This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
United-TI Archives -> Calculator Modifications

» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 16 May 2007 07:37:27 pm    Post subject:

Also pics, and videos. It is more interesting to see that kind of thing and easier for people to notice it.
benryves

Posted: 17 May 2007 05:57:46 am    Post subject:

I just put in an order for the VMusic2 module and a PICAXE 28X1, so it looks like I will be writing the software after all. Very Happy
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 May 2007 08:14:16 am    Post subject:

Hey thats cool. I didnt think you were going to order one. Did you ordre them both from the same website? If so, could you point me too it? I couldnt find a site that sold both of them that was in the US. Well i guess now i have to buy them soon to so i can start coding and copying code now. Very Happy Cool, im glad you your going to order them, but i hope you didnt do it just because of this project...
Once i find ordre my stuff and get new batteries for digital cam, ill post pics. Im also working on a website for this mod too (and other stuff as well)

--rcfreak0

Last edited by Guest on 17 May 2007 08:15:50 am; edited 1 time in total
benryves

Posted: 17 May 2007 08:56:27 am    Post subject:

rcfreak0 wrote:
Hey thats cool. I didnt think you were going to order one. Did you ordre them both from the same website? If so, could you point me too it?

I get all my stuff from the official PICAXE source, tech-supplies.co.uk. They should deliver to the US, but it might be more expensive to have one UK->US postage rather than two US->US postages.

Quote:
Cool, im glad you your going to order them, but i hope you didnt do it just because of this project...
The PICAXE 28X1 is a useful chip for a number of reasons (it's very powerful for the price and ease of use) so I've been wanting to get one for a while anyway; the VMusic2 is less useful to me as a music player, but the flash drive capabilities are always handy for many other projects.

Unlike you I don't intend on making a complete mod in any case; I'll settle for building this on prototype board. Smile I'll be able to easily reuse the components later.

With so many I/O pins going spare, I wonder what else we can get that 28X1 to do? Smile Might be an idea to formalise pinouts. Some ideas;

• PS/2 keyboard (using silent link protocol, so you can use the keyboard with any program using GetKey).
  • Real-time clock.
  • Internal flash memory (up to 256KB is easy).
  • Serial port (for direct connection to external serial devices, eg modems).
  • Parallel general-purpose I/O port for future hardware enhancements.

The list goes on. Smile
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 May 2007 11:51:44 am    Post subject:

Hey, thanks for the link. Those ideas sound good. Could we also make it control some LED's in the case so they flash or do something cool? The PS/2 sounds great for in school.(such easier coding:)) The modem would also be cool. What about making a usb connection too? That would help for file storage like on the 84+. Ill try to think of some more stuff as well. Great ideas!

--rcfreak0
benryves

Posted: 17 May 2007 12:04:10 pm    Post subject:

My last suggestion, the general-purpose parallel I/O port could be used to drive any external hardware, and just a quick thought for any left-over pins. You can do anything you like with the left over pins.

The VMusic2 device is a USB interface, and the program I will write will be able to transfer files to and from a USB flash drive and your calculator. The ability to play music using it is merely a nice extra.

My extra memory idea was to add standard memory chips inside the mod, so you could have extra space without having to have a flash drive plugged into your calculator. That would be rather more difficult to program, as you'd have to write a file system on top of that.

Basically, rather than use the PICAXE as a crude device that ferries data between the TI and the VMusic2, let's make it do something more exciting whilst we've got some extra pins and secondary processing available to us.

Last edited by Guest on 17 May 2007 12:05:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 May 2007 12:10:05 pm    Post subject:

OK, well If the file system would be a pain in the a$$ to code, dont do it. It would be nice extra, but if its too much of a hassel, then i wont do it. Thats cool that your gonna make the VMusic tranfer data to the calc, and be able to play songs. This is gonna be neat. IM gonna ask my parents tonight if i can go to the bank and withdraw the money to get the stuff ordered. As for the extra pins. I think a modem would be nice for connecting to the internet.That would be fun to talk on UTI off your TI-83+ wouldnt it? :D

--rcfreak0
benryves

Posted: 18 May 2007 04:28:15 am    Post subject:

In any case, the most important question of them all is yet to be answered: what should this mod be called? I need to call the project folder and program something. Smile
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 18 May 2007 04:50:45 pm    Post subject:

benryves wrote:
In any case, the most important question of them all is yet to be answered: what should this mod be called? I need to call the project folder and program something. Smile
[post="104415"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I didn;t know that modding projects were called something. I guess you could name it after some of the devices you're going to mod the calc with Smile
ForthReich

Posted: 18 May 2007 07:16:09 pm    Post subject:

The tech guy at rcfreak0's school just blocked UTI. He would like to inform everyone to continue the project, but he won't be online for another month, at best. I'll try to relay information to him, I see him quite often anyway.
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 20 May 2007 01:09:36 pm    Post subject:

ForthReich wrote:
The tech guy at rcfreak0's school just blocked UTI. He would like to inform everyone to continue the project, but he won't be online for another month, at best. I'll try to relay information to him, I see him quite often anyway.
[post="104515"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Why would they block UTI? There isn't any unappropriate material on here :confused:
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 20 May 2007 01:26:09 pm    Post subject:

frenchcalc1 wrote:
ForthReich wrote:
[post="104515"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Why would they block UTI? There isn't any unappropriate material on here :confused:
[post="104734"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't really know how the school decides what sites are blocked and what sites aren't but we are allowed to use profanity. Which my school doesn't allow btw.
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 20 May 2007 01:43:50 pm    Post subject:

baorder54 wrote:
I don't really know how the school decides what sites are blocked and what sites aren't but we are allowed to use profanity.  Which my school doesn't allow btw.
[post="104745"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think it might be upon the amount of visits to irrelevant sites. I'm not sure, though.
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 May 2007 03:55:28 pm    Post subject:

I would have to guess it was because of the many number of times me and fourth hit this site up. Im lucky i goton today, and this is a rarity, i probbaly will only be on once in a while, but yes i am still going to continue this project. Mabey it should be called TI MP3?

rcfreak0
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 20 May 2007 04:10:29 pm    Post subject:

rcfreak0 wrote:
...Mabey it should be called TI MP3?

rcfreak0
[post="104779"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That sounds great,and it also illustrates to the user the use of the mod. I like it Smile
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 May 2007 04:16:51 pm    Post subject:

YAY! I got a supporter! WOOT!

rcfreak0
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 20 May 2007 04:17:50 pm    Post subject:

rcfreak0 wrote:
YAY! I got a supporter! WOOT!

rcfreak0
[post="104782"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You'll get much more if ticalc ever features the mod on their site Wink
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 May 2007 04:19:38 pm    Post subject:

Well once I get all the supplies, and i take and upload pic's. Ill try and get it featured on thier site. Ben might be able to help with that as well.

rcfreak0
benryves

Posted: 21 May 2007 04:52:14 am    Post subject:

Being a MaxCoderz member I've opened a thread there too.

Linky

Maybe you can view that? :)

Click to download (+PICAXE program).

I haven't got a very slick front-end working just yet (even the scrollbars are just for show) and it's quite slow to browse the device - but it does work! You can browse directories, play single songs, or play a complete directory of MP3s and its subdirectories.

• Y= - Play All
  • Window Stop
  • Clear - Exit
  • Up/Down - Move up and down columns
  • Left/Right - Switch columns
  • 2nd - Select
  • Graph - Refresh list
For reliable operation, plug in the flash drive, wait for LED to turn green, then start program. Press F5 if filenames appear corrupted (known issue).

Can quite possibly crash your calculator; the Z80 program was written very quickly and is very rough around the edges.

1.48MB AVI (MPEG-4, MP3)

I don't really want to cross-post across forums, and I'm not sure how interested you are in the software/protocol side of things. :)

Edit: Supposedly this is the chip used for music playback. Impressive feature set, lots of formats!

Last edited by Guest on 21 May 2007 10:15:25 am; edited 1 time in total
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 21 May 2007 03:29:24 pm    Post subject:

Woah! You actually did it! I'm impressed Smile
Now your calc can actually be called a music player Laughing

Last edited by Guest on 21 May 2007 03:29:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 9 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement