This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Noob88

Posted: 17 Mar 2007 06:48:59 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone know how to change your IP address? I'm not really good with networking, and I tried googling it but came up sort of empty handed.
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Mar 2007 06:54:53 pm    Post subject:

Why would you want to change your IP address?
Noob88

Posted: 17 Mar 2007 06:58:14 pm    Post subject:

It isn't an illegal process... is it? I've been reading up on it on the net and everywhere says its perfectly legal.
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Mar 2007 07:01:01 pm    Post subject:

I know it's legal, but it's kind of like moving. It's a pain. Just use a proxy if you want to be anonymous
Cure

Posted: 17 Mar 2007 07:05:47 pm    Post subject:

What kind of router do you have?
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 17 Mar 2007 07:37:17 pm    Post subject:

http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopic=5943

I'll ask you the same question that was asked to him. What exactly are you trying to do?

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Mar 2007 01:37:14 pm    Post subject:

luby wrote:
I know it's legal, but it's kind of like moving.  It's a pain.  Just use a proxy if you want to be anonymous
[post="99052"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Don't use proxy and anonymous as if they're the same thing, they're not. Proxies and anonymizers don't serve the same purpose. An anonymizer can "hide" your ip address, a proxy saves web pages on a network so if a second computer tries to access the same web page as computer one just did, instead of contacting the web server it just displays the same page it already retrieved for user 1. A proxy can also block web pages on a network.

JoeImp wrote:
http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopic=5943

I'll ask you the same question that was asked to him. What exactly are you trying to do?
[post="99055"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think he's just trying to hide his ip while surfing on the net.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Mar 2007 02:01:55 pm    Post subject:

Generally, all a proxy is is a channeler of connections.

While doing so it can monitor, manage, or filter traffic.

Monitoring is usually used against you, to log data about your connections or in the worst case personal data and even passwords. Have fun doing online banking through a proxy.

Managing can be all sorts of things from connection pooling to caching.

With filtering you can think of blocking connections or data that meet certain criteria.

An anonymizer is ANY software used to hide personal information while on the internet. A proxy can hide your IP, and most web proxies do, thereby being an anonymizer.

So there's always an issue of trust here, either with the parties you want to hide from in the first place, or the "middleman" (proxy).

However none of this has anything to do with changing your IP address.

To do so you need to release your current IP address, most likely from the configuration page of your modem/router, and then renew the address and you should be given a new one from the pool your ISP has available for you.

Your IP address can however be statically linked to the MAC address of your modem/router, meaning you'd just get your old IP again. Then you either have to change the MAC address somehow or personally request to have your IP changed by your ISP.

If you have no DHCP enabled router in the network between your modem and your PC, you may be able to release the IP address from the PC itself.

In Windows:

ipconfig /release

And then renew to get a new address:

ipconfig /renew

However, it's most likely that this only manages your LAN IP as given to you by whatever DHCP server you use on the LAN. (Most routers have a DHCP server enabled by default)

Last edited by Guest on 18 Mar 2007 02:03:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement