This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 09 Mar 2007 06:47:05 pm    Post subject:

Alright, so I got some updates for Windows. When I rebooted my PC, the command prompt came up and the PC froze for a minute. After that, a message came up saying:
"You computer has been shut down so as not to cause damage to it due to entering an infinite loop. If this is your first time seeing this blue screen, restart your computer.
The infinite loop was caused by the graphics driver..."
Then:
"***STOP: 0x000000EA (0x89536968 0x89603008 0xBA4DFCB4 0x00000001)"

So I restarted my computer as the instructions said. When it started up again, same case scenario. No matter how many times I restarted it, I got 3 seconds to move the mouse before the command screen popped up, the laptop froze for 1 minute, and the blue screen of death popped up.
I can be in serious trouble because I use the same laptop my father uses for Skyping people (because he had the genial idea of installing Skype on the laptop with the slowest and most unstable internet connection in the house :hmpf: ). Since the laptop is showing up this blue screen of death, he cannot Skype, so he cannot conduct his business correctly.
I have so far found no support for this type of error, only for similar errors concerning nVidia graphics card.
I am in need of serious help or at least the leading to serious help!!!

NOTE: I am right now typing on my mother's Mac OSX

Last edited by Guest on 09 Mar 2007 06:48:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 09 Mar 2007 06:52:26 pm    Post subject:

What kind of computer are you using? When you press the on key, are there any options to go into safe mode or is it just black? Have you taken out the battery and let it sit? Did the updates finish?

Last edited by Guest on 09 Mar 2007 06:53:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 Mar 2007 07:01:18 pm    Post subject:

I would probably boot the computer into safemode and remove the video driver. (backup driver first). Anyway after that reboot and see if that works. If it does then go on the net and find a video driver suitable for the laptop and install it to it. If it doesn't, reinstall the driver and see if you have any restore points you can roll your computer back to. I'm not sure though if you can access this in safe mode but give it a shot.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Mar 2007 07:02:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 09 Mar 2007 07:09:02 pm    Post subject:

baorder54 wrote:
What kind of computer are you using?  When you press the on key, are there any options to go into safe mode or is it just black?  Have you taken out the battery and let it sit?  Did the updates finish?
[post="98523"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

An old Intel laptop (sorry, but I do not know specifications other than the processor number ends with 15 and that the graphics memory chip also uses the system memory chip, so if the system memory chip screws up, then so does the graphics one)
I usually don't have enough time to do anything. Once I was lucky, though, and got the Task Manager running 1 second before the laptop froze.
I haven't tried batteries yet, but I think the problem has to do something with a corrupt file in the Windows Updates I installed...
They finished downloading and installing. That is why I had to restart my laptop in the first place.

My dad tried switching the memory card with a newer one, but it didn't work.

BTW, what is safemode and how can I put my laptop into it? Sorry, I don't know as much about hardware stuff as software... Cool
Neekstar

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 09 Mar 2007 07:43:37 pm    Post subject:

Delnar_Ersike wrote:
baorder54 wrote:
What kind of computer are you using?  When you press the on key, are there any options to go into safe mode or is it just black?  Have you taken out the battery and let it sit?  Did the updates finish?
[post="98523"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

An old Intel laptop (sorry, but I do not know specifications other than the processor number ends with 15 and that the graphics memory chip also uses the system memory chip, so if the system memory chip screws up, then so does the graphics one)
I usually don't have enough time to do anything. Once I was lucky, though, and got the Task Manager running 1 second before the laptop froze.
I haven't tried batteries yet, but I think the problem has to do something with a corrupt file in the Windows Updates I installed...
They finished downloading and installing. That is why I had to restart my laptop in the first place.

My dad tried switching the memory card with a newer one, but it didn't work.

BTW, what is safemode and how can I put my laptop into it? Sorry, I don't know as much about hardware stuff as software... Cool
[post="98527"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Windows Update rearing its ugly head once again...

Safe mode is what it says, its a "safe mode" with just the core functionality needed to run Windows. It runs only the very basic part of Windows, so you can try to find out what the problem is with safe mode because most likely the corrupted file will not be running. To access safe mode I believe you have to hold some key during start-up. I'm not sure what it is exactly, either f4 or f5 or f12... try googling it for more information Wink

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 Mar 2007 08:19:17 pm    Post subject:

Usually safe mode is key F8 and would be pressed when you see the company logo of whomever you bought the laptop from. Not all computers have F8 as the key to enter safe mode and it is really based on what bios you have which would determine the key. I would search google for your specific computer or just try F8.
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 10 Mar 2007 12:53:03 am    Post subject:

Newbie wrote:
Usually safe mode is key F8 and would be pressed when you see the company logo of whomever you bought the laptop from. Not all computers have F8 as the key to enter safe mode and it is really based on what bios you have which would determine the key. I would search google for your specific computer or just try F8.
[post="98532"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Alright, it works under safemode, it was f8 BTW. I have two questions:
1) What tasks can't I do in safemode that I could do normally?
2) How do I make it so I wouldn't have to enter safemode every time I restart? Remove the update files?

EDIT: posting from safe mode computer now, though it is a real pain in the @$$ :hmpf:

Last edited by Guest on 10 Mar 2007 01:17:18 am; edited 1 time in total
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 10 Mar 2007 01:52:27 am    Post subject:

1) Safe Mode Functionality

2) I looked around control panel: Go to control panel, then maintence/performance, then System, or computer basic info, then go to advanced. There is an option for start up and recovery. I dont know if it will help but you can fool around there.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Mar 2007 07:42:04 am    Post subject:

Newbie wrote:
[post="98532"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's always F8. It's not BIOS related, it's Windows. Pressing F8 won't work untill right between POST and Windows starting.

You can remove the updates in the Add or Remove Programs screen which you can find in control panel.

You can uninstall the graphics driver from the Device Manager in MMC which you can find through Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager.

I'd do both and reboot.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 10 Mar 2007 11:05:39 am    Post subject:

I was thinking of entering the bios for some reason and how the F key would vary. Sorry. Anyway if your on XP make sure you hold the F8 key, because I didn't have any luck getting into safe mode just tapping it.

Last edited by Guest on 10 Mar 2007 11:08:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 10 Mar 2007 04:08:14 pm    Post subject:

Alright, I'll try resetting the driver. I have already removed all of the updates I had installed and have located the .dll file that was causing the problem in the system backup files and the i368 files. I was planning to try to replce the one in the i368 file (the one the laptop uses) with the one in the backup files that the laptop uses in safemode, but I'll try removing the driver in the control panel instead once I get home.

Unluckily, all the computers and laptops in the house are hooked up to one router (for reasons I think I won't explain Rolling Eyes ) and this morning, the router's adapter decided it couldn't handle 15 internet connections at once and burned out the adapter. So...no more internet in the house for a day or more, depending on how long my dad can make it without using the internet. Right now, I am typing on a computer in the local library and will quickly log off because it takes a whole minute to load the page (Arcane Wizard, I just hate your moving signature at the moment) Mad
Noob88

Posted: 10 Mar 2007 05:13:03 pm    Post subject:

Maybe a little off topic from Delnar's problem, but I've been having the blue screen come up upon starting my computer saying "BAD_POOL_HEADER." I don't know how to get it to stop. After resetting my computer, however, it starts up fine and I find no problem with my PC. The blue screen shows up like 1 out of 10 times, and I can't figure out what it means or if it's harmful to my computer :ninja:
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Mar 2007 05:34:08 pm    Post subject:

Noob88: Next time you get a BSoD, you can pull up an error code for us. :)

Are you using Windows XP SP2? If you are, and in conjunction with NETGEAR, then update the
drivers. The key word is update; a simple reinstall of the existing ones likely won't fix anything.

Last edited by Guest on 10 Mar 2007 05:46:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 10 Mar 2007 08:58:04 pm    Post subject:

Whew, Dad got a new router installed

Yes, I am using SP2, though I do not know about the NETGEAR part.
How do I update the drivers? I cannot use Windows Update in safemode because of a mysterious reason...
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Mar 2007 09:15:43 pm    Post subject:

The entirety of my post was responding to Noob88. I should have quoted properly.

Last edited by Guest on 10 Mar 2007 09:17:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 10 Mar 2007 09:35:20 pm    Post subject:

The BSOD in windows xp is almost always hardware related. When you see the bsod some hardware is faulty, so if you recently installed new hardware try removing it and see what happens.
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 11 Mar 2007 12:32:49 am    Post subject:

Newbie wrote:
The BSOD in windows xp is almost always hardware related. When you see the bsod some hardware is faulty, so if you recently installed new hardware try removing it and see what happens.
[post="98618"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

There was no new hardware, but there was new software in this case.

So are you guys saying the only ways to fix this are to:
a) completely remove the intel graphics driver and have Windows run on the safemode graphics driver even in non-safe mode
Cool reinstall Windows XP or get Windows Vista
c) get a new computer/laptop

Well, if that is the case... :hmpf:
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Mar 2007 07:17:10 am    Post subject:

Well it's obviously a graphics driver problem so I don't think it's very outragious to advice you to fix your driver.

The rest of your complaint is like whining you need to buy a new car because you won't replace your flat tire.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Mar 2007 10:54:16 am    Post subject:

Delnar_Ersike wrote:
Newbie wrote:
[post="98618"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

There was no new hardware, but there was new software in this case.

So are you guys saying the only ways to fix this are to:
a) completely remove the intel graphics driver and have Windows run on the safemode graphics driver even in non-safe mode
Cool reinstall Windows XP or get Windows Vista
c) get a new computer/laptop

Well, if that is the case... :hmpf:
[post="98622"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No to all of those. Do not get Vista. It has already proven to be a waste of money. (Mostly eyecandy no features, and you would still have to find the driver to your video card so you'd still be in the same situation as you are with XP) Don't run on a safemode graphics driver, if that even exsist. I don't think it does. Don't get a new computer/laptop. Go into safemode delete the driver, and install a new one. If for some reason that doesn't work despite the fact you knew you had the right driver, it is possible your video card might have gone bad, and thats the reason you see this Bsod.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Mar 2007 10:55:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 11 Mar 2007 11:48:11 am    Post subject:

Ok, guess I am lucky right now. About a month ago, my older brother was running out of space on his laptop (after he told me yesterday what files take up that much space and where they are located, I told him they are viruses Rolling Eyes ) and came across a file named i386: the backup driver files for Intel laptops. Thinking the file was useless, he deleted it from his laptop, but before he did, he burned a CD with those files. I will ask him today to give me the CD so I can replace my faulty graphics driver with his good graphics driver backup.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement