wrote:
To answer your question, I have 2 more TI OS roms that are on my calc, and it's pretty annoying to run them because of response time and speed. [post="101303"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I searched for some ti84 SE overclocking tutorials online, and I couldn't find any. I think you should follow the regular ti84 overclocking procedures Laughing
[post="101305"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

ROM hacking is a lasting investment, and is effectively combining more than one calculator into one. Is this really something no one on here is familier with? I'm quite surprised! I have my 84+ SE running TI 86 and 83 ROMS! I have the 86 OS on it because it can compute complex intagers and matrixes better than the 83 and 89 series (excellent for calculus and engineering), and I have the 83 on it because there are files that will run on it that won't run on the native OS (like a myrid of Zelda and Mario games that are very attractive). Plus, pretty much no high school teachers are familier with the 86 menus, and on top of that the 86 has different key scan actions (for instance, delete on an 83 is delete, but the same key value is insert on an 86, and the 2nd+9 is memory, so teachers can't really access it to delete memory by pressing 2nd+memory, nor know how to return to the native OS which is a key combo that I will never tell).
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 19 Apr 2007 10:34:40 pm    Post subject:

If you're referring to Emu8x, then yes, we have heard of it. Otherwise, no, we have not.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Apr 2007 11:06:17 pm    Post subject:

Is this really something no one on here is familier with? I'm quite surprised!
I don't see how one person's not having heard of something makes another jump to the conclusion that we're a forum full of amateurs, which you may be surprised to find isn't true.

Last edited by Guest on 19 Apr 2007 11:06:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
compulsive_programmer

Posted: 20 Apr 2007 03:10:32 pm    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
Is this really something no one on here is familier with? I'm quite surprised!
I don't see how one person's not having heard of something makes another jump to the conclusion that we're a forum full of amateurs, which you may be surprised to find isn't true.
[post="101320"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well so far everyone has been giving me stuff like "the 83 and 84 motherboard are the same" and "you can't oc an 84 SE". All of these are assumptions as well, and I've disproven both. This statement wasn't refering to "everyone" but "everyone I've met", which means that there is nothing wrong with what I've said, you've just interpreted it wrong.
IAmACalculator

Know-It-All

Posted: 20 Apr 2007 03:54:08 pm    Post subject:

Keep in mind that you're not the only newcomer to this forum, and that we're all still learning stuff. Also keep in mind that not all of us want to overclock our calcs, and can only guess what the insides are like.

Emu8x is little used because most people don't need the extra functionality or write a program to do it instead. It's pretty slow.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Apr 2007 10:49:15 pm    Post subject:

Well so far everyone has been giving me stuff like "the 83 and 84 motherboard are the same" and "you can't oc an 84 SE".
Again, I'm only seeing one person who has responded at all in this thread before your proud gibe. And, again, one person cannot possibly exemplify everybody else in a community. You can direct your statements to whomever should receive them, but to speculate that all are flawed as a result of an individual circumstance is a bit conceited.

This statement wasn't refering to "everyone" but "everyone I've met", which means that there is nothing wrong with what I've said, you've just interpreted it wrong.
One should hope that I interpreted it the way that I did! It's not so much that I erred in understanding as it was your deficient wielding of the word in question. Say what you mean. Before that, at least admit your mistakes—go to make excuses afterward. And only when I'm wrong should you pursue to correct me.

Last edited by Guest on 20 Apr 2007 10:52:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 20 Apr 2007 11:20:27 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
...What weregoose said...

Neutral Weregoose, I bet you do really well in english, huh?

Quote:
computationally intensive 3D games that some idiot...errrm programming impaired geek wrote in basic instead of a language designed for efficiency and speed like Z80 ASM would run quite fast which would be major asset (and easier on the eyes, with buchured framerates and whatnot).

What game might that be? I sure hope you're not talking about 3dmaze. Plus 3d basic games aren't neseccarily bad, they show the power of ti basic.
IAmACalculator

Know-It-All

Posted: 21 Apr 2007 06:34:11 am    Post subject:

Well, no, he is just learning the art of the calc, according to some of his previous posts. It's been four posts since he's said anything, why not give the guy a chance to defend himself?
Recursive Acronym

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Apr 2007 09:07:51 am    Post subject:

frenchcalc1 wrote:

[post="101305"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

ROM hacking is a lasting investment, and is effectively combining more than one calculator into one. Is this really something no one on here is familier with? I'm quite surprised! I have my 84+ SE running TI 86 and 83 ROMS! I have the 86 OS on it because it can compute complex intagers and matrixes better than the 83 and 89 series (excellent for calculus and engineering), and I have the 83 on it because there are files that will run on it that won't run on the native OS (like a myrid of Zelda and Mario games that are very attractive). Plus, pretty much no high school teachers are familier with the 86 menus, and on top of that the 86 has different key scan actions (for instance, delete on an 83 is delete, but the same key value is insert on an 86, and the 2nd+9 is memory, so teachers can't really access it to delete memory by pressing 2nd+memory, nor know how to return to the native OS which is a key combo that I will never tell).
[post="101306"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Why would you want to put an 86 ROM on your calculator if you already have an 86 to begin with?
IAmACalculator

Know-It-All

Posted: 21 Apr 2007 10:29:31 am    Post subject:

There are three possible answers to that question that I can see:

• Because it's so cool
  • He doesn't want to carry around his 86 all the time.
  • He got the 86 ROM illegally
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 21 Apr 2007 11:42:10 am    Post subject:

How would you alternate between the ROM's, though? wouldn't you have to reset the calculator each time you wanted to change interfaces? Cool
Where did compulsive_programmer go? I hope I didn't scare him off...

Last edited by Guest on 21 Apr 2007 11:42:56 am; edited 1 time in total
IAmACalculator

Know-It-All

Posted: 21 Apr 2007 12:07:20 pm    Post subject:

No. Read me!
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 21 Apr 2007 12:14:27 pm    Post subject:

IAmACalculator wrote:
No.  Read me!
[post="101451"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thanks! I was looking for that Laughing
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement