This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Mar 2007 12:48:10 am    Post subject:

OK, I just want to say that this is my first RPG. And that it's called Pi because the pi symbol is the strongest enemy and the hardest boss.

Metroid Pi is essentially [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]expr("prgmZOITH"+"prgmPURE"
. And no, I don't mean [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]ERR:DATA TYPE. If you don't know Basic, or you just don't know where [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]prgmPURE came from, Metroid Pi is a combination of Zoith and Metroid Pure. Like Pure, it's going to have 3-4 bosses, 3 powerups, has a 8*12 screen with an 8*4 HUD, and most tiles are based on the Finance Vars N. Like Zoith, it involves overlapping characters and instead of matrices uses strings for detection.

It will run faster than both of it's elements.

To date, I have the first boss done, most of the rooms coded, shooting, and all powerups integrated. Currently I am only working on the second boss.

If you want to see what I have done, then download the attachment.

What I need right now is the second boss. Not the actual code, but the idea. burr has suggested a boss that will eventually split in half, but I think this would be better suited for an end-game or hidden boss.

And as usual, optimizations are wanted and appreciated. The same goes for comments.

[attachment=1350:attachment]

EDIT: Make sure to check the most recent posts for the most recent version.

Last edited by Guest on 11 May 2007 06:23:16 am; edited 1 time in total
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 05 Mar 2007 08:14:52 am    Post subject:

How's this for a boss idea? the room gradually shrinks as you face him. I will look at the actual code when I get a chance.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Mar 2007 09:25:49 am    Post subject:

Hrrmm....it would have to load several times, or there would be major slowdowns when the room shrinks.
vuurrobin

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Mar 2007 02:53:10 pm    Post subject:

I can't use the file becouse my computer doesn't like .tig files

could you please give it as a 8xp/8xg file.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Mar 2007 09:16:47 pm    Post subject:

OK, I updated the version, new updates, and as requested, as separate files. Check out the first post.

EDIT: Oops, that was the developer's version. Re-dl it, please.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Mar 2007 11:51:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
vuurrobin

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Mar 2007 07:14:49 am    Post subject:

the game looks great.

but you forgot to include a readme, so I don't know how to shoot :blush:
I did get the shock beam tho

some code thingies

in prgmZBOSS1 you have [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]for(L,0,14 :end

instead, you could do [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]rand(number
I saw more like these

the last line of prgmZZMAP is a [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]return, which is unnesserary.
and isn't it easier to have the other 2 lines in the programm itself instead of making it a subroutine?

sometimes, you stored a single variable (like [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Y) in ans to use in the next line. isn't it better to use [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Y in the next line instead of ans?

when I started the game, I didn't get the title screen. dunno if it was intended.

I didn't look that good so there might be some others.

as for the second boss, you can have the player stand on a platform with lava on the side. you would have to avoid projectiles while shouting the boss, or else you would fall in the lava.

this looks more like a third person shooter than a role playing game to me.

good luck with the game.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Mar 2007 07:25:05 am    Post subject:

You shoot with [2nd].

I did that because (1) It saves bytes, because I wasn't about to replace [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Ans
with [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Y+theta.

The extra [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Return is the kinda stuff I neglect. Hehe. Thanks for pointing it out.

I didn't intend to show the title yet.

The problem with replace a For( loop with [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]rand([number] is that it screws up [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Ans.

Actually, this is more RPG-like than any other game I've made.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Mar 2007 01:11:11 pm    Post subject:

[font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]If dim(rand([number]

Last edited by Guest on 09 Mar 2007 01:11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Mar 2007 06:05:01 pm    Post subject:

Note that it won't ever skip the next command, because [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]dim(rand(number is always equal to [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]number which isn't 0.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Mar 2007 06:29:28 pm    Post subject:

Hmmm...yeah, but the way I have it set up, that'll just cause the beam to go slower consistently.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Mar 2007 06:54:07 pm    Post subject:

I'm confused by that. A delay is a delay—it's no different from the [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]For() loop
routine except that a similar adjustment for both adds on a different waiting
time for each. But, if you want it to wait only under a certain condition, then:

[font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]If condition=true
If dim(rand(number
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Mar 2007 07:56:57 pm    Post subject:

True. But still...I need a lot of influence to be able to change my methods for accomplishing certain things.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Apr 2007 08:47:40 pm    Post subject:

If you haven't seen in my sig, I have revived this project, and I have a very lame idea for the second boss. It actually requires you have a decent amount of health at the end Smile. It's pretty easy to beat, but it'll leave you with very little amounts of health, so I suggest saving the Health replenisher until the last boss.

The second boss goes like this. Very simple. Walk in, get chased by a possessed Theta symbol. Shoot it, it gets faster, and faster, until it just sticks to you. I won't tell you anything beyond that.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Apr 2007 04:34:28 pm    Post subject:

Umm...how many people actually want to see this project finished? I've become rather unmotivated for some reason...
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 29 Apr 2007 04:49:48 pm    Post subject:

Harrierfalcon wrote:
Umm...how many people actually want to see this project finished?  I've become rather unmotivated for some reason...
[post="102263"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The game looks great so far! I urge you to finish the second level!
Btw, how was that for motivation? Razz

I know how you feel when suddenly you become uninterested in the game you're making. Here's what I do to get my incentive back:
1) go to ticalc's archive
2) look at all the ti83 basic games
3) compare your game to their's
4)If it is better: continue with your project
__If it is worse: Stop and never think about programming again Wink

Just kidding on the last step, I know there are some pretty good games out there Laughing
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 29 Apr 2007 08:37:20 pm    Post subject:

Harrierfalcon wrote:
Umm...how many people actually want to see this project finished?  I've become rather unmotivated for some reason...
[post="102263"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If it's faster than than Metroid Pure, I want it. If it's faster than Metroid II: Evolution, I want it BADLY. If it's slower than any Metroid game so far, I don't want it Very Happy .
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Apr 2007 08:50:40 pm    Post subject:

Si, si. It is faster than both. It has better graphics than Pure. I'd be hard pressed to beat Evolutions graphics in pure basic.

Shall I attach what I have so far?

Last edited by Guest on 29 Apr 2007 08:58:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xphoenix

Elite

Posted: 29 Apr 2007 11:09:51 pm    Post subject:

Both PTI and TilEm are refusing to cooperate. PTI won't let me access the mem menu, and TilEm isn't shooting, so I can't give feedback.
Sad
But moving and jumping are smooth.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 29 Apr 2007 11:54:18 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
> Metroid Pi 92% (Unmotivated. Let me know if you can think of a good reason to finish)

Hmmm... Well lets pertend that each 1% of work = 10 minutes of time. 10 x 92 is 920 which means you used 15.33 hours to make it this far. Now 8% would mean that it only will take you 80 minutes, an 1.33 hours. Now, if you finished, those 15.33 hours spent would have been put to good use, plus you only have an hour more to go. If you stop, you wasted 15 hours of your life.

You're already over the hill dude. Heck you're rolling across the finish line.
Xphoenix

Elite

Posted: 30 Apr 2007 12:07:57 am    Post subject:

[unmotivate]
Except you've collapsed and need a drink.
[/unmotivate]

No, not really. You should keep on going!

Last edited by Guest on 30 Apr 2007 12:16:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 18 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement