This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Website subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. United-TI Top Management => Website
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Oct 2003 03:35:30 am    Post subject:

UTI is only a web forum right now and a temporay web page. I think it's important that we get the website up and running before the TI-community and our members despair Wink
Anyway, has anyone started with the website construction. I see that AlienCC using his Zabotage CMS as the temporary frontpage. Question: is this supposed to be the new UTI site? If so, when is it fully functional?

I also have some PHP codebase for the UTI website. I have begun with the back-end (admin area). The two things I have finished are the membership management and file-archiving. What is left is basically

• News management (this one shouldn't require that much time)
  • Articles/FAQ database
  • Website link archive (this one is easy as well)
  • Project management (may take some time to complete)
  • Program archive stats.
Now I wonder what plans Jon and the rest of the board of directors have.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Oct 2003 06:08:13 pm    Post subject:

I was amazingly board this summer, so I learned PHP and MySQL by setting up Php 4.3.2 and MySQL 4.x, and I now have a good understanding of both PHP and perl. I then looked at the format of this forum, and found that much of it is very simple.

Example, if you look at this topic, it is 644.

index.php?showtopic=644

Does something like:
SELECT * from IBFposts WHERE topic_id='644' ORDER BY pid

I got made a killer login script this summer. In PHP.

It handles authentication to the next level!

*128 encrypted passwords (unbreakable even if someone can SELECT the info from the DB)

*encrypted session # that are guaranteed unique

*simple session id i.e. 7
*Makes for simple access

*IP stamp
*Stolen Cookies won't work

*Browser and OS detection (gets a string)
*Would likely prevent IP spoofing with stolen cookie

*Time Stamp (unix style works great for simple calulation)
*Limited time session forced by server if the browser doesn't drop the cookie, the server will stop accepting it after a short time anyway

*Keeps track of last click made by user
*Can display users active in admin area in last 15minutes...
*If a user has a 1 hour session but does not do anything for 15 minutes, we can assume inactivity and end the session on the server

*Can keep track of where the user is
*Simply put a number in an SQL query colum each time a user clicks a link

*Makes cookie wo/expiracy date so closing the browser tells browser to delete the cookie.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 03 Oct 2003 02:43:10 am    Post subject:

Quote:
UTI is only a web forum right now and a temporay web page. I think it's important that we get the website up and running before the TI-community and our members despair
Anyway, has anyone started with the website construction. I see that AlienCC using his Zabotage CMS as the temporary frontpage. Question: is this supposed to be the new UTI site? If so, when is it fully functional?

This was initially done as a temporary measure yes (due to lack of anyone else having something better to put up at the time), however I would like you to login and check out the admin functions before you decide to totally scrap it. I'd also like for you to take a gander over at the development tree of it (currently runs the same code the United-TI homepage does) so you can get a better idea of what the theme can be made to look like (yes the one on United-TI's page does kinda suck a lot). David, you should have full admin access to the United-TI page, and if you create an account on the development page it will help to give you a better idea how the admin privs work.
http://www.aliencc.com/zb/

Quote:
I also have some PHP codebase for the UTI website. I have begun with the back-end (admin area). The two things I have finished are the membership management and file-archiving. What is left is basically
News management (this one shouldn't require that much time)
Articles/FAQ database
Website link archive (this one is easy as well)
Project management (may take some time to complete)
Program archive stats.

Some of those features are implemented into zabotage already to an extent (what you see in the admin side of things, if you can click it, then it should work)... David, if you know perl or are willing to try it, I'll release my sourcecode to you if you want to modify it to speed things up. Or if you want to help develop zabotage that is welcome as well.

Decisions as important as the website need to have more then just my opinion involved, I also think everyone involved should look at the current options, therefore making the best educated decision possible. Just to clarify so there is no confusion, which ever way we choose to take this webpage I will support.

--AlienCC
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 03 Oct 2003 04:41:45 am    Post subject:

And maybe I could help too.

BTW, David,

You can also write your code in PHP if you choose sience you can still get input, connect to the databases, process requests, and print html to the browser.

We could have both.
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Oct 2003 12:30:33 pm    Post subject:

Okay, I finally accessed the Zabotage admin area and explored it. It has never been my intention to scrap it, but I kindly propose we should build a customized CMS for United TI, preferably in PHP - just because there are more who know PHP than Perl, which makes delegation of the task easier, hopefully the site will be finished sooner because of that. Or on the other hand, as Justin B said, it is possible to mix PHP and Perl, providing that we have a clearly defined database structure.

A questions for the admins; what language(s) do you know (PHP/Perl), and which do you prefer to program in? Also, how much time can you spend developing?
Evidently, I prefer PHP. Right now, there ain't much time for programming, but I expect to have my hands free in approximately two-three weeks.

Any opinions or comments?

Last edited by Guest on 10 Oct 2003 12:36:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 10 Oct 2003 03:42:12 pm    Post subject:

PHP sounds good to me.

We can do it in PHP. I will ask Jon to upgrade PHP tonight.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 11 Oct 2003 04:10:18 am    Post subject:

No need to upgrade php at this time, the conflicts between php and mysql have been resolved by my upgrading mysql yesterday.

Cheers.

--AlienCC
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Oct 2003 01:08:03 pm    Post subject:

Thank You much, Jon.

-Jbirk
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 01 Nov 2003 05:22:02 am    Post subject:

Has anyone else been doing much with the website?
I sure haven't.

--AlienCC
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Nov 2003 02:46:07 pm    Post subject:

I believe David has been doing some.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 24 May 2004 02:14:48 am    Post subject:

Just a small reminder to everyone here that UTI is a year old now. David was working on the mainpage, but it seems as though it will be impossible for him to finish it, and we still don't have his codebase.

David wrote:

* News management (this one shouldn't require that much time)
    * Articles/FAQ database
    * Website link archive (this one is easy as well)
    * Project management (may take some time to complete)
    * Program archive stats.

From the quoted, I get an idea in my mind what David was looking for, so going forward I will be working on the development of the main page, with similar interest in mind.

With what I have for my own perl codebase some of that is already done, some of it half done, and some of it not done at all. My main focus will be programming functionality into the site. My goal is to have something useable in place of the current Zabotage that is the main page within 2 months time.

During this time I would hope we can wrap up the Logo Contest so that everything will fit seemlessly together at the unveiling of the new page.

--AlienCC
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jun 2004 12:51:12 pm    Post subject:

When the part of Zabotage that handles the skin is finished (or is it already) and we have a winning logo I could make a skin to match the logo, or maybe a bunch so people can choose.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 02 Jun 2004 02:07:55 pm    Post subject:

The part that handles skins / themes is mostly done, with minor tweaking left. Of course as I add stuff like the new version of the download code, I will be making a few changes to some of how it works now. That aside, aking a theme for United TI really is kind of dependant on the logo in order to tie everything together, and make it feel like it belongs.

Little bit of an update on development:

* News management (known as articles in my code, fully implemented, minus the user comment system, which will come in some more time)
* Articles/FAQ database (known solely as FAQs in my code, fully implemented, but not well tested.)

* Website link archive (not implemented yet)
* Project management (this will tie into the download code I previously had, and will utilize a specialized pluggin for UTI that I will be working on soon)
* Program archive stats. (this again ties into the download code, but not specific to the UTI Pluggin)

There is still a lot of work to be done, and much of it is not listed here. My deadline of 2 months should be hit so long as I don't get any contract work, but if I do it takes priority.

--AlienCC
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement