This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
United-TI Archives -> Calculator Modifications

» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 30 Mar 2007 08:10:46 pm    Post subject:

I want to mod a TI 83+ (black) and add extra stuff inside of it, i dont care how thick it is so-long its dictionary size Smile . im planning on adding a uMP3 player (robotic MP3 player) but i dont know how i would control it. any suggestions would be helpful. I am putting LED's in the case since its going to be thicker their will be space for them to shine (time to annoy my teachers Rolling Eyes ). What else should i add into the case/on the calc? im not TOO electronic orientatated, so big projects with alot of wires, i might need guidence. please suggest, thank you.

-rcfreak0

EDIT (same night)
me too, i hope it doesnt break. and yes i DID misspell "what" sorry.

Last edited by Guest on 30 Mar 2007 08:38:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Neekstar

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 30 Mar 2007 08:14:17 pm    Post subject:

Good luck, hope you don't break your calculator Smile
Recursive Acronym

Advanced Member

Posted: 30 Mar 2007 08:48:38 pm    Post subject:

You must understand that even simple modifications require a decent amount of electrical knowledge. You have to be extremely careful or else you will screw up the calculator. I don't know how or why you plan to put an MP3 player in the calculator, but the two most common calculator modifications are overclocking and backlighting, of which the overclocking is easiest. I don't suggest making the calculator look any different unless you want it to be disqualified for standardized tests.
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 31 Mar 2007 02:49:21 pm    Post subject:

I have a TI 84 + SE so, no matter what, i have a back-up calculator. I just want the calculator to control the mp3 player. the mp3 player will run off seperate batteries, so the calculator wont lose any power. I am going to do the backlight mod, i just want to know what i have to do to get the calc to recognize the uMP3 player.

Edit(same day):

Its a robotic mp3 player, which means it can be controlled by a I/O line, which the 83 has.

Last edited by Guest on 31 Mar 2007 04:27:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 31 Mar 2007 04:25:48 pm    Post subject:

That's like getting a vaccum cleaner to recognize a tv. It just won't happen. You could have it so that the headphone jack is near the bottom (buttons on back) and then make everyone believe it is your calc that has 200 songs.
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 31 Mar 2007 05:24:40 pm    Post subject:

luby wrote:
That's like getting a vaccum cleaner to recognize a tv.  It just won't happen.  You could have it so that the headphone jack is near the bottom (buttons on back) and then make everyone believe it is your calc that has 200 songs.
[post="99867"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

what do you mean? I've been using me vacuum cleaner to control mt tv ever since I lost the remote Razz
Btw rcfreak0, Luby's right, you can't realy do it unless youchange most of the hardware inside of the calculator, and by the end of the process, it won't be a calculator anymore! Laughing
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 31 Mar 2007 05:54:15 pm    Post subject:

ok,ok. i guess this wont work, but im still gonna try. if the mp3 can be controlled by a I/O line (the plug at the bottom of the calc) why cant the calc control it? Either way, i might try to do it, but any other ideas on what to do to the calc?

(Yes i know about the double posting rule, i just didnt feel like clicking the edit button Smile )
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 31 Mar 2007 06:51:23 pm    Post subject:

You're fine if there's at least a post between two of yours. Just avoid two consecutive posts by the same author, unless it's been a day or so. And I can't believe no one has welcomed you yet to United-TI. That's our tradition! Razz

Last edited by Guest on 31 Mar 2007 06:54:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 31 Mar 2007 06:54:50 pm    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
You're fine if there's at least a post between two of yours. Just avoid two consecutive posts by the same author, unless it's been a day or so. And I can't believe no one has welcomed you yet to United-TI. That's our tradition! Razz
[post="99885"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Oh, you're right! I didn't notice :blush:
Welcome to United Ti! Laughing

Last edited by Guest on 31 Mar 2007 06:57:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
WikiGuru
ADOS (Attention deficit... Oh! Shiny!)

Elite

Posted: 31 Mar 2007 08:11:17 pm    Post subject:

From the sound of it, all you're going to have to do is some extensive coding. I don't know if your mp3 player has upgradeable firm-ware, but if it does, maybe you can somehow write your own firmware that has an option to allow for external commands. Then all you need to do is program it to somehow communicate between the mp3 player and the calculator. No modifications to the calculator needed, unless you want to actually put the mp3 player inside the calculator.
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 01 Apr 2007 03:15:08 pm    Post subject:

First of all thank you for the welcome to UTI. The only modifications would do is to add the mp3 player into the case, i can do that. This is the mp3 player i would like to add: http://www.roguerobotics.com/products/electronics/ump3 i dont know if i would have to add a PIC into the calculator case or not, it would be possible since the PIC and the mp3 player are small. I am planning on making the case of the calc thicker, so i can add additional electronics. If the mp3 player from that link will work, please let me know, AND if i need a PIC or if the calc+mp3+a program will work. Thank you
-rcfreak0

EDIT:

i just found this mp3 player that might work also
http://www.sigmatel.com/documents/MP3%20Fl...f%205-25-05.pdf
i dont know if it will though, it would have to be modded to work i think. more updates soon, and help is appreciated.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Apr 2007 03:50:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 02 Apr 2007 08:30:26 am    Post subject:

No one's gonna mention me and my modding experience? Sad Wink
What they said. You're basically screwed if you expect to be able to control your MP3 player with the calculator unless you already have software written or know of a piece of software for the calculator that can do what you want. Regarding the LEDs, you won't need to make the case thicker; there's enough free space inside already.
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Apr 2007 08:37:37 am    Post subject:

I personally read about your calc modding, and i really liked it. I know for the LED's i dont need to make the case thicker, but if you write a program(i mean me) wont the cal be able to control the mp3 player using its I/O line? Oh, and congrats again on you calc modding, Ps/2 ports rule! (especially on calcs)

-rcfreak0
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 02 Apr 2007 11:15:40 am    Post subject:

If the device uses a serial protocol, then yes, a program would work. If not, you'd need a SIPO and some rather ingenious software.
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Apr 2007 11:37:29 am    Post subject:

My brain isnt that good, whats SIPO?

EDIT:

Anyone have any ideas on how to put a I/O line plug on a mp3 player so it plugs into a TI 83?

Last edited by Guest on 02 Apr 2007 12:57:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 02 Apr 2007 03:08:35 pm    Post subject:

rcfreak0 wrote:

EDIT:

Anyone have any ideas on how to put a I/O line plug on a mp3 player so it plugs into a TI 83?
[post="100045"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Even if you did connect both of them together, there are 2 things will happen:
1) the calculator will not do anything desirable because you need to make some software for that kind of connection
2)the calcualtor's transfer rate is very slow...even in ASM Wink

Bottom line...its going to be a challenge Laughing
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Apr 2007 07:08:52 pm    Post subject:

I only need the calc to "read" the playlist, control the volume, and select the song(s) to play. the calc really wont have to do all that much, and my freind can code some pretty fast BASIC programs on-calc. Also can a calc control a PIC controller? If so, this project has just become a whole lot easier.
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 02 Apr 2007 08:05:25 pm    Post subject:

rcfreak0 wrote:
I only need the calc to "read" the playlist, control the volume, and select the song(s) to play. the calc really wont have to do all that much, and my freind can code some pretty fast BASIC programs on-calc. Also can a calc control a PIC controller? If so, this project has just become a whole lot easier.
[post="100069"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't think BASIC will cut it for this kind of project...you might need ASM routines for reading I/O from the ports. If you get it to work, let us know Laughing
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Apr 2007 11:16:32 pm    Post subject:

rcfreak0 wrote:

EDIT:

[post="100045"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's serial-in, parallel-out; but it's more commonly called a shift register. Basically, it takes bits from the I/O line one bit at a time, then outputs them 8 at once. There's various kinds depending on what you're trying to do.

The calc can interface to an MP3 player, however, since most players operate at a much lower voltage than the I/O line, you need a voltage level translator from a company like Maxim/Dallas so the calc doesn't overdrive the MP3.

The calc can control PICs. You can use the UART. Cool
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Apr 2007 08:09:18 am    Post subject:

thank you Digi, but wtf is UART? Isnt it for a computer, from what i gatered from googling it, its a device for a computer. Also what PIC's can the calc control? I will continue reasearching, and post more soon (Im at school too Smile so i might not be able to answer back right away. I only have 3 classes when i have comp. access Sad )
OH, and the mp3 will most likely be powered from a seperate battery pack.

EDIT:
Will these PIC's work?
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?I...ocName=en010116
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?I...ocName=en010115

Last edited by Guest on 03 Apr 2007 08:33:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 9 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement