This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
WikiGuru
ADOS (Attention deficit... Oh! Shiny!)

Elite

Posted: 26 Mar 2007 05:56:51 pm    Post subject:

link

What a nightmare it would have been to solve! And the worst part is that it doesn't appear to have much use yet...
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 26 Mar 2007 06:14:59 pm    Post subject:

For more fun, Click here.
You can also attempt to reproduce Fermat's original proof in his last theorem.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Mar 2007 06:26:56 pm    Post subject:

Sounds useless to me. We're we trying to cure cancer at some point?
Neekstar

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 26 Mar 2007 06:41:51 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like they had fun.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Mar 2007 07:35:15 pm    Post subject:

Ah, I remember my math teacher talking about Lie algebras...

TEACHER: "This has direct applications to quantum physics and string theory."
CLASS: *laughter*
TEACHER: "No, I'm actually serious."
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 26 Mar 2007 08:50:33 pm    Post subject:

But 4 years to solve it... That is dedication. That is like highschool where all you do is try to solve it. I wonder how they did so.
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 27 Mar 2007 03:01:30 pm    Post subject:

Wow! Cool To spend *years* solving problems that are, at this point, useless in modern-day society's dilemnas...now that's dedication! Very Happy
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Mar 2007 06:02:43 pm    Post subject:

That article never actually states the problem. It talks about "the problem's proof" but it only makes sense to have a proof if there's a theorem - what's the theorem?

Also, I would hesitate to say the word "useless" - the way branches of mathematics and indeed many other sciences are coming together these days, this could have implications in the most unexpected places. Fermat's last theorem, for example, was proved by a result not in number theory, but in topology. This result could have a similar impact, and there are a number of unsolved problems out there which it would change our lives greatly to have a solution to.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Mar 2007 06:03:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
WikiGuru

Elite

Posted: 27 Mar 2007 08:52:59 pm    Post subject:

Here's what the theorem is:
The Lie group E8
Click link for more info about the problem.
link
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Mar 2007 11:47:22 pm    Post subject:

Fair enough. I'm mostly leery of the litany of useless multi-million dollar studies that pour out of these institutes. Though I never was crazy about academia in other aspects. I might help if the news article mentioned the nature of this math problem though.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Mar 2007 11:48:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
WikiGuru

Elite

Posted: 28 Mar 2007 04:37:41 pm    Post subject:

[quote name='"CNN"']The 18-member group of mathematicians and computer scientists was convened by the American Institute of Mathematics in Palo Alto to map a theoretical object known as the "Lie group E8."

Lie (pronounced Lee) groups were invented by 19th-century Norwegian mathematician Sophus Lie in his study of symmetrical objects, especially spheres, and differential calculus.

The E8 group, discovered in 1887, is the most complicated Lie group, with 248 dimensions, and was long considered impossible to solve.[/quote]
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Mar 2007 04:54:11 pm    Post subject:

I kind of gathered when I followed the link. But they don't shed any light on what variation(s) of math were used, what tools/methods were applied, or what general form the solution had.

Last edited by Guest on 28 Mar 2007 04:54:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Mar 2007 05:47:19 pm    Post subject:

Ti-Ho: "The Lie group E8" is a mathematical object, not a theorem.

I gather from the slightly more informative wikipedia article that the "mapping" referred to in CNN was finding a representation of the group in a vector space (over the complex numbers? that part was unclear). Basically, it's a different way to look at the elements of the group: each element becomes a linear transformation in the vector space, and the product of two elements becomes the composition of two transformations.
That's really all I know about the subject, since my only knowledge of representation theory comes from a week-long class this summer (and my knowledge of Lie groups is even weaker)

But if I'm reading that article right, then the solution was actually a definition of the mapping from Lie group element to vector space transformation.

Last edited by Guest on 28 Mar 2007 05:48:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement