This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Mar 2007 12:29:49 pm    Post subject:

Or you could just download and install Intel's graphic drivers. Or right click and uninstall the current drivers to try the default Windows drivers.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Mar 2007 12:30:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 11 Mar 2007 01:15:00 pm    Post subject:

I got the problem fixed! *celebrates*

After replacing the driver with my older brother's driver, the blue screen still persisted during non-safe mode. So I went to the Dell support site (I have a weird combination of a Dell and an Intel laptop) and found a driver for laptops like mine that is used to attach a new monitor to it. But not only did it install the drivers needed for this task, but updated the normal graphics driver, so now it works!

Turns out the driver I had contained a loophole viruses could exploit by forcing Windows to open up a website with an astronomical unit long URL and make it crash in the process :ninja: .
Cure

Posted: 14 Mar 2007 02:21:14 pm    Post subject:

Delnar_Ersike wrote:
I have a weird combination of a Dell and an Intel laptop
Dell is the brand, Intel is the processor. That's not weird. I've never seen/owned a Dell that didn't have an Intel processor.

That driver sounds pretty nasty. You're saying Windows Update installed it? Glad you got it fixed.
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 14 Mar 2007 08:26:48 pm    Post subject:

Cure wrote:
Delnar_Ersike wrote:
Dell is the brand, Intel is the processor. That's not weird. I've never seen/owned a Dell that didn't have an Intel processor.

That driver sounds pretty nasty. You're saying Windows Update installed it? Glad you got it fixed.
[post="98834"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I didn't get it fixed...technically. It is still on my computer, as faulty as ever.

What I did was download and install the driver from the Dell support site that allows you to put an external monitor onto the laptop. I then configured my laptop to make it believe I had attached an external monitor. But that's not the trick yet: the trick was when I made the laptop also believe that the external monitor was the monitor attached to the laptop (it's kind of hard to explain), so instead of using the faulty driver, it used the driver that is needed for plug-and-play monitors! Cool

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 16 Mar 2007 01:46:21 pm    Post subject:

Delnar_Ersike wrote:
I got the problem fixed! *celebrates*  [post="98646"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Delnar_Ersike wrote:
Cure wrote:
Delnar_Ersike wrote:

That driver sounds pretty nasty. You're saying Windows Update installed it? Glad you got it fixed. [post="98834"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I didn't get it fixed...technically. It is still on my computer, as faulty as ever. [post="98861"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Did you get the problem fixed or not? Either way from the way you described going about this, I don't think that was a good idea. You should have uninstalled the bad driver and reinstalled a new one.

Last edited by Guest on 16 Mar 2007 04:39:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 16 Mar 2007 08:51:19 pm    Post subject:

Newbie wrote:
Delnar_Ersike wrote:
I got the problem fixed! *celebrates*  [post="98646"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Delnar_Ersike wrote:
Cure wrote:
Delnar_Ersike wrote:

That driver sounds pretty nasty. You're saying Windows Update installed it? Glad you got it fixed. [post="98834"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I didn't get it fixed...technically. It is still on my computer, as faulty as ever. [post="98861"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Did you get the problem fixed or not? Either way from the way you described going about this, I don't think that was a good idea. You should have uninstalled the bad driver and reinstalled a new one.
[post="98965"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Let me clarify: I fixed it, installed a new driver, but didnot remove the old one.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Mar 2007 07:38:01 pm    Post subject:

Newbie wrote:
The BSOD in windows xp is almost always hardware related. When you see the bsod some hardware is faulty, so if you recently installed new hardware try removing it and see what happens.
[post="98618"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

BSOD in XP is almost always a driver issue. Especially Video drivers. They are notorious, which is why Microsoft has switched Windows vista to use the WDDM Driver model instead of the XPDM model used by XP. Vista still supports XPDM, but it requires a WDDM driver for the Aero interface. Additionally, newer WDDM drivers are less problematic than the previous XPDM, WDM, and very old VXD (Windows 95) driver models. Only problem is that the newer WDDM model does not support using multiple video cards that take different drivers. I.e. do not put an Nvidia and an ATI card in the same computer and expect to span your desktop across multiple cards, multiple monitors unless you want to use the older XPDM driver model. Your choice is only WDDM (preferred) or XPDM (Legacy) for Vista. With WDDM, you can run only one graphics driver.

Delnar_Ersike wrote:
I got the problem fixed! *celebrates*

After replacing the driver with my older brother's driver, the blue screen still persisted during non-safe mode. So I went to the Dell support site (I have a weird combination of a Dell and an Intel laptop) and found a driver for laptops like mine that is used to attach a new monitor to it. But not only did it install the drivers needed for this task, but updated the normal graphics driver, so now it works!

Turns out the driver I had contained a loophole viruses could exploit by forcing Windows to open up a website with an astronomical unit long URL and make it crash in the process :ninja: .
[post="98646"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You guys made this problem much harder than it actually was. You went way overboard for such a simple problem

How you should have fixed it:

1. When you see the BSOD, write down the file it was complaining about. Probably something like intchdmi.sys, which would let you know the graphics driver crapped out before the GUI loaded. On nvidia systems, there is usually something like nvidiaxxx.sy or nvxxxx.sys... you get the idea. Write down this information.

2. If the system reboots automatically, press F8 and select to turn off automatic restart on system failure.

3. After you have the information, it is a good idea to attempt to start windows minimally. Normally this means starting in SafeMode; however, in this scenario that was not actually the ideal choice to fix the problem. It made fixing the problem a little bit more challenging though it would be ideal for doing a System Restore from Safe Mode in many cases.

4. In this case, the more appropriate option would have been to select "Enable VGA Mode" from the Advanced Startup Options menu. That would load absolutely all your drivers and your complete system except the video driver. Basically everything would be normal but 16 colors 640x480 VGA. However, everything else would work. Printing, the Internet, et cetera.

5. Driver Rollback would have been the very best fix here. Go to Device Manager and look at the resource the driver uses and its version numbers and vendor info. Jot that info down and then click Rollback Driver. If you cannot rollback, just download an appropriate driver and select update driver then point to a proper .inf file. "Update Driver" will uninstall the broken driver and install the new on the exact same Vendor/Device PNP id. Hence, it would fix the problem. Being that you are in VGA mode, the new driver would never attempt to start. The device manager should change to a Yellow Exclamation Mark and change to something like "Driver Failed to Initialize"

6. Restart Windows and you are all set. I honestly think a simple "Enable VGA Mode" then "Driver Rollback" would have been the best method for attacking this problem.

Glad you got it fixed.

-NETWiz
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement