This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
United-TI Archives -> Calculator Modifications

» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 21 May 2007 05:02:45 pm    Post subject:

hey I wonder do you think you could get this to work with a USB flash drive hooked up to a 84? Or at least make up instructions on how we could do this?
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 21 May 2007 05:31:24 pm    Post subject:

TheStorm wrote:
hey I wonder do you think you could get this to work with a USB flash drive hooked up to a 84? Or at least make up instructions on how we could do this?
[post="104880"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, I would like that too. However, rereading the last 6 pages of posts could also help, too Razz
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 May 2007 07:42:50 pm    Post subject:

SWEET!!!!!!!!! Thats awsome! Now i really need to get that stuff ordered and download that stuff. Did you use a breadboard for the PICAXE? If so, im gonna need a pic or schematics. Man, that is unbelievable.....wow, im speechless ( shall i say typeless...). That is sooo cool. Thanks, even though i can use it yet....

--rcfreak0
(This post is a rarity, im supposevedly doing homework...)
benryves

Posted: 22 May 2007 05:00:18 am    Post subject:

TheStorm wrote:
[post="104880"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
The 84+ has integrated USB hardware, so it can do it already. Smile It won't be able to play MP3/WMA, directly though; but you can play music using RealSound.

rcfreak0 wrote:
Did you use a breadboard for the PICAXE? If so, im gonna need a pic or schematics.
Sorry, I didn't really mention that. Smile You could work it out by looking at the BASIC code for the PICAXE.

There's the breadboard and PICAXE. You'll need to connect +5V, 0V, reset, serial in, serial out according to the PICAXE manual 1 (Page 22). There are two 0V pins, both are connected internally (as far as I can see) so you only need to connect one (ie, the one on the lower side of the PICAXE).

The calculator needs to be connected to pins 0 and 1 of port C. These are labelled In0/Out C0 and In1/Out C1 on the diagram (pins 11 and 12 on the chip). Red (tip) goes go In0/Out C0, white (ring) goes to In1/Out C1. Braid (base) needs to go to 0V, naturally.

The VMusic2 needs to be connected thusly (from PICAXE site):

Code:
; VMUSIC2                       PICAXE-28X1
; 1 Black       GND     -       0V
; 2 Brown       RTS     -       CTS     input4  C4
; 3 Red         V+      -       V+
; 4 Orange      RXD     -       HTXD    input6  C6
; 5 Yellow      TXD     -       HRXD    input7  C7
; 6 Green       CTS     -       RTS     output0 B0
; 7
; 8 Blue        RI      -       not connected

The current GUI program is not all that reliable and rather limited (timing issues mainly) so it's easier to get a feel for the potential capabilities by using a link console app. Download this and you can use that to talk to the VMusic2+PICAXE-28X1 circuit easily (has some samples in the readme).

EDIT: BrandonW, I stand corrected.

Last edited by Guest on 22 May 2007 05:53:19 am; edited 1 time in total
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 22 May 2007 12:29:35 pm    Post subject:

you made a program the can play mp3's for this right? Couldn't you modify it to work to make it work with usb8x and a flash drive?
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 22 May 2007 01:39:01 pm    Post subject:

TheStorm wrote:
you made a program the can play mp3's for this right? Couldn't you modify it to work to make it work with usb8x and a flash drive?
[post="105003"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think there might be a difference in the speed of transmition from the mp3 player to the speed of input from the calculator. In other words, I don't think so Wink
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 22 May 2007 05:00:37 pm    Post subject:

Darn Razz Thx anyway.
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 22 May 2007 05:02:50 pm    Post subject:

TheStorm wrote:
Darn Razz Thx anyway.
[post="105046"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

There might be a chance...I doubted anyone could hook up an mp3 player with a calc, and they did it, so you might be able to combine a flash drive's capabilties with the calc's I/O port Smile
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 May 2007 08:08:59 pm    Post subject:

Ben, thanks for the pic. Im gonna try and order everything wensday or thursday. Could you tell me everything you ordered, so i know i have the right stuff? Smile By the way, i just registered a maxcoders account, because at the moment, its not blocked at my school. So if you could post all the stuff you ordered in at least maxcoders, that would be nice, but UTI will work as well.( since ill be ordering frm home). Thanks agian for all the help. Another question, what kind of breadboard do you have? The one i have does not look like yours, its smaller, and looks different. Thanks agian,

--rcfreak0
benryves

Posted: 23 May 2007 05:05:20 am    Post subject:

TheStorm wrote:
Ah, therein lies the misunderstanding. [smile]

The VMusic2 device not only contains a USB host controller (to deal with the Flash drive) but it also has a VLSI VS1003 codec in it (see datasheet).

rcfreak0 wrote:
Ben, thanks for the pic. Im gonna try and order everything wensday or thursday. Could you tell me everything you ordered, so i know i have the right stuff? Smile

• VMusic2 (~£25)

• PICAXE-28X1 (~£5)

• Box of paper clips (35p)

I used the paper clips to construct this adapter to plug the VMusic2 into a breadboard. Be warned that the pin spacing is different! Also, be careful inserting fat wires (like paper clips) into a breadboard, as they can bend and break the contacts if forced.

If you do not have a PICAXE programming cable (serial->3.5mm stereo jack adapter) you will also need one of those and a programming board (the simple circuit with a 3.5mm stereo jack socket and a couple of resistors on page 27 of manual 1). I buy my resistors in multipacks, as they are very useful.

A 2.5mm stereo jack connection will need to be made with the calculator. Either cut up an old calc->calc link, or (if you can find one!) buy a 2.5mm stereo socket. They are difficult to find. 2.5mm stereo plugs are usually too large to fit into the recessed socket on the calculator!

A 5V voltage regulator might be useful (I power my circuit off a 9V power supply, so need it).

There should be the more obvious parts - wire, battery clips, stripboard if you feel you need it, &c. I'm not sure what tools and parts you have lying around, you see. :)

Quote:
Another question, what kind of breadboard do you have? The one i have does not look like yours, its smaller, and looks different.

I have two. I normally use my Protobloc 2, but I also have a small Protobloc for smaller circuits. Either will do in this instance.

In both cases, they can be linked together to make larger circuits. Very Happy

Last edited by Guest on 23 May 2007 05:06:54 am; edited 1 time in total
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 23 May 2007 05:51:56 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the info, im gonna order the stuff right now. Yippie!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile :biggrin:

rcfreak0

EDIT:

BAH! i cant order the breadboard or the regulator because the order needs to be $100 UK dollars in order to ship it to the US. Know of anywhere else i can get them? Oh, andi just ordered the picaxe 28x1,VMusic player, and the serial data tranfer cable.

Last edited by Guest on 23 May 2007 06:21:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 23 May 2007 07:54:28 pm    Post subject:

What this mod really needs is built in speaker to the back, maybe right above the battery case? I don't know what the inside of a calculator looks like so I am not sure if there is room there. But a calc with speakers would be way tighter than having to where microphones.
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 23 May 2007 07:59:26 pm    Post subject:

baorder54 wrote:
What this mod really needs is built in speaker to the back, maybe right above the battery case?  I don't know what the inside of a calculator looks like so I am not sure if there is room there. But a calc with speakers would be way tighter than having to where microphones.
[post="105207"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Even if there is enough space (which there really isn't), the speakers have to be
1) *very* small
2) loud
3) supported by the battery power from the mp3 player or the calc
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 23 May 2007 08:05:19 pm    Post subject:

Well if size doesn't matter, like rcfreak said before, then the speaker can fit. Sure it needs to be small, a small speaker can still be loud though. How loud would you want it anyways?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 May 2007 08:32:40 pm    Post subject:

Aw man I gotta check that out. It's got the crazies!
ForthReich

Posted: 23 May 2007 08:39:54 pm    Post subject:

As loud as this.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 23 May 2007 09:53:45 pm    Post subject:

frenchcalc1 wrote:
TheStorm wrote:
Darn Razz Thx anyway.
[post="105046"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

There might be a chance...I doubted anyone could hook up an mp3 player with a calc, and they did it, so you might be able to combine a flash drive's capabilties with the calc's I/O port Smile
[post="105047"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I might have to work on this after I learn asm if anyone wants to help pm me.
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 24 May 2007 08:14:57 pm    Post subject:

I am going to add internal speakers tothe calc, since i will have to expand the case anyways. Fourth, thanks for the link, but i already got the amppart figured out...

rcfreak0
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 24 May 2007 08:28:40 pm    Post subject:

be carfull with that because that dose involve a magnet and you co't want to mess anything up with it.
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 24 May 2007 08:29:52 pm    Post subject:

Im gonna use a good pair of earbuds...

rcfreak0
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 6 of 9 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement