This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Apr 2007 12:23:12 am    Post subject:

I'm experimenting with the KH-300 media enclosure. I added a 120 gig hard drive and I'm planning to store and play both music and movies.

Music playback is fine, it recognizes my folder structure and is overall a fairly clean interface.

Movie playback is messy. It won't recognize .iso files, but it will play .vob. Even when sorted into folders, this looks cluttered, and videos seem to skip occasionally as they decode.

According to Kingwin's site, I can chose among "DVD, Mpeg-4, Divx, XviD, SVCD, VCD/VCD3" video formats, with "AVI, ASF, VOB, DAT, MP4, MPG" file extensions.

I think my favorite solution would be to combine the entire main movie into one .mp4 file, preferably around 2 gigs. I can of course afford larger file sizes if there is a noticeable quality difference, I was originally hoping to just use my 4 gig image files.

Does mp4 seem like my best bet? What are some good programs to convert my image files?

Thanks!

Spyderbyte
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Apr 2007 04:50:30 am    Post subject:

.iso isn't an audio or video format.

If it's decoding can't keep up I'm guessing it's just too slow (either hardware or crappy codecs, I like how nothing lists the processing specs though) for the amount of data / second you've tried. Try lower resolutions and such.

It could be more suitable for MP4 (can you update the codecs maybe?) but there's really no other way of knowing but to try it all. I'd also try AVI in any case though.

Last edited by Guest on 03 Apr 2007 04:50:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Apr 2007 06:24:39 am    Post subject:

I use Xilisoft DVD to iPod Converter. Although video sizes are small, I can watch them as an .mp4 on my iPod.
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Apr 2007 11:13:56 am    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
.iso isn't an audio or video format.

That's true, but when it said it supports DVD format, I thought it might mean native.

Arcane Wizard wrote:
If it's decoding can't keep up I'm guessing it's just too slow (either hardware or crappy codecs, I like how nothing lists the processing specs though) for the amount of data / second you've tried. Try lower resolutions and such.

How low can I go before it becomes noticeable on a standard tv?

Arcane Wizard wrote:
It could be more suitable for MP4 (can you update the codecs maybe?) but there's really no other way of knowing but to try it all. I'd also try AVI in any case though.

I considered AVI as well, do you know of a good way to convert to either format?

Harrierfalcon wrote:
I use Xilisoft DVD to iPod Converter.  Although video sizes are small, I can watch them as an .mp4 on my iPod.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd like to keep as much of the original resolution and quality as possible. Quality is more important than file size.

Thanks!

Spyderbyte
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Apr 2007 01:52:49 pm    Post subject:

.iso is a filesystem image, not a DVD format. The player can read the DVD format it just can't read it inside disk image files.

All quality differences can be noticable. I consider 320*240 @ 24fps to be low quality but enjoyable, and 640*480 @ 30fps to be pretty good for something to be watched on a TV (not talking HD here). The most important factor is how the original datastream was produced if you ask me. A recording from HD tv is going to look better at 640*480 than something from a hand camera. Video display standard resolutions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Video_Standards.svg

There are many free tools out there that will let you convert video files of various formats. I think http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html will work nicely.
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Apr 2007 12:58:03 am    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
.iso is a filesystem image, not a DVD format. The player can read the DVD format it just can't read it inside disk image files.

Ah, thanks for clarifying.
Arcane Wizard wrote:
There are many free tools out there that will let you convert video files of various formats. I think http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html will work nicely.

Wow that looks excellent! And it's even legally free!

Thanks!

Spyderbyte
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement